I got those low-down soft top won't fit blues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I got those low-down soft top won't fit blues

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-12-2010, 07:06 PM   #1
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I got those low-down soft top won't fit blues

Alright, so I I just purchased a used pavement ends soft top with all of the hardware for my '95. Everything is all there and it all appears to be in good shape, aside from some fading on the canvas. But for 80 bucks I can't complain much about that. Problem is I am having one hell of a time getting this thing to fit. I have been fighting with it for 3 days now. And when I say fighting with it I mean I come back inside after a few hours of messing with it with cut up fingers, pulled muscles, knots on my head, blood blisters, etc. etc. This thing might end up killing me. I got all of the hardware on just fine. I think my Jeep must have had a soft top on it before because all of the holes for the belt rails and wind shield channel were already drilled so that was easy. I followed the directions on the pavement ends website step by step and installed the canvas to the snaps on the bows. I got it in the windshield channel and the sail panels in the corners at the rear no problem. But I can't for the life of me get the snaps above the door surrounds to reach. I lack about a half inch to an inch on both sides and I can't get the side windows into the belt rails on the tub after I start both zippers. It has been mid 70's to 80's during the days here and the top is black so it gets pretty warm. I've applied a leather reconditioner all over it in hopes of getting the canvas to soften up a little and stretch. I've left rocks in strategic places on top of the main canopy over night hoping it would stretch the fabric out. I've tried with the bows up and the spreader bars locked, with the spreader bars down, with both bows completely down, windows zipped in, out. You name it, I have tried it. What confuses me the most is that the guy I bought it from said that he took the top off of his Jeep the day before I bought it and it came off the same year model.

So my question is, do you guys have any tips or tricks or maybe something that I haven't thought of. Were supposed to get some rain here next week and I don't really want my drip rails to be funneling rain into my lap so any and all help would be much appreciated.

Last edited by BondoBbad; 04-12-2010 at 07:26 PM..
BondoBbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #2
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I used to have a pavement ends soft top. It did not have any snaps above the doors. Mine was for half soft doors. Is yours something different like hard doors?

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93YJfalcon View Post
I used to have a pavement ends soft top. It did not have any snaps above the doors. Mine was for half soft doors. Is yours something different like hard doors?
No, I have steel half doors with soft factory style uppers (squared). All of the Hardware is the same as an oem soft top. In fact everything looks just like a factory top but the windows say pavement ends. Oh and the snaps aren't on the doors them self they are on the door surrounds right above the top of the doors when they are closed, if that makes any sense.
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
94YJTech
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I have the same problem everytime I take it off. I just wait for a sunny day and wet the top down then let it dry and warm and it stretches to fit. Hope that helped.
94YJTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Tinga
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When we worked with canvas and had a PITA piece that needed to fit we threw it in the dryer for about 2 minutes. Works wonders. Not sure about the coated canvas though.
Tinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 09:58 PM   #6
NateWithoutBeer
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem with my old top. You have to let it sit out in the sun for a few hours or throw it in the dryer to loosen her up. I've had luck in the past with sending my wife out to work on it for a blow dryer, as well. Don't pull her too hard or you'll bust a zipper (I have - no fun).
NateWithoutBeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #7
TheRobster
1997 ZJ 

When I put my top on the first time it was really tight.

I got the top on as far as I could, then I put a small electric heater inside for a couple of hours. Then I managed to get it a little bit farther.

Repeat.

http://jeepyjwrangler.blogspot.com/
TheRobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Did you check the distance from the windshield frame to the back of the tub?
I have a bestop supertop, but I had to adjust the windshield in order to get my soft top to fit properly.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
93YJfalcon
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BondoBbad View Post
No, I have steel half doors with soft factory style uppers (squared). All of the Hardware is the same as an oem soft top. In fact everything looks just like a factory top but the windows say pavement ends. Oh and the snaps aren't on the doors them self they are on the door surrounds right above the top of the doors when they are closed, if that makes any sense.
Ahhh. There's the issue. I had the "flip top". Mine wasn't like factory at all. I didn't even know they made one that would fit with the stock frame.

I agree with setting the windshied back. I had to do that with a hardtop.

http://dirtyfabworks.com/gallery.htm
93YJfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
I hate to say it but buy a Best Top. Tight at first but fits fine. Later, the tightness goes away and it becomes easy.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
lclark2074
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I got to replace my top soon so electric heater inside to help strechit good idea
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma View Post
HI,
I hate to say it but buy a Best Top. Tight at first but fits fine. Later, the tightness goes away and it becomes easy.

Sparky
I do plan on getting a super top later on. But right now, that is just not an option. Wish I had an extra 800 bucks laying around but sadly I don't. That's why I jumped all over this top when I found it so cheap on CL.
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
doggie
1993 YJ Wrangler 

not familiar with the pavement ends top, but with my supertop - partially knocking down the bow assy, then zip in windows, etc. THEN putting the bow assy fully back up helps alot.
doggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
BondoBbad
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just got back in from screwing with that thing again. All I can say is F that top in the A. I had my wife sitting in the Jeep with a hair dryer while I was out side straddling tires and side steps with a couple pair of big vice grips putting all of my weight on it. And I still didn't even get it close. I busted two zippers and started a small tear on one edge. So if anyone wants a black pavement ends soft top there is one out in the woods near my house.
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:00 PM   #15
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry but..lol
There has to be something wrong here. Wrong top to frame or wrong top for the YJ. I have several tops including a PE but it is the fliptop version. I have never had this much trouble from a softop.
I guess you have given up on it. If not post some pics of the top and hardware maybe we can help more.
K4KAS is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.