I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit! - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 12-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #31
thegrimlinyj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I ordered my ome springs x-mass day with u bolts and bushings from Quadratec. Checked on the order today on-line and everything but the springs have shipped. Back order?

Also for the people that already have ome springs. I ordered what they called stock heavy for the front and light for the rear. I hope I ordered the right stuff, my wrangler is the 2.5l soft top. I have a high lift and 8k winch with steel wire rope mounted up front and nothing in the rear but a very lite rock bumper. Did I get the right stuff

Dave

Unread 12-28-2009, 09:05 PM   #32
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

They told me that the shocks wouldn't be in stock until Christmas week. So I told them to wait and just ship them together instead of everything but the rear shocks and then the rear shocks later.

Now I'm still waiting, but they should be on their way.

I would have gotten the medium springs for the rear, that's what I did. But, I have a hard top/doors and like to load my YJ up with stuff back there, like a cooler, when I go on trips.

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 09:54 PM   #33
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
.....tomorrow when I get home from the beach (Ahhh Florida in December!).......

Jake
Yep! I took this pic yesterday!

P.S. The text replies are a little slow because my phone is charging in the other room!

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:17 AM   #34
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegrimlinyj View Post
I ordered my ome springs x-mass day with u bolts and bushings from Quadratec. Checked on the order today on-line and everything but the springs have shipped. Back order?

Also for the people that already have ome springs. I ordered what they called stock heavy for the front and light for the rear. I hope I ordered the right stuff, my wrangler is the 2.5l soft top. I have a high lift and 8k winch with steel wire rope mounted up front and nothing in the rear but a very lite rock bumper. Did I get the right stuff

Dave
I think you'll be okay. I have the heavies in the front and the mediums in the rear. I have a winch too and dual batteries, so I figured the heavy springs would hold everything up in the front, and they have very well with no sagging. I have a soft top on year round, so the mediums work well in the rear. Try the lights out, and if they sag (which I don't think they will) return them for some mediums (or heavies, but I think the ride would be a little rough unless you have some serious weight back there).
Unread 12-29-2009, 06:20 AM   #35
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

That's a nice Jeep collection you have there Max .

I went to the beach up here a few days ago and it was too windy and cold to hand around for long. You Florida guys have it made . My wife lived in St. Augustine when we were dating and I loved the beaches there. I could drive my Jeep out onto the sands (can't do that here ).
Unread 12-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #36
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Good times at the beach! It was 40 out and very windy but I still had a good time driving around.

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 12-29-2009, 04:14 PM   #37
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Found my greasable shackle bushings at the end of the driveway when I got home from the beach.

Box.

Bolt sleeve with grease port.

Bushings with cut outs for grease.

Greasable bolts.

Fully assembled.

And of course Daystar's disclaimer sticker

I called about the Emu kit and it's schedualed arival date is January 4th. Can't wait!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-29-2009, 09:41 PM   #38
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
That's a nice Jeep collection you have there Max .
Actually, the red one is the only one I own in that picture. There would have been 2 more if the wife's '93 YJ & our '99 WJ were there.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #39
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The lift arived last night and with the help of forum member Apollo, I was able to pull an all nighter and get the lift on!

I don't have any after pictures at the moment because it's dark and I'm away from home, but I gained more than 2.5" of lift. Maybe it will settle later on?

The ride is much smoother now and the flex is amazing! I didn't put the T-case drop on but will soon, I get some slight vibes around 45mph. However they're hardly noticeable. There is however some extra drivetrain noise possibly caused by the driveshaft angle. I'll resolve this issue soon.

The only real issue I'm having is with my steering. The steering is a little sloppy now. I'm running a 2.5" spring with 1" shackle and no drop pitman arm, so I think that's the issue. Instead of buying a drop pitman arm I may go ahead and purchase this product Goferit Products! . I've heard good things about it and think it would raise the drag link enough to correct its angle. Gaining some clearance for my steering components would also be a plus!

I'll take some pics of the finished product tomorrow when I get home. I may even get some flex shots. This kit flexes like crazy right out of the box!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 12-31-2009, 06:44 PM   #40
Apollo12227
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Rofl, all-nighter... Good times! And we only had to cut, grind, scream & curse at one frame shackle bolt!!! Needed longer ubolts... That was irritating. Good kit Jake can't wait for those pics so I can compare with the stock pics earlier in the post!
Apollo12227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:22 AM   #41
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I am envious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo12227 View Post
Needed longer ubolts... That was irritating.

What U-bolts did you end up using? I'm curious because I've been following this thread living through Jake... I can't wait to order mine and want it to go as smoothly as possible, so I am curious as to which u-bolts to get OR not get

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #42
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJhobby View Post
I am envious

What U-bolts did you end up using? I'm curious because I've been following this thread living through Jake... I can't wait to order mine and want it to go as smoothly as possible, so I am curious as to which u-bolts to get OR not get
We went to the local Jeep shop and they sold us some ProComp front Ubolts with nuts and washers for $37.

I was able to reuse the rear Ubolts without a problem, they had much more thread to bolt a nut to than the fronts did when we tried to reuse them.

I drove the Jeep around the block this morning and was able to get my steering wheel centered. The steering is still sloppier than stock but that's to be expected. I may end up getting that goferit steering kit after all. If it will help my problem that is.

Pics to come later this afternoon!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:22 AM   #43
Richmond88yj
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I was able to reuse the rear Ubolts without a problem, they had much more thread to bolt a nut to than the fronts did when we tried to reuse them.
Good job on gettin' it done, but think of those rear u-bolts as only temporary.

They are much weaker now that you've stretched them, removed them, re-stretched them.
Richmond88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #44
Ptr
1992 J-Series Truck 

post up some after pictures of it mannn!!
Ptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #45
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Pics!

The kit. (T-case drop not pictured)

Greasable shackle bushings in box.

Heavy duty Emu springs.

Before

After

Before Front/After Front

Before Rear/After Rear

Greasable shackle

I'm about 22 1/2" from ground to rocker.

And of course, my driveshaft angle.

I don't have the T-Case drop on right now and have experience minimal to zero vibes thus far. I just want to know what people thing about that angle? I reckon I'll just go ahead and put the drop on. I do have a 2.5" spring+1"Shackle lift on after all.

Hope that you guys that were following this thread for the pictures are satisfied. I sure am!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.