I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit! - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 01-05-2010, 09:09 PM   #76
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar4130 View Post
If you guys need additional load carrying ability for the rear (or front for that matter), ARB sells an extra leaf that you can install into your spring packs. I believe the part #'s are J1FXL for the front (around $60/ea) and J1RXL for the rear(around $30/ea)
That's a good point!

If you ever tow anything with your YJ, or if you got the light duty springs in the rear and desire more, that would be a good option to explore.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #77
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
What weight load springs do you have in the back (heavy or medium)? I know the heavy springs are made for supporting heavy weighted accessories (winch, bull bar, hard top, rear tire bumper, etc...).

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have mediums in the back and some heavy stuff in the rear (maybe a hard top or beefy rear bumper). The mediums may have a hard time supporting all that weight without giving a little and sagging.
Soft top, stock bumper.
Rear spring set have 5 leaves. Front have 4.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543

Last edited by -Deepskyy-; 01-05-2010 at 09:58 PM..
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 05:45 AM   #78
trw
2011 JK Wrangler 

ARGGG, I hate you If I didn't have to rebuild my Tcase, I would have an OME lift real soon.

I want one so badly. Got my brake lines and driveshafts all set up for it, just waiting for the cash to buy it now
1978 Jeep CJ-7 - 304 V8, TH400 auto and quadratrac
2007 Jeep Liberty - Mother's Jeep, BFG ATs and....mud?
trw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #79
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trw View Post
ARGGG, I hate you If I didn't have to rebuild my Tcase, I would have an OME lift real soon.

I want one so badly. Got my brake lines and driveshafts all set up for it, just waiting for the cash to buy it now
T-cases aren't that pricey! I just bought two NP231s yesterday for under $100

I wish I had my brakelines set up... Things get kinda scary when I flex!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 01-12-2010, 11:22 PM   #80
thegrimlinyj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I got mine they have 4 leaves in front and 5 in back with the shim. I also noticed none of our springs have military wrapped 2nd leafs I thought they were suppose to? Also none of them say made in Australia. I hope they work out good they seem to be a lot cheaper then BDS cost wise. I bought just the springs for now my plan is to install them flex them out then buy shocks after I measure the total wheel travel.

Dave
Unread 01-13-2010, 06:49 AM   #81
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OME don't have military wrap. I was able to get my OME kit for less than the BDS kit and military wrap wasn't an issue in my decision making. Also, all of the stuff they sent me had the "Made in Australia" stamp on it including the springs to my knowledge.

Checking wheel travel before ordering shocks is a good idea. My 2.5" shocks maxed out and were the only thing keeping my front brake lines from snapping. I have since relocated the brakes for safety and gained a few inches of line. Now, the shocks maxing out will be the only thing keeping my tires from rubbing when I buy some 33"s in a couple of years, if all else fails I can always order their 3.5" lift shocks or just cut and reweld my existing mounts to allow for more travel. (I'll prolly just let them be).

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #82
thegrimlinyj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
. (I'll prolly just let them be).

Jake
I don't know about OME shocks. But when I did the lift on my Cherokee I installed 10 in travel Bilstein 5150 shocks. They told me point blank not to use them to limit travel it will blow the seals out and they will not warranty them. so you might want to install some limit straps

Dave
Unread 01-13-2010, 07:13 PM   #83
thegrimlinyj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

looks like it says military wrapped but maybe thats why there cheaper now days.

Dave
Unread 01-15-2010, 04:55 PM   #84
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

YJake do you know what part number are on your springs? I'm asking because I like the way your Jeep sits.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:01 PM   #85
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1992 renagade View Post
YJake do you know what part number are on your springs? I'm asking because I like the way your Jeep sits.
Well, on the reciept from ARB I believe that it said they were all heavy duty rear springs, which would explain the shims and 5 leaves. I'll look for the reciept.. it's in my jeep records file somewhere...

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #86
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
I love my OME lift, but Ive got some squat in the back. It doesn't bother me when I am driving, but you can see it when you look at the Jeep. My markings aren't all turned the right way, but I talked to one of the installers at my local 4wheel parts and he said it doesn't matter.

Has anyone else had an issue with some squat with the springs? I've only had them for a few months.
Do you have a picture of that?
I guess the markings do not matter as long as the shims are placed correctly for the pumpkin angle, as the shims are of course, directional. But also on mine, one loop for the shackle mount, is smaller than the loop for the frame mount on each end of each spring. That is a difference in my emu springs, so that does indicate direction, at least on my springs it did.
The guys at 4 wheel parts install all different types of springs and it is not unreasonable to think they might overlook these things, not saying they did though.

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 01-16-2010 at 05:33 PM..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 01:55 PM   #87
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Do you have a picture of that?
I guess the markings do not matter as long as the shims are placed correctly for the pumpkin angle, as they are of course directional. But also on mine, one loop for the shackle mount, is smaller than the loop for the frame mount on each end of the spring. That is a difference in my emu springs, so that does indicate direction, at least on my springs it did.
The guys at 4 wheel parts install all different types of springs and it is not unreasonable to think they might overlook these things, not saying they did though.
I can take some pictures and post em up. I talked to my local 4wheel parts here in Charlotte and they said that the +s don't matter, so long as the spring is the same length from the center pin to the middle of the mount eyelet on both sides. I need to measure mine and find out.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM   #88
1992 renagade
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I'm thinking of using 4 of theese Old Man Emu CS014F - Old Man Emu 2.5" Front Stock-Heavy Load Leaf Spring for 87-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ - Quadratec for the lift on my Renegade.

1992 black Renegade
4.0L 5spd. 4:10 gears 33x12.50 BFG KM 2's A to Z fabrication front and rear bumpers and cage
1994 YJ Sahara Project Bean
2000 Jeep Cherokee Stock
AtoZ Fabrications www.atozfabrication.com
Blue Mountain Jeep Alliance www.bmja.org
Delaware jeep Association www.delawareja.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Screw the HOA. More guys just need to start doing man things in the garage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
Jeeps are like mistresses, they take all your money, but boy what a ride!
1992 renagade is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 03:54 PM   #89
jchav74
1987 YJ Wrangler 

What is the difference of a front or rear spring? Are they interchangable? I have a hard top and tire carrier, so figured heavy duty might be better in the back.
jchav74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #90
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The fronts don't come with shims but the rears do (as far as I know)

I ended up getting 4 heavy rear springs. All have 5 leaves and shims. I don't notice any difference front to rear really as far as any sag goes. I have a 2.5L engine in the front and a hard top on the back and don't see a difference from when the top is off

SO to answer your question, yes and no. You need shims for the rear if the ones you order don't come with them. I used heavy rear springs with shims on the front, and it was okay. The shims actually helped my front driveshaft angle, the thing is completely strait with the shims and t-case drop!

Hope that helps.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.