I call it the Basket Case. - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I call it the Basket Case.

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Reply
Unread 04-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #46
Flajeeper1
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 726
If you can't find some of the misc. dash parts let me know I have alot left over from my interior rebuild.

Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-29-2010, 12:09 PM   #47
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
If you can't find some of the misc. dash parts let me know I have alot left over from my interior rebuild.
I believe I have most of what I need, but if there is anything I come up short on, I will keep you in mind. Thanks!
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 10:34 AM   #48
Tshark299
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
So how is your progress coming? Have you been able to make any headway on your projects?
Eh, somewhat... haha. I've been super busy with work during the day and school at night the past few weeks, plus I've had to go out of town the past few weekends, so haven't had much spare time for the Jeep. The weather has been cold again here lately so that kinda kills the motivation as well haha. Once I replace one more mirror it should be ready for inspection... just gotta deal with DMV to get it back on the road first. So close...!

Last weekend I went to the junkyard and found a complete Ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10s, limited slip, and only 75K miles on it... got it for 82 dollars! So now I'm creating even more projects for myself before I even have the thing on the road... you know how it is with these things.
__________________
'87 YJ Laredo - 4.0L, AX-15, NP231, 4.10s: 3.5" BDS, 31" Muds

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2010, 11:44 AM   #49
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
Eh, somewhat... haha. I've been super busy with work during the day and school at night the past few weeks, plus I've had to go out of town the past few weekends, so haven't had much spare time for the Jeep. The weather has been cold again here lately so that kinda kills the motivation as well haha. Once I replace one more mirror it should be ready for inspection... just gotta deal with DMV to get it back on the road first. So close...!

Last weekend I went to the junkyard and found a complete Ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10s, limited slip, and only 75K miles on it... got it for 82 dollars! So now I'm creating even more projects for myself before I even have the thing on the road... you know how it is with these things.
I'm with you on the cold part. We had six inches of new snow fall just yesterday. Here I thought that winter was over with! Oh well, at least I still have my sanity. (I think).

That 8.8 rear is a steal! I know how you feel on the never ending projects. I still have yet to finish the old Tuxedo Park for my daughter. She is turning 16 in less than a couple months, and she is itching to drive it. I did manage to get new mirrors installed on it just last weekend, so I feel a sense of success there, but I still have to get the horn to work again.

I hear ya on the busy schedule. I am still waiting for a few packages to arrive. Hopefully I can see more progress this Sunday.
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #50
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
It has been a very eventful weekend. I did manage to squeeze some time into my Jeep on Sunday. Along with my trusty sidekick, my 10yo daughter, we managed to get the heater control assembly installed. (She took the pics and handed me the tools as I needed them).A P.O. had destroyed the control cable clips so I had to reuse what I had. I drilled two 5/32" holes beside the clip mounts and ran some tie wire through and secured them this way. I don't think they'r egoing anywhere anytime soon.
jeep-progress-5-02-2010-001.jpg
The two red circled locations are where they are at. The yellow arrow points to the one on the underside.


There was a broken tab on the ilumination bulb socket. I was able to pull one from a Cherokee XJ I had and reuse it here. I managed to unclip the terminals from the socket to save from splicing wires.
jeep-progress-5-02-2010-004.jpg


It looks like it belongs after it was fixed.
jeep-progress-5-02-2010-006.jpg

The dash is almost complete! My wife had ordered a Tuffy security glovebox for me. It should be arriving at my house anyday now.
jeep-progress-5-02-2010-014.jpg


It sure is nice to see some progress made on a project that I have little time and money to invest in.
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #51
Flajeeper1
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 726
Try the controls with your new cable set up. If it works great, if you have problems let me know, I think I have the pieces you're missing. Let me know.
Flajeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #52
Tshark299
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
Nice gauges!!
__________________
'87 YJ Laredo - 4.0L, AX-15, NP231, 4.10s: 3.5" BDS, 31" Muds

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #53
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
Nice gauges!!
Thanks, Tshark. You were a huge help on that part. My daughter on the other hand, is still learing how to control the camera.
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:42 PM   #54
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flajeeper1 View Post
Try the controls with your new cable set up. If it works great, if you have problems let me know, I think I have the pieces you're missing. Let me know.
Thanks for your offer! I have tried them out, and I had just a slight hang-up with one. I will try to spray some lube in them and see if this works. If not, then I will be in contact with you.
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 10:19 AM   #55
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
I love it when parts arrive in the mail, UPS etc. It is like Christmas all year long! My Smittybilt vaulted glove box (I called it Tuffy by mistake earlier) arrived yesterday. I opened it up and discovered that the door at the hinge was slightly pushed in. It was an easy fix though. I also discovered that there was one screw, one flat washer and four nuts missing. Lucky for me, I live only a few blocks away from a hardware store.

Here is the progress as of yesterday afternoon.

