I Hate My Lift! Can I Lose the Shackles? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I Hate My Lift! Can I Lose the Shackles?

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 02-26-2013, 10:44 AM   #16
soonermatt
1994 YJ Wrangler 

If you want to buy a cheap angle grinder from Harbor Freight ($15) and some cutting wheels you could just hack those shackles into what you want. You could also just slip them into that next bolt hole and cut off the excess. No need to order any new parts....

You could also play with removing the transfer case drop or just swap it out with some washers instead. You might need it at all.

soonermatt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 12:00 PM   #17
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69moparman View Post
WOW !!! Those shims are in backwards. They're supposed to keep your axle more level not tilted toward the sky. you will have a tough time getting lube in there.
the shims are in the right direction but appear too large. the idea is when going without an SYE and using a TC drop the shims will point the pinion input slightly higher then stock. when you drop the Tcase you create a bit of angle that then needs to be matched. lift kit shims generally cheat a bit more to try to alleviate ujoint bind without creating vibrations. they thread the needle between bind and vibration potential.

you will want to deal with this asap. any vibration is a bad thing. it will lead to diff leaks and pinion bearing wear. drop the shackles and lower the pinion input. it will steer better as well.
Unread 02-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #18
jonelby90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks again for all of the comments. I didn't get a chance to take a better picture of the angles, but it seems moot anyway. I'm going to order some 5" shackles, tomorrow. I'm not going to expend any time or spend any money farting around with those crappy shackles. I'm also looking at getting a Tom Woods SYE kit. I don't mind spending the money for this, I just keep telling myself I won't get carried away.

Once I have the new shackles in and the wedges pulled out, I will reset the pinion angle and then decide if I should lose the TC drop. I need to check clearance between the top of the TH350 and the floor. I may need to compromise the drop as suggested.

I will post an update soon.
jonelby90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #19
jonelby90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggityjeeper

ll either way..they are probably 'lowering' it and inch.....

and holy fricking shackles..... I would remove it ALL....shackles, shims, and tcase drop and take it for a drive and see how it drives, my guess is it will be fine.... removing it all will basically bring u back to stock.....unless u hve lift springs in there which it kinda looks like u do, not flat enuff to be stockers.... it will be a trial and error thing
Yeah they must be lift springs. The current measurement to the rocker is 24.5". The crappy shackles only account for 1 1/2" lift.
jonelby90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.