I had fun today! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I had fun today!

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 04-09-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had fun today!

I thought I was just gonna put in my new seatbelts and maybe the electric fan I got from Summit. Well I here the familier rumble of the UPS truck and he dropped off the Howell kit at 11:30 this morning. Well 6 hours later it's alive! It does start fantastic now. It runs a little better then my "modified" carb. The trans does seem to shift better maybe because the TBI reacts quicker to acceleration.
Anyway, what a wiring mess! I had most of the computer stuff pulled out when I did the Nutter but the wiring is a pain. I managed to cut out the dk green wire that was spliced into the computer wires. That wire energizes the starter relay... I lost my rear defroster because of the diode thing that everything seems to run to. I did discover that I had cut my intake manifold heater wire back when I did the Nutter. Got that back in place. Discovered my fuel tank vent line is shot. Maybe that's why my tank is caved in on the bottom.
I wish the new harness was laid out better. The speed sensor wire just barely makes it. The fuses and fuel pump relay need to be mounted behind the engine on the firewall but it would be nice if they reached the old holes left from the 10&4" vac switches. The ADL plug is gonna be on the passenger side and the fuse block almost makes it to the old emission timer mount but not quite....
I have to work tomarow ( Thursdays off, 10 hr days) so I'll pick up the light for the CEL. Get a new PCV cause I busted mine and a bunch of new vacuum line. I have to run the new vent line and PCV breather and intake hoses. I have a bunch of wires to clean up but now that I know it runs I can do the "cut and see what doesn't work" process to get rid of extra wires and the factory splices where they crimped 6 yellow wires and 1 brown wire.
Anyone know what this wire in the last pic is for? It's an Orange/ white and a plug on the end. It was tucked in the wires under the battery and goes straight into the bulkhead. Can't find it in the Chilton or Haynes diagrams...

p4080596.jpg   p4090599.jpg   p4090600.jpg   p4090602.jpg  

Last edited by Burnerman; 04-09-2009 at 05:25 PM..
Burnerman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #2
Stauffeneker
2014 JK Wrangler 

Same issue here. Found that plug. Said it was A/C related, if I recall. Nice carb job. Wish I could...emissions.
Stauffeneker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

AAH.. probably the low pressure switch wire then.. It goes then..
Unread 04-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Pretty sure that wire's for A/C like mentioned. Kit's not too bad to install but I agree too that some of the harness should be a bit longer. One FYI though, I know that Howell recommends setting the timing to 8* +-2, but I had to take mine up to 12* BTDC before it stopped lagging at about 2K. But, now,,,,, woohoo.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think mines at 11*. I haven't touched it since the nutter 2 yrs ago. It runs real nice. It's great to just turn the key and have it fire right up.
Unread 04-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
shatteredsoul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

You still got the old carb off it? what kind is it? I need a upgrade bad and on the cheap
shatteredsoul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:01 PM   #7
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

He's got the stock Carter carb or I should say HAD.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
Burnerman
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
He's got MY OLD stock Carter carb or I should say HAD.
fixed that for ya!
Unread 04-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #9
UnFocused
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heck, if you guys are passing around a BBD I'd like to be first in line for getting it next. Third time's a charm you know

Plus, it'd balance my karma and stuff because then I could have the one I'm driving, the one on the bench waiting to be rebuilt, and the one I'm rebuilding! PM me with what you want for it please.
UnFocused is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2014, 07:12 PM   #10
redtadred
2007 JK Wrangler 

Good bye jk

Today I said goodbye to A great friend. We've been on some long journey's, through bumpy roads and some deep sh@#. At times things were pretty rocky. I will think of you often. I will look back on some fantastic times! Watching you go brought tears to my eyes. Goodbye Mr. J.K. Wrangler.
redtadred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.