I installed the mounting clips after purchasing four new screws, my hardware store did not have a match to the missing one.
jeep-progress-5-03-2010-004.jpg
jeep-progress-5-03-2010-002.jpg

Getting that much closer to completeion!
jeep-progress-5-03-2010-005.jpg
I noticed some runs on the dash pad. Looks like I will have to clean and paint, or just leave it alone.

I am still looking at repairing my gas tank. Luckily, I stock a Devcon product at my work. I will have to try it out. Hopefully it will.
My seats are ready to be installed. Once I tie up a couple wires I will get the seats installed. I am still looking for a plastic piece that goes inside a tilt column. It is used to for the dimmer switch rod from the multi-function stick. I had robbed it from my daughter's Jeep, but I robbed it back.

If anyone has one, drop me a line.
jeep-progress-weekend-march-20-2010-003.jpg  
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."

Last edited by remmons; 05-05-2010 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: Typing issues.
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #56
Tshark299
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 2,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I am still looking for a plastic piece that goes inside a tilt column. It is used to for the dimmer switch rod from the multi-function stick. I had robbed it from my daughter's Jeep, but I robbed it back.

If anyone has one, drop me a line.
I have an XJ tilt column that I'm going to try to sell whole. If nobody wants it I can send you that part out of it. On that same note, don't you have an XJ parts vehicle?
__________________
'87 YJ Laredo - 4.0L, AX-15, NP231, 4.10s: 3.5" BDS, 31" Muds

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2010, 08:28 PM   #57
Nielsen17
Registered User
1995 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Maine
Posts: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
I love it when parts arrive in the mail, UPS etc. It is like Christmas all year long! My Smittybilt vaulted glove box (I called it Tuffy by mistake earlier) arrived yesterday. I opened it up and discovered that the door at the hinge was slightly pushed in. It was an easy fix though. I also discovered that there was one screw, one flat washer and four nuts missing. Lucky for me, I live only a few blocks away from a hardware store.

Here is the progress as of yesterday afternoon.

I installed the mounting clips after purchasing four new screws, my hardware store did not have a match to the missing one.
Attachment 118218
Attachment 118219

Getting that much closer to completeion!
Attachment 118220
I noticed some runs on the dash pad. Looks like I will have to clean and paint, or just leave it alone.

I am still looking at repairing my gas tank. Luckily, I stock a Devcon product at my work. I will have to try it out. Hopefully it will.
My seats are ready to be installed. Once I tie up a couple wires I will get the seats installed. I am still looking for a plastic piece that goes inside a tilt column. It is used to for the dimmer switch rod from the multi-function stick. I had robbed it from my daughter's Jeep, but I robbed it back.

If anyone has one, drop me a line.
I just read this entire thread without signing in and i couldnt figure out why the pics weren't full sized, so missed some details in them. However i will go out and dissemble the couple of steering columns i have for you to see if i can find that part, i just need to unbury them first. I love this thread by the way. I especially like the "i havent had much time but i did do; x, y and z." Its far more than i could do with no time time to subscribe to this one i think. Keep up the good work and ill send you a PM if i find your part
__________________
And to think I used to drive a jetta...
Men and fish are alike. We both get into trouble whenever we open our mouths.
Nielsen17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:30 AM   #58
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
I have an XJ tilt column that I'm going to try to sell whole. If nobody wants it I can send you that part out of it. On that same note, don't you have an XJ parts vehicle?
Yep, I did. When I got it the tilt column was already tore apart, this piece was missing. The parts of the Wrangler column installed are from the XJ. I took everything that I thought would be beneficial.
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:35 AM   #59
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vernal, Utah
Posts: 1,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nielsen17 View Post
I just read this entire thread without signing in and i couldnt figure out why the pics weren't full sized, so missed some details in them. However i will go out and dissemble the couple of steering columns i have for you to see if i can find that part, i just need to unbury them first. I love this thread by the way. I especially like the "i havent had much time but i did do; x, y and z." Its far more than i could do with no time time to subscribe to this one i think. Keep up the good work and ill send you a PM if i find your part
I had to laugh at this response, "i havent had much time but i did do; x, y and z." This seems to be the story of my life!


I did spend about an hour in the garage last night with my three year old. I was devising adapter plates for my bucket seats. I have no clue what the seats are out of, but they are comfy. During that hour I was able to cut two 1/8"x2"x18-1/4" plate steel bars for the drivers seat and drill two holes in each one. My daughter was catching bugs out side. (Yes, a girl who likes bugs)! She would come back inside and tell me that it was raining again. I will have these progress pics available by tomorrow if all goes well tonight.
__________________
Robert.

Quoted from eflightray on RCGroups.com;
"Make something 'fool-proof', and nature will just produce better fools."
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2010, 11:49 AM   #60
sloan74
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Charlotte NC
Posts: 608
"Last weekend I went to the junkyard and found a complete Ford 8.8 rear end with 4.10s, limited slip, and only 75K miles on it... got it for 82 dollars! "

Awesome deal on that 8.8....

You gonna run 4 disc brakes now or 2 drum?

Great thread, the pictures are outstanding!
sloan74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.