I call her puddles...a timeline of events - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I call her puddles...a timeline of events

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 11-04-2011, 02:17 PM   #1
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I call her puddles...a timeline of events

I didn't join here until after I bought my first wrangler last winter. I've been a proud jeep owner for years, but they've been Cherokees. I fell in love with wranglers when I was 15 years old and a friend of mine had a brand new 1995 model that we beat within an inch of it's life numerous times, but it would never die.

My previous jeeps...
97 Cherokee...no pictures as I only owned it for a few short months in 1998 before a drunk driver hit me and totaled it out.

My 89 Cherokee...2009'ish

My 97 Cherokee...DD, still have it.

I finally decided to pull the trigger on a yj after searching around looking at jk's and tj's for months. I realized that I could pick up a yj on the cheap and just build it the way I wanted it. I neglected to mention the purchase to my wife . It was towed to the house for free since the previous owner was a mechanic at a repair shop, and when it showed up she flipped and blew a gasket. Didn't talk to me for 3 days...but she came around pretty fast when I mentioned that I was selling my f250 that got 8mpg. I guess she didn't think I needed 3 vehicles of my own

I found this gem on CL one night for $1000.

Needed a freeze plug in the back of the motor, but it started and ran without issue until it hit operating temp, then it would pour coolant out of the block.

Replaced the freeze plug, put new lifters in and put welded in a new floor pan and started patching holes in the tub.

As I was finishing up the floor pan about a week after purchasing the yj, my DD Cherokee decided it was going to commit suicide (299,898 miles on the od).

So, with some extremely fresh paint, the wrangler had to be driven. The 4.0 in the cherokee had finally given up, and I had to be to work a few hours later. So, the Cherokee sat in my garage for a few months until I found a decent deal on a motor for it.

The 4cyl auto in the wrangler quickly showed its flaws...like freeway speeds and no oil pressure at idle. It leaked fluid from the trans, tc, radiator...and there was a decent sized puddle of something or other every time I parked it. I decided to drive it until it died, or until I found a decent swap for it.

In the summer I decided to sell it, but after a month of lowball offers or trades I didn't want, I decided to keep it and just drive it.

I found a smoking deal on a 4.0/ax15/sye'd 231 with the harness, driveshaft, PCM, 1" MORE mm lift for $450. The 4.0 has a crack in the block, but I have a spare block in the corner that I intend to rebuild in the future. For the time being, the jb weld the PO put on there holds pretty well...but it still weeps a little antifreeze.

Unread 11-04-2011, 02:27 PM   #2
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So, after driving it around for 2 months with the 4.0, it was decided that I would definitely be keeping it. I love the power that it has now.

So, more body work was in order.

Found a rust free windshield frame on a local board for $50, but its sitting in the back of the jeep for now.

I wanted a lift, so a few weeks ago I found some 3.5" fabtech springs on amazon. It was my birthday, so I placed the order.

Today, I finished installing it. Which brings me to current.

Before...

After...

Next on the agenda is getting some shocks and the rear shaft lengthened. It's maxed out now. After that's done, I'm thinking tube fenders and some 35's.
Unread 11-04-2011, 03:21 PM   #3
jmmorgan82

Excellent work on the repairs so far, looks great!
jmmorgan82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:07 AM   #4
Shenandoah
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That's a lot of work. And it looks great.
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks. I picked it up in January of this year, so I've made a bit of progress. The frame is rock solid, so I figured I couldn't go wrong for the price I paid.
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Looks good !

Where in Michigan are you ? I am up 94 a bit from Detroit.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Monroe, right around exit 18 off I-75.
Unread 11-05-2011, 07:57 AM   #8
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgrad View Post
Monroe, right around exit 18 off I-75.
That is around the beef jerky store is`nt it ? The kids like stopping by there when we come up from Ohio soccer tournaments.

I`ll give you a PM next time we come by.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good.
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #10
Hghgrad
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, there's a few of those around here. I'm also only about 15 minutes away from Cabelas
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
dodger889
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
That is around the beef jerky store is`nt it ? The kids like stopping by there when we come up from Ohio soccer tournaments.

I`ll give you a PM next time we come by.
No the best beef jerky store is at exit 21 to the east about a mile or so at the little meat market...
Originally Posted by bigsquat View Post
im just cheap, and cheap makes you creative.
dodger889 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 08:50 AM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hghgrad View Post
Yeah, there's a few of those around here. I'm also only about 15 minutes away from Cabelas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger889 View Post
No the best beef jerky store is at exit 21 to the east about a mile or so at the little meat market...
Hmm, jerky

Will have to check exit 21 out.
Unread 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM   #13
Shannonvasher

Hey guys, Willis/Ypsi here. Just got my first jeep a week ago. 93/2.5 We'll have to hook up for lunch one day! If would be nice to have a buddy that feels my jeep pain!
Shannonvasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-05-2011, 01:44 PM   #14
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannonvasher View Post
Hey guys, Willis/Ypsi here. Just got my first jeep a week ago. 93/2.5 We'll have to hook up for lunch one day! If would be nice to have a buddy that feels my jeep pain!
I used to work in Ypsi. back in the 90`s.

Ever been to Capt. Nemos in Belleville ? South of 94 in downtown.

Remember going to Leggs a few times.
Unread 11-05-2011, 02:17 PM   #15
Shannonvasher

Yeah, been to both Cpt. Nemo's and Leggs! Leggs is now called Ricks Hot Spot!
Shannonvasher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.