I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit! - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit!

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 01-02-2010, 03:52 PM   #61
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
I was told the same thing about the "+" side of the springs being installed toward the front of the vehicle. When I was doing research before buying my kit, I was also told by Rocky Road that all of the YJ springs are the same size and will work on either the front or the rear. My kit came with two heavies (with shims) and two mediums without shims (with the Dakar stickers only on the mediums- if that matters). I put the heavies up front b/c I have dual batt's and a winch, so I wanted to keep everything level. I put the mediums in the back. I didn't even notice the shims on the front springs until after the install (I was new to lifts and didn't really know what to look for). But I have had no problems with the shimmed front springs, so I'm going to leave them on there.

It looks like your kit came with 4 heavies, just from the size of the springs. I guess it just depends on the dealer and what they consider a HD kit? I read somewhere that OME doesn't actually assemble the kits together; they just make the components and the dealers put the various springs and shocks into whatever package they want.
Good info. Then that is just one variation of what will work. I like the heavy springs up front too. I like heavy all around and he is just fine the way it is then. I wouldn't mind having an extra leaf in my front springs.

Unread 01-02-2010, 04:39 PM   #62
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Good info. Then that is just one variation of what will work. I like the heavy springs up front too. I like heavy all around and he is just fine the way it is then. I wouldn't mind having an extra leaf in my front springs.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you. The heavies all around will look good and be a really stout suspension. It may be a little more of a rough ride in the back due to the fact that there will not be as much weight back there to sit on the springs. But then again, it looks like the OP has a hardtop on his YJ, so the heavies should come in handy on the rear of the vehicle and soften them up a bit.

I can't get over how much better my YJ rides after I put on my Emu suspension. I was sitting on flat, busted stock leafs with over 150k miles on them, so the difference has been quite substantial.

And Jake, thanks a lot for the great pics of your greasable bushings and bolts! I sent you a thumbs up for those .

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
Bushings with cut outs for grease.
I think the OME bushings I got with my lift will work fine with the greasable bolts. They seem to have similar cuts in them for grease (Although, I don't think they are on the inside of the bushings). Does anyone here see any problems with that set up? I'll try to get a picture up close of the OME bushings, for a side to side comparison.
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:24 PM   #63
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Yeah, I definitely agree with you. The heavies all around will look good and be a really stout suspension. It may be a little more of a rough ride in the back due to the fact that there will not be as much weight back there to sit on the springs. But then again, it looks like the OP has a hardtop on his YJ, so the heavies should come in handy on the rear of the vehicle and soften them up a bit.

And Jake, thanks a lot for the great pics of your greasable bushings and bolts! I sent you a thumbs up for those .

No problem on the pics man! It rides nicely now too, it bounces instead of giving me whiplash when I hit bumps on the street now

Here are some flex shots (With the swaybar)

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:09 PM   #64
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Bigger tires next on the list?
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:38 PM   #65
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Bigger tires next on the list?
No, more like buying gears and other crap for that 8.8 you and Max talked me into buying!

I just price checked, and gears are big money even if I install them, holy smokes!

Building that 8.8 is looking like a 2yr project for sure!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 01-03-2010, 01:31 AM   #66
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
No, more like buying gears and other crap for that 8.8 you and Max talked me into buying!

I just price checked, and gears are big money even if I install them, holy smokes!

Building that 8.8 is looking like a 2yr project for sure!

Jake

You've opened up the Jeep can of worms . Mod one part, and you'll have to change 3 other things to get the Jeep where it should be. Good luck with the 8.8. I would like to do that mod when I get another house with a garage (and some time ).
Unread 01-05-2010, 02:17 PM   #67
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, I loaded two NP231s in the back of the Jeep today and DAYUM it rides smooooooth with weight in the back!

Now I understand what everybody meant about it riding like a Cadilac! Those heavy duty springs front and rear helped my ride a lot from stock, but having extra weight in the back really smoothed things out.

I haven't driven the Jeep with my Hard top on yet, so hopefully the hard top and hard doors will help me retain that ride quality. I planned on building a heavy duty rear bumper w/ swing out tire carrier in the future anyway, so if all else fails that'll smooth things out

I love my Old Man Emu!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-05-2010, 03:58 PM   #68
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I love my OME lift, but Ive got some squat in the back. It doesn't bother me when I am driving, but you can see it when you look at the Jeep. My markings aren't all turned the right way, but I talked to one of the installers at my local 4wheel parts and he said it doesn't matter.

Has anyone else had an issue with some squat with the springs? I've only had them for a few months.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #69
Cobra Jeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I have the opposate, I have a little rake. I ordered the kit for soft tops, but I think they sent me the kit for hard tops, because my rear springs have one more leaf than the front springs.

Also, cant remember where, but I was told to put the ends with the + twards the shackle, so thats what I did. All my springs had a + on one end.

'79 Cherokee Chief, 401 MPFI fuel injection, T-18/D-20 and hydroboost. Otherwise stock.
Future mods: NV4500, NP205, high pinion D60 front and smooth bottom D60 rear, e-lockers front & rear. SOA with 35X12.50's
Cobra Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:25 PM   #70
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just called ARB about the markings. I was told that the + / 0 markings can be disregarded. They are only used during the manufacturing process and are of no significance in terms of spring rate, lift height, or installation.
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM   #71
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

The new OME lift looks awesome. I'm thinking about getting the shocks for my jeep but I have other mods to get first.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #72
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Jeep View Post
I have the opposate, I have a little rake. I ordered the kit for soft tops, but I think they sent me the kit for hard tops, because my rear springs have one more leaf than the front springs.

Also, cant remember where, but I was told to put the ends with the + twards the shackle, so thats what I did. All my springs had a + on one end.

Check out the part #'s on your springs and see which ones they sent you.

Here is the ARB application guide for their YJ products, including their Old Man Emu Springs.
http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/ac...WranglerYJ.pdf
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #73
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
I love my OME lift, but Ive got some squat in the back. It doesn't bother me when I am driving, but you can see it when you look at the Jeep. My markings aren't all turned the right way, but I talked to one of the installers at my local 4wheel parts and he said it doesn't matter.

Has anyone else had an issue with some squat with the springs? I've only had them for a few months.

What weight load springs do you have in the back (heavy or medium)? I know the heavy springs are made for supporting heavy weighted accessories (winch, bull bar, hard top, rear tire bumper, etc...).

The only thing I can think of is maybe you have mediums in the back and some heavy stuff in the rear (maybe a hard top or beefy rear bumper). The mediums may have a hard time supporting all that weight without giving a little and sagging.
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #74
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

They sent me 4 heavy springs I believe. All 4 of my springs have 5 leaves.

I have a 4 banger and no roof on right now so the ride isn't as smooth as it should be, but I knew that I would be adding certain heavy accessories to the Jeep in the future so I got the heavy duty springs.

Like I said earlier, it rides like a truck now, smoother with weight in the back. When my build is complete, it will ride like a Caddy. But for now, it's still tons better than stock.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #75
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you guys need additional load carrying ability for the rear (or front for that matter), ARB sells an extra leaf that you can install into your spring packs. I believe the part #'s are J1FXL for the front (around $60/ea) and J1RXL for the rear(around $30/ea)

Last edited by ar4130; 01-05-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.