I can't remove Ignition Lock Cylinder Can somebody help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I can't remove Ignition Lock Cylinder Can somebody help

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-01-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
gary1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can't remove Ignition Lock Cylinder Can somebody help

I'm trying to replace my wiper switch and having all kind of trouble getting things apart. Chilton and Haynes aren't helping much. I can't get the shroud off the steering column. My ignition cylinder seems to be different than the manual shows. There is no screw inside holding it in, but I still can't get it to slide out. I thought I'd made this repair once, but I think now I just replaced the turn signal switch which is easy to get out. Does the wiper switch take some special tool to get it out.?

To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.
gary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Honkeymudderfo
1987 YJ Wrangler 

On some lock cylinders you must insert the key, turn the lock to a certain position usually ON, then do you see a little pin or piece of metal that you can push down thet lets it come out when pulled. Finesse is the key here. Do you really have to remove the lock to get to the wiper switch ?? Never experienced that personally, however I dont know what you are working on..................
Honkeymudderfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
Ingle47
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Pictures will help but Mines like Honkeymudderfo said

Good luck

[COLOR="Black"][FONT="Showcard Gothic"]'05 Black WK Limited 4.7 /2" Daystar Poly/ rooftop tent/ cobra 29 ltb classic/ 265-75-17 Dynapro MTs/ Procomp 7" driving lights/ Saguaro switch panel/ 1.5" ws/ SuperChip/ [/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="Blue"]'99 Blue WJ 4.7 / Stock[/COLOR]

[COLOR="White"]'89 YJ 4.2 /SOA/ 35-12.50-15 Tsl/ Cobra 29 LTB Classic/ XRC8/ Tube Fenders/ Side Armor/ 8.8" rear/ 1.25 WS/ [/COLOR]
Ingle47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #4
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honkeymudderfo View Post
On some lock cylinders you must insert the key, turn the lock to a certain position usually ON, then do you see a little pin or piece of metal that you can push down thet lets it come out when pulled. Finesse is the key here. Do you really have to remove the lock to get to the wiper switch ?? Never experienced that personally, however I dont know what you are working on..................
X2.
I wish that I had taken pics of my column. I had to start from scratch to build my column.

At the end of the lock cylinder, there is a little tab that engages with the notch. If you locate the end of the lock cylinder, you will locate this notch. Use a small scew driver to push down on this tag. The lock cylinder will slide right out whe nyou pull on it.

Good luck!

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.