I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I finally ordered my Old Man Emu kit!

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Component speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFGOffset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!

Unread 12-12-2009, 03:14 AM   #16
rulppa

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Listen, pet ****. How would you like me to make your life a living hell? Sorry I couldn't help it, Ace Ventura

I would like to buy this kit someday and go SOA with it, dunno is it too much.. recycled original leafs and can't do it with 4" RE leafs.. looking forward to hear your comments when done.

rulppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:38 AM   #17
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

lots of flex

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

you will LOVE them...

springs, greasable shackles, OME shocks as well...

no sways or trac bars, or bumpstops, thats why it stuffs so much....to much actually, drove my ujoint on my front driveshaft into my exhaust and punched a hole in it...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #19
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Some advice- Go to any auto parts store and buy 3 or 4 cans of PB Blaster. Start soaking your axle u-bolt nuts, twice a day if you can, up until the day you install the lift. I did this and I didn't have to cut off any u-bolts; they all screwed right out. I would also soak the bolts/nuts holding your leaf springs on at the eye loops as well and the 6 t-case bolts that hold it to the frame. And the bolts/nuts holding your shocks on too. I think that covers most of the possible snags you could run into .

Also, I have a 2ft breaker bar that worked wonders on turning some of those stubborn bolts/nuts as well. You can find one pretty cheap at any hardware store and they're well worth it.

Hope this helps ,
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:40 AM   #20
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
You're thread was one of the things that inspired me to jump on it! Although the fact that you put in a SYE for a 2.5" lift does scare me a little! I hope the T-case drop is plenty because I simply can't afford an SYE/CV driveshaft right now.

Jake
Congrats! You won't need the cv/sye kit for the 2.5 lift. I even put a 5/8ths shackle lift with the 2.5 suspension lift. Sure it would be good to have, but you don't need it. NO worries! The rear leafs are shimmed, so it will angle up some, use the t-case drop, and if you really need to, the motor mount lift, but I don't think that will be necessary. One reason why some people experience vibes is because the driveshaft needle bearings do tend to wear a certain way when driven at that angle for a long period of time, and in worse case you can just replace a u joint or motor mount lift. But your angles should be fine. Installing a t-case lowering kit and the shims will get you right where you want to be. No Worries! It is an excellent riding suspension, better than stock ride, excellent articulation, and it will boost your rig up min. 2.5 inches higher than stock. (my driveshaft has 274,000 miles on it original, and I did not experience any vibes at all after install. It is perfect. (just when time and money allows, later on down the road, go ahead and get the sye kit if you want)

Last edited by moonshinefuel; 12-12-2009 at 12:45 PM..
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #21
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound View Post
Some advice- Go to any auto parts store and buy 3 or 4 cans of PB Blaster. Start soaking your axle u-bolt nuts, twice a day if you can, up until the day you install the lift. I did this and I didn't have to cut off any u-bolts; they all screwed right out. I would also soak the bolts/nuts holding your leaf springs on at the eye loops as well and the 6 t-case bolts that hold it to the frame. And the bolts/nuts holding your shocks on too. I think that covers most of the possible snags you could run into .

Also, I have a 2ft breaker bar that worked wonders on turning some of those stubborn bolts/nuts as well. You can find one pretty cheap at any hardware store and they're well worth it.

Hope this helps ,

^^ gooder advice, impact or breaker bar is a must, and yes PB blaster, only other snag I almost ran into but I lucked out hte OME guy thoguht ahead and sent me the proper shock to bolt in, the top ios a post style, if your new shocks are not you will ned the eye hoop thingy whatever its called. lol

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:48 PM   #22
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all of the info guys!

I can't wait for Santa's brown truck to arive in a few weeks!

Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #23
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i love ups
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:42 AM   #24
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My order was finally processed today. (They did not have the two rear shocks in stock when I ordered the kit, so I waited until they did instead of shipping the shocks seperately)

I also went ahead and ordered two sets of Daystar Greasable Shackle Bushings because I've heard great things about them! Front or Rear Greasable Shackle Bushings by Daystar and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

The kit and bushings should arrive a week or two after Christmas, wish me luck folks. Till then it's PB blaster time!

Jake

Quote:
Quote:
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
Unread 12-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #25
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Definitely post some after pics. I've heard a lot of good things. I was about to buy some OME extra long shocks for my jeep but I ended up just getting some shock tabs and relocating so I could reuse the old ones. When I do buy new shocks they will be OME.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #26
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Post some before and after pictures if you don't mind. I had a hard time finding some when I was looking at OME. I posted mine, but I wish I would have done a before and after shot in the same place on level ground. That's what I was really looking for before I bought my lift.
Unread 12-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #27
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJake View Post
I also went ahead and ordered two sets of Daystar Greasable Shackle Bushings because I've heard great things about them! Front or Rear Greasable Shackle Bushings by Daystar and Other Jeep Parts and Jeep Accessories by 4 Wheel Drive Hardware

The kit and bushings should arrive a week or two after Christmas, wish me luck folks. Till then it's PB blaster time!

Jake

Also, if you could snap a picture of those Daystar bushings up close I'd appreciate it too. I put the OME poly bushings on my Jeep, but I want to get a set of those greasable bolts for easy maintenance. I'm curious to see what the fluting looks like on those bushings. I remember the OME ones I put in had fluting and channels in them, but I'm not sure if they would work with the greasable zerk bolts. I would like to compare the two. Thanks,
Unread 12-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #28
YJhobby
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Also, if you could snap a picture of those Daystar bushings up close I'd appreciate it too. I put the OME poly bushings on my Jeep, but I want to get a set of those greasable bolts for easy maintenance. I'm curious to see what the fluting looks like on those bushings. I remember the OME ones I put in had fluting and channels in them, but I'm not sure if they would work with the greasable zerk bolts. I would like to compare the two. Thanks,
<bump> Me too, I would like to know and see the difference between Daystar greasable bushings/bolts vs. OME greasable bushings/bolts!

[QUOTE=SnowdogMarc] YJ's don't get stuck....they get temporarily impeeded in their forward progress.[/QUOTE]

I'm patiently waiting for the "foot-in-mouth" moment to end... but since I've posted, its not today
YJhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2009, 06:33 PM   #29
southbound
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Did you get the kit yet? I'm looking forward to seeing your before and after pics. Putting this lift on my Jeep was definitely a bonding experience between us over the course of a weekend .

If you remember to snap a pic of the bushings you picked up that would be great. I have a pic of the Emu bushings I installed, so I can post that too. I just want to make sure my Emu's would work with the greasable zerk bolts.

Unread 12-28-2009, 07:29 PM   #30
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you get the kit yet? I'm looking forward to seeing your before and after pics. Putting this lift on my Jeep was definitely a bonding experience between us over the course of a weekend .

If you remember to snap a pic of the bushings you picked up that would be great. I have a pic of the Emu bushings I installed, so I can post that too. I just want to make sure my Emu's would work with the greasable zerk bolts.

Still waiting on it to come from Australia

However, the greasable bushing/bolt kit comes in tomorrow. It's sitting at the post office right now. I'm excited to see what it all looks and how it works. Also, I'll probably take some pics of the bushings/bolts tomorrow.

As for the kit, I plan on calling about it tomorrow when I get home from the beach (Ahhh Florida in December!) and see what's up.

Jake

Quote:
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.