I Hate My Clutch! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I Hate My Clutch!

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-12-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
jefflp
1993 YJ Wrangler 

sometimes those bands wont break might have to reach in after you bleed it a little and pop them of if they don't the reason they say leave them on is so the slave doesn't open too far and break the seals inside if this happened it would explain the symptoms (speaking from experience)

jefflp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 09:32 AM   #17
Destr0
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I could never get my MC SC to bleed properly (94 with external slave)- I took back the AZ junk and bought a complete pre-bled system from RockAuto. No issues and wish I had done that the first time- I spend a long time trying all the different ways the internet said to bleed the system with no luck.
Destr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #18
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Ok guys. So, I bought a Luk master cylinder and installed it yesterday. After installing it and bleeding the slave, it worked perfect........until I drove it on the freeway. My clutch pedal began to get lower and lower and lower until I had no pressure. The different thing about it now was that I was that, if I pumped the brake pedal a lot, I was able to gain a little bit of pressure back (about 1/4 of the pedal).

Zeus: Can you or anyone else explain how to bench bleed the master cylinder of these? Because its not the type of fitting the you can screw on. It's the fitting with the slave to hold in the line.

I really don't want to drop the transmission unless I have to (internal slave). Any other ideas of what it can be besides the slave?

I don't lose any fluid, so I don't think I have a leak. The level of the reservoir stays the same. Thanks guys.
ign_cas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM   #19
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

It's got to be your slave cylinder. It could have an internal leak. If you had air in the line it would have never worked right.
Unread 04-13-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign_cas
Ok guys. So, I bought a Luk master cylinder and installed it yesterday. After installing it and bleeding the slave, it worked perfect........until I drove it on the freeway. My clutch pedal began to get lower and lower and lower until I had no pressure. The different thing about it now was that I was that, if I pumped the brake pedal a lot, I was able to gain a little bit of pressure back (about 1/4 of the pedal).

Zeus: Can you or anyone else explain how to bench bleed the master cylinder of these? Because its not the type of fitting the you can screw on. It's the fitting with the slave to hold in the line.

I really don't want to drop the transmission unless I have to (internal slave). Any other ideas of what it can be besides the slave?

I don't lose any fluid, so I don't think I have a leak. The level of the reservoir stays the same. Thanks guys.
Slave for sure, there are only two pieces that can malfunction in the hydro system that can cause pressure loss. Well three I guess. The hose mc and sc. If there are no leaks at all, it has to be either the mc or sc. Seeing as how you replaced the mc more than once, by process of elimination, the sc is all that is left. I know you don't want to hear that the tranny has to come off again. But it's all you can do.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The one and only fix for the stupid internal slave is to throw it away and convert to an external slave.
Once done you will never have another clutch master/slave problem that requires dropping the tranny.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #22
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Tour slave can pull air in without leaking fluid out. Its rare but it happens. Replace the slave. Its all that's left anyway.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in the middle of changing my slave. The trannys down and slave is out. My problem now is how Dow I remove the plastic connector? The cylinder plug that connects the slaves metal line to the main plastic clutch line? Thanks guys.
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #24
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Fixed my car. Turns out it was the slave cylinder. I took it out and compressed it and some liquid came out from the middle. So it was leaking a little and allowed air to come in I assume. Thanks for the help guys.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.