I Hate My Clutch! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I Hate My Clutch!

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 04-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #1
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I Hate My Clutch!

Ok guys. I have a 91 Wrangler (6cyl). First off let me start by saying that I am a college kid and this ride is my only mode of transportation. And with that said, I feel like I'm about to write an essay.

So, over spring break I dropped the tranny. Bought all new parts and replaced the clutch, pressure plate, slave/throwout bearing, and pilot bearing. I also had the flywheel resurfaced and filled up the tranny with Penzoil Syncromesh. Also installed a new clutch master cylinder (after going back to Autozone 3 times because they leaked).

After putting everything back together I bled the clutch 3 different ways.
1) Someone pumping pedal and holding while opening bleeder.
2) Putting a mighty vac to the bleeder and sucking all the air out.
3) Just opening the bleeder valve by itself (gravity).
(I could not find any leaks in the line)

After doing all this it worked fine. 1st was a little hard to get into gear and reverse would grind. Only about half the clutch pedal had pressure. Then I drove it more and realized my pedal was bottoming out before it hit the ground. Then the pressure would be less and less until I could only use 1/3 of the pedal. Then it got to the point where I couldn't shift it gear.

When driving home from school it got really bad. Usually I could turn my car off at a red light, put it into 1st, turn it back on then go when green. Now, I cant even do that because if I turn it off and put it into gear and turn it back on, it wants to shut off right away unless I give it gas.

I had to pull over and I was able to fix it temporarily. I was able to do this by opening the bleeder valve and little a bit of fluid come out. Then I would close it and the clutch would be back to normal (about half the pedal with pressure). But after a few miles it would happen again.

I'm getting really frustrated. I want to Any ideas guys? All the parts are new and I hope I don't have to drop the tranny again. Thanks guys.

ign_cas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Could be a loose fitting. I believe they are internal slave? Either that or it's typical AutoZone junk. I've had 3 of their POS slave cylinders fail on me. Luk might be your only option, and I would replace the slave and master at the same time.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The fitting seemed to be fine. On the first master I got it leaked out the rod, so i could see the fluid behind the clutch pedal. And I know they're not the best , but they're also not the worst. I remember doing this to a Comanche I had and it all worked out find. I even used one of the masters from Autozone as well. And yea. I did replace the slave and master at the same time.
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:18 PM   #4
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The AZ stuff is pretty notorious for being pretty crap, fails pretty easily. I'd consider investing into some higher quality stuff.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I bought that master cause I'm on a low budget and I can't really afford this Jeep anymore, so in trying to fix it up a little more to sell it. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money on it right now. What if the masters ok? Can there be another reason for this?
Unread 04-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign_cas
I bought that master cause I'm on a low budget and I can't really afford this Jeep anymore, so in trying to fix it up a little more to sell it. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money on it right now. What if the masters ok? Can there be another reason for this?
I am saying master. They don't have to leak to not work. When the jeep is running. Have it in neutral and pump the clutch. Then try first gear. If it worked the mc is shot. Do this when the clutch starts acting up. Pump it about 6-10 times. Spend the 105 bucks on a decent mc, that's what they cost up here. I just get the napa brand and haven't had any issues. Or test to make sure it is the problem and sell it as is, tell them it's shot. I bought mine with a shot mc. I drove it like that for 6 months lol.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2013, 10:32 PM   #7
ign_cas
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I did that and I didn't do anything. My clutch started acting bad right now before I got home and I pumped it to see if it could get the pressure back and nothing happened. That's why I'm thinking its not the master cylinder. I'm going to try bleeding it again tomorrow morning.
Unread 04-11-2013, 06:47 AM   #8
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ign_cas
I did that and I didn't do anything. My clutch started acting bad right now before I got home and I pumped it to see if it could get the pressure back and nothing happened. That's why I'm thinking its not the master cylinder. I'm going to try bleeding it again tomorrow morning.
It's either that master or the slave based on the info we received.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It sounds like a faulty slave cylinder. Since you can bleed it by only letting out a little fluid that says the air is getting in the slave not the master.

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'm guessing you still have air in the system
You have to bleed the system in a specific way or you won't get all the air out

1 - 'Bench bleed' the master cylinder first - since you already have it installed, brake the line fitting loose (but don't take it off) and have your helper depress the clutch pedal slowly - you will likely see tiny air bubbles come out through the threads - tighten the fitting before your helper lets up on the pedal - repeat as needed
2 - bleed at the slave - DON'T PUMP THE PEDAL - it will only churn up the fluid and make the fluid frothy, thus harder to get the trapped air out - brake the bleeder valve open first, then have your helper depress the pedal as if you were pressing it normally - close the valve and repeat as needed - keep a close eye on the fluid level in the master - you will probably only get 3 bleeds from 1 master filling

The possibilities of having bad parts right out of the box is a real problem
If bleeding it like I described above doesn't solve the problem, then I would agree with a bad component

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #11
87TPIYJ
1987 YJ Wrangler 

do you have fluid leaking from the slave? have you checked all the lines? check out this link. I made a power bleeder because i could never get my clutch bled. This worked like a charm.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/p...l#post15008899
Unread 04-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
Nerfz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Its the slave I went through the same issues with the crap one there...
Get one from Quadrotec.com..
Nerfz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
ezk83
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Slave set up I had the same issues with brand new stuff.
ezk83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #14
whiskeywiz
Heineken?
1989 YJ Wrangler 

i just bought a slave yesturday due to it leaking and thereby losing clutch once the reservior empties. Skimming over the slave instructions it says NOT to break the plastic bands off of the unit and it specifies a particular procedure for bleeding after install that will break in the unit properly, otherwise failure will occur. Did you do any of this or did you just slap it in and go?
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Slap it in with the bands on. Pump up clutch with pedal when its in and go

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.