I call it the Basket Case. - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I call it the Basket Case.

Oconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 05-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #61
CrawlingForward
Rookies Happen.

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I had robbed it from my daughter's Jeep, but I robbed it back.
I assume you're not referring to the 10 year old daughter, ha ha!

Seriously, this is an incredible project and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

95 YJ, Rio Grande - The Wannabe Sleeper Wheeler
2010 JKU, Islander Edition - The Burly Stock Overlander

- North Shore Jeep Club -
Build/Wheel/Break/Educate/Upgrade/Repeat
CrawlingForward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 02:04 PM   #62
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloan74 View Post
"Last weekend I went to the junkyard and found a complete Ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10s, limited slip, and only 75K miles on it... got it for 82 dollars! "

Awesome deal on that 8.8....

You gonna run 4 disc brakes now or 2 drum?

Great thread, the pictures are outstanding!
I plan on running what I have for the meantime. BTW. This axle was a disscussion from another member on the forum. He scored an excellent deal on this axle.
My primary goal is to get the Jeep to run. Looks to me tha tthe two P.O.s gave up on this project and let some parts "walk off." My wife thought I was crazy taking on a project of this magnatude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawlingForward View Post
I assume you're not referring to the 10 year old daughter, ha ha!

Seriously, this is an incredible project and I can't wait to see what you do with it!
No, the daughter in question is fifteen. She has a birthday on early June. She is very excited about driving her Jeep. BUT, the ten YO has hinted at wanting a Jeep as well. Who knows, all the kids will have a Jeep if the trend stays on this path.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #63
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

As promised, I did take some time to get at least one seat installed. But it is one of those things, like the saying goes, "take two steps forward, lose a step back." That is the case with this seat.

I merely cut to length some steel strap stock that I had laying around, drilled some holes in the marked locations, and mounted these to the seat brackets.
jeep-seat-install-frosty-morning-5-07-2010-001.jpg

I had purchased these clips for my Chevy rebuild a couple years ago and decided that they could come into use here.
jeep-seat-install-frosty-morning-5-07-2010-006.jpg

Here the seat is installed. It looks good, except that the seat cushion sets a little high. If I had a top on I am sure that my head will almost touch it. There is also limited room between the cushion and the steering column.
jeep-seat-install-frosty-morning-5-07-2010-008.jpg

I have asked my self why I started a build thread for this Jeep. I have had members make statements that this was a good thread to follow. So my answer to my question is this, I probably do this because I probably represent the vast majority of those who perform their own work on a limited budget or time. It is also because there are a lot of people out there who come across these same or similar situations that require creative thinking.
So, to those who have followed along this far, thank you for all your input and contributions. Also, thank you to those who have sold me parts to make this Jeep a step closer to running.

Unread 05-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #64
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can't remember if you mentioned this, but what are those seats from that you are using?

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2010, 12:45 PM   #65
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
I can't remember if you mentioned this, but what are those seats from that you are using?
I am not sure what the seats are out of. There is no indication of manufacture on them. I picked them up at a local yard sale, the lady did not know either. (I paid something like fifty for the pair).

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #66
AmnWatkins
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looking good thus far. While i'm not rebuilding my jeep your thread has enlightened me on the fact that the heater control panel has a light behind it (mine must be burnt out and i'll have to check when/ if i get out of work.

Keep it up man.
Unread 05-10-2010, 08:54 AM   #67
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
Quote:
I am not sure what the seats are out of. There is no indication of manufacture on them. I picked them up at a local yard sale, the lady did not know either. (I paid something like fifty for the pair).
Over the weekend, I figured out generally what the seats are from. I found a module under one of the seats that had a label "Nissan" marked on it.

Unread 05-14-2010, 03:04 PM   #68
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have found little time to work on the Jeep, but I did manage to mess around some.

***(sorry about the large pics. I forgot to downsize them before I posted them).

I made an attempt to repair the tank, but no matter what I did, nothing worked. I tried PP and PE (polyethylene and polypropylene) approved epoxies, PP and PE super glue, heat and melt method, but they were all unacceptable. I think that the plastic of this tank was beyond repair.
jeep-progress-5-12-2010-011.jpg
So instead, my wife, the sweetheart that she is, went to a local shop and ordered a new/used tank for me, and it will come with the electric in-tank fuel pump that I have been looking for. The total price; no more than $150.00, shipped! (Lucky her for the score)! My birthday present from my wife.

Since I was frustrated as to how things were turning out, I also removed the seat after more consideration. I will rework the risers and lower the height of the seats.
jeep-progress-5-12-2010-002.jpg

I located the tap-and-die set and chased the threads the bolt for the grill. I did not want to run into any problems with this part since the receiver nut is "loose" within the grill base.
jeep-progress-5-12-2010-022.jpg

My grill was missing a rubber bumper on the left side. I found a pickup stake pocket tie down and modified the rubber to match the rubber bumper on the right.
jeep-progress-5-12-2010-017.jpg

I now have the grill and fenders in place. I am finally making some pogress on this Heep!
jeep-progress-5-12-2010-027.jpg

Now I can mount the PDC and the front wiring. I can also finish the power steering hoses without worrying about the grill placement. The grill and fender will be replaced in the future, but for the mean time, I will run it like it is.

