I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit! - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit!

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-01-2010, 03:37 PM   #46
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow thats interesting. You have 4 springs with shims. My front ones were not shimmed. It almost looks like you have 4 rear springs. Or is it that the fronts are heavy duty? Still, my fronts were not shimmed and it looks like yours are. Looks excellent though.

dscn9352001.jpg  
Unread 01-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #47
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I was thinking the same thing

All springs had the + sign painted on and looked to be identical.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #48
senlow
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond88yj View Post
Good job on gettin' it done, but think of those rear u-bolts as only temporary.

They are much weaker now that you've stretched them, removed them, re-stretched them.
Why do you claim that the u-bolts have been weakened? They are NOT a torque to yield fastener. Assuming that they were properly torqued, they have not been stretched beyond the elastic limit. So, they should not be weakened unless they have been damaged.
senlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 05:27 PM   #49
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by senlow View Post
Why do you claim that the u-bolts have been weakened? They are NOT a torque to yield fastener. Assuming that they were properly torqued, they have not been stretched beyond the elastic limit. So, they should not be weakened unless they have been damaged.
Oh my.

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 01-01-2010, 05:55 PM   #50
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good. If you have more important things like brake overhaul or new clutch or something that needs to come first, throw on the transfer case drop and save money over time.

You're only 3.5", which is 2.5" with the transfer case drop. That angle look (no drop) looks pretty good and you're not getting any vibes. You may start eating through U-joints for your drive shaft tho.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #51
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwood View Post
Looks good. If you have more important things like brake overhaul or new clutch or something that needs to come first, throw on the transfer case drop and save money over time.

You're only 3.5", which is 2.5" with the transfer case drop. That angle look (no drop) looks pretty good and you're not getting any vibes. You may start eating through U-joints for your drive shaft tho.
I don't really plan on geting an SYE unless the price is right, even then I'd probably pass on it.

Thanks for saying that the driveshaft angle looks good. I have no idea what an acceptable angle looks like so that gives me an idea and some reassurance.

Luckily I have a lifetime warantee on the U-joints so that's covered

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #52
yjmudder90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Your rear shackles are upside down. flip them the other way and the bolt will fit through the middle of it. ask me how i know.....

"The right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."
yjmudder90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 08:32 PM   #53
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
Thanks for saying that the driveshaft angle looks good. I have no idea what an acceptable angle looks like so that gives me an idea and some reassurance.
I don't say that on a professional basis. I have not done anything related myself yet, but I've done a lot of research over the past year about lifting my Jeep and seen some scary pinion angles.

I also didn't realize that the picture was taken at an angle.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #54
ar4130
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I was thinking the same thing

All springs had the + sign painted on and looked to be identical.

Jake
I dont think the OME front springs on my YJ are shimmed.
Although mine are the medium duty springs.

You can disregard the +/0 markings on the springs. According to ARB, they are only used during the manufacturing process, to indicate whether the springs were manufactured according to spec (0) or slighty better (+). They said there are no differences between the + or 0 springs in terms of lift, spring rate, or installation. As long as they are the same part #, it would not matter if they were marked + or o.

On a side note: I love my OME lift! It rides great! You will be happy you went with OME!
1992 YJ -2.5 Old Man Emu lift, RC 1-1/4" Boom greasable shackles, JKS Discos, 1" Daystar BL, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's mounted on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, flush mounted tailights, SJFab front bumper, TKH Fab swingout tire carrier welded to a Dirtworx rear bumper, Tuffy stereo console, RC SS Extended brake lines, Home brew plate relocation bracket, Magnaflow Cat, Dynomax Cat back, No track bars front or rear
1997 XJ - 4.5 RC coils + extra OEM spring isolator(6.5" actual front), OME medium duty springs+OME extra leaf + Teraflex 1.5 shackles (6.5" actual in rear), OME Long travel shocks, OME SS, IRO Adj TB, IRO Adj LCA'S, IRO Adj Uppers, RC Control arm drop brackets, JKS Quicker Discos, SYE / XJ shaft, 33x12.5x15 BFG AT KO's on 15x8 Cragar soft 8's, RC SS extended Brake lines, Hella 500's
1996 ZJ - RE 2 inch BB w/shocks (rides like crap), OME SS, 31x10.5x15 General Grabber AT2's - SOLD
ar4130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 11:10 PM   #55
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Apollo and I just put the T-case drop that came with the kit on. I didn't notice much difference in the driveshaft angle but it can't hurt having it on there

I'll take it for a spin tomorrow and enjoy the ride.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-02-2010, 05:59 AM   #56
DailyDrvn5
2010 JK Wrangler 

Looks great, thats the exact set up I plan to use plus a small body lift to run 33's. Where did you order your kit though? Quadratec is pretty expensive plus their stupid shipping rates. Looking to save every penny i can here but put a great kit on.

94 YJ, 95 YJ, 80 CJ-5
DailyDrvn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 09:07 AM   #57
Tompatt
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjmudder90 View Post
Your rear shackles are upside down. flip them the other way and the bolt will fit through the middle of it. ask me how i know.....
x2. just about to say that.
Tompatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #58
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I don't know how accurate the information I received is, but I was told that the + signs can be used as an indicator, all of them should be towards the front, on the front side of the axle on installation, and it is the case with mine. These are my springs. The bottom ones in the top picture are the rear springs, shimmed. The fronts have a one less leaf count on mine. Another difference is of course the wrap at the end of the springs. The wraps on each end of the springs are slightly different sizes on the wrap if I remember correctly. The larger end wrap goes into the frame mounts, not the shackles. Looking at yours Jake, it looks like it is working. This is my understanding, but am not saying I am 100% certain I am correct. If you in fact you do have rear springs on the front, which I am not sure about, it just seems to be possible, then I guess articulation might be affected? And are the dimensions in anyway different for the front, than the rear? I guess I am saying, if this were my jeep, I would want to know for sure exactly what is on the front. What are the numbers on the front springs? All four should have a sequence of numbers identifying the springs on each of them. The bottom pictures are my springs, and numbers. The rear springs on mine are CSO36R, which are heavy duty, the CSO37R is a common rear spring for EMU also. My fronts are CS014F.
(bottom picture shows shackle on wrong end of spring when I had them on my floor. I tossed them on the springs and then realized it was wrong and changed it on install)
springs.jpg   dscn0808.jpg   dscn0803.jpg  

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 01-02-2010 at 10:25 AM..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #59
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I was told the same thing about the "+" side of the springs being installed toward the front of the vehicle. When I was doing research before buying my kit, I was also told by Rocky Road that all of the YJ springs are the same size and will work on either the front or the rear. My kit came with two heavies (with shims) and two mediums without shims (with the Dakar stickers only on the mediums- if that matters). I put the heavies up front b/c I have dual batt's and a winch, so I wanted to keep everything level. I put the mediums in the back. I didn't even notice the shims on the front springs until after the install (I was new to lifts and didn't really know what to look for). But I have had no problems with the shimmed front springs, so I'm going to leave them on there.

It looks like your kit came with 4 heavies, just from the size of the springs. I guess it just depends on the dealer and what they consider a HD kit? I read somewhere that OME doesn't actually assemble the kits together; they just make the components and the dealers put the various springs and shocks into whatever package they want.
Unread 01-02-2010, 01:27 PM   #60
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I think I know what kit I'm going with when I get a lift

Looks good man.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.