I discovered this afternoon that my '91 YJ came with cruise control... (help) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I discovered this afternoon that my '91 YJ came with cruise control... (help)

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 08-16-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I discovered this afternoon that my '91 YJ came with cruise control... (help)

(*not really*)

My '91 YJ has mostly factory OEM parts, which is surprising for a 20-year-old Jeep with only 55,000 miles (I am the third owner and just got it this past May). Well, I was driving on the interstate this afternoon when I shockingly discovered that my gas pedal sticks! There is noticeable resistance after I press down the throttle approximately one third to halfway toward the floor / firewall, and I have to press relatively harder to get past this point of resistance. Once past this point of resistance, however, the gas pedal sticks and does not come back unless I tap / kick the pedal. I've put 1060 miles on the Jeep during these past 3 months and have never before experienced nor noticed this issue.

Someone checked my throttle cable and assessed that it was relatively new and had been replaced recently, so other than that, I really have no idea how to diagnose this, and thus, would appreciate any recommendations on what to check next to remedy this problem...?

Thanks in advance!

hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check your throttle body to make sure there is no gunk inside of it that is making it stick. Then I would remove your throttle cable and lubricate it.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
hrt4me
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the reply and advice; with what should I lubricate the throttle cable?
hrt4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #4
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep. Check the butterfly valve at the throttle body. If you unhook the cable does it move smoothly? The spring will make it kind of hard to move, but it should not stick at any point. And you should be able to easilly move it with one hand. If you still feel it sticking then you know that it's in the TB. I would hit it with some TB or carb cleaner. I would even take the spring off and get a wire brush into every little nook that you can.

Not sure waht to lube the cable with as I've never done that. But I'd clean the heck out of the TB either way.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
Reddy89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

My 89 manual has cruise control... or at least the knob/lever, I "turned it on" but nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrt4me View Post
Thanks for the reply and advice; with what should I lubricate the throttle cable?
I have some PB Blaster Lubricant I use, you could use WD40 or a bit of lubricant grease/oil.
Reddy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I lubricate my motorcycle cables with DOT3 brake fluid all the time, since I have a few bottles of it lying around, but I think the best would be to use 3 in 1 oil.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
kphimself
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You should only use graphite powder to lubricate a cable otherwise dust will stick to it and cause it to bind and stick. They sell it all auto parts stores and hardware stores.
kphimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 03:41 AM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It's not hard to lube a cable. I like to use the white lith grease that comes in a spray can. I just pull one end out far as it will go. douse it with the spray. Then work it back-n-forth a few times. Then do the other end the same way. The weave in the cable wicks it up inside the cover.

Another good one to use is "3-in-1" brand sewing machine oil. Dunno if they make it anymore tho - check the hardware.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2011, 05:56 AM   #9
Andywear
1991 YJ Wrangler 

put some beer in it.
That always loosens up the o'lady

[I]Errrrrrr[/I], Will complain else where - &y
Andywear is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.