Unread 06-22-2010, 11:11 AM   #69
Shamrock84
1988 YJ Wrangler 

damn dude props for starting with such a project. good luck!
Shamrock84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2010, 11:13 AM   #70
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thanks!
I have been able to get some work done on it in the last couple weeks, but I still have a long ways to go.

Unread 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #71
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

(Sorry about the size of the pics, I meant to downsize them before I uploaded them).
It has been a few weeks since I had reported any progress made. In the last couple weeks, I have managed to spend some time on the Jeep. It has been a slow, laborous project, especially with the spaghetti mess of wires that the P.O.S. had left me with. It was a walk in the park to install the gas tank, exhaust system and the missing piece for the steering column. Pics of those soon to come.

The wiring mess. After I had made many attempts to "completing a circuit" just to find that they do not work, I have decided to pull every last wire from the engine side of the bulkhead connector. I had searched for bulkhead wiring diagrams, but I had not much luck in finding any. I did come across a wire schematic specifically for a "93 Cherokee XJ, with these schematics and an'88 YJ bulkhead connector diagram, I managed to locate all but 12 wires, which I am almost sure that they will not be needed. I will verify that this week.

Here is one of the problems that I had to work with. The P.O.S. had cut the connector from the headlight wires, so their locations were unknown.
jeep-headlight-connector-001.jpg

Luckily Ihad removed the entire wire harness from an '88 XJ, I have recycled so much from that harness, and I am sure I am not finished with it yet. Here is the beginning of the headlight connector rebuild.
jeep-headlight-connector-005.jpg

I will have pics of the bulkhead connector mess coming soon.

Unread 07-06-2010, 10:55 AM   #72
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Here is where I stand as of yesterday on my wiring mess. I had spent the whole weekend figuring out this mess, but I had great success. Here is what Ihave up to this point.

I have no idea what so ever what the last P.O.S. did with the wiring, so I pulled every last pin from the bulkhead connector on the engine side.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-002.jpg

This is only a fraction of my reference materials for my wiring.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-003.jpg

This is the beginning stage of locating the wire pins into their bulkhead connector cavities.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-004.jpg

Even though I made good progress, I still have a ways to go. I still have to figure out the remaining wires and where they go to.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-006.jpg

More to come...

Unread 07-06-2010, 11:01 AM   #73
monkeyhouse
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Here is where I stand as of yesterday on my wiring mess. I had spent the whole weekend figuring out this mess, but I had great success. Here is what Ihave up to this point.

I have no idea what so ever what the last P.O.S. did with the wiring, so I pulled every last pin from the bulkhead connector on the engine side.
Attachment 130190

This is only a fraction of my reference materials for my wiring.
Attachment 130191

This is the beginning stage of locating the wire pins into their bulkhead connector cavities.
Attachment 130192

Even though I made good progress, I still have a ways to go. I still have to figure out the remaining wires and where they go to.
Attachment 130193

More to come...
awesome....hey where did you get that paperwork? I didn't know you could find specific year documentation like that, very cool, especially with different engines!
Unread 07-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #74
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

After spending some more time in the garage last night, this is what was remaining after locating the wires listed on the previous posting.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-007.jpg

Here is another view of the wire mess.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-008.jpg

Pulling the looms and the wrap off was necessary to aid in locating where the wires lead to.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-009.jpg

As of 10:30 p.m. last night, this is what is remaining! The wires have been determined where they go to, I should be able to finish this soon. I will also be eliminating wires that are no longer needed, like A/C, XJ front wiper harness, cruise control, ABS etc.
jeep-wrangler-progress-7-5-2010-015.jpg

And now, onto determining where these wires will terminate, some of them will go to the instrument cluster.

Unread 07-06-2010, 12:53 PM   #75
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhouse View Post
awesome....hey where did you get that paperwork? I didn't know you could find specific year documentation like that, very cool, especially with different engines!
The paperwork on the left was found after a search online. Here is that link. http://www.dayid.org/xj/tech/93XJ_wiring2.pdf

The one on the right is merely a retyped version of a diagram given to me by a couple of jeepforum members. I still have to use the original diagram for reference as to where the pin locations are marked at on the bulkhead connector.

I have been informed that this type of detailed info on any vehicle can be found on alldata.com, but it requires a monthly, or yearly membership at a cost.

Towards the end of this project, I will be posting all my search and swap results to help others who wish to take on a project of this size, or to troubleshoot problems that may occure in the future.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.