I call it the Basket Case. - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I call it the Basket Case.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineStainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM   #241
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I've been holed up for the winter, it has been a long cold winter here in NE Utah.
I have been tinkering with my Jeep on and off, but nothing impressive. Since I don't have that much money to throw into it, I've been just mostly wheeling and exploring.
It is now spring, and I am running with either a soft top, or topless. Future plans (which are in the works) is locating a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear axle and an XJ front axle, both loaded with 3.73's or 4.10's.
Side guards are also in the works, as well as a SYE (if it's available for an AW4 Auto OD from an XJ), and a CV style driveshaft. Once those parts have been rounded up, I will be doing either a 3.5" suspension lift, or a SOA. I plan on doing this all at once, so Iam working on rounding up all of my parts before hand. My project ETA is by late summer.

In the mean time, here is a teaser shot of it's current stance.

jeep3.jpg  

I am by no means a professional. I know just enough to get myself into trouble.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 01:46 PM   #242
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Looks great! I would spend as much time as possible exploring lol just enjoy it then wrench until it hurts
I also have the XJ trams tcase combo I did the hack and tap sye and used a shortened XJ front drive shaft with my rear soa setup and I have had no problems I have driven it the 120 mile round trip to work at 70 mph and wheeled it pretty hard on the weekends
It was a low buck deal $90 for the yoke and 35 for the dshaft I welded it myself and I cut down my tail cone to work with it no leaks no vibes
20jeepster10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #243
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
Looks great! I would spend as much time as possible exploring lol just enjoy it then wrench until it hurts
I also have the XJ trams tcase combo I did the hack and tap sye and used a shortened XJ front drive shaft with my rear soa setup and I have had no problems I have driven it the 120 mile round trip to work at 70 mph and wheeled it pretty hard on the weekends
It was a low buck deal $90 for the yoke and 35 for the dshaft I welded it myself and I cut down my tail cone to work with it no leaks no vibes
LOL on the low buck. Each time that I go to my local auto salvage yard, the counter person is ready to shoot me a deal on anything that I am looking for. I have been exploring the XJ front shaft idea for a while now, but I haven't dedicated myself to it yet. I am still in the search of the best driveshaft that is available from a salvage yard. I know that in the end I'm probably going to go with the XJ. Either way, I have a chop saw and a MIG, so I'm not afraid to hack up a shaft or two in order to get the right set up.

Unread 05-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #244
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lol I learned that if I go to the junk yard on rainy days I get a better deal
I got my coil flywheel crank sensor distributor and plug wires for 40 but I was a mess when I got done
Unread 05-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #245
Gage56
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

just went through all 17 pages

Props to you for pulling through all of this A+ Nice Work

White Jeep Club #302

My Resto/Build Thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/my-official-build-thread-1992-yj-emma-1494420/

Another YJ Resto
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/p...81/?highlight=

Sun Visor Fix How To
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/s...x-how-1607617/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom95YJ View Post
This is a prime example why people should be give a IQ test before they are allowed to Vote or Breed.
Gage56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2013, 04:13 PM   #246
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I wanted to remove my hard top for the summer, But the problem is, I am no longer young and strong, so I had devised a little hoist system to use to lift my top off of my Jeep.

I had a garage hoist storage system laying in pieces in my utility room. Since I no longer had a garage, I figured that it would work as a hoist-a-top. I never knew what I was going to use for the frame though, so one day I got to thinking of my daughters swing set that she had no longer used. Don't worry, she still has another one that is cooler.

The legs were a little short for the purpose, so I had purchased a length of chain link post and cut it into 1/4ths and used them to extend the legs of the swing set. I had drilled holes for the carriage bolts to slip through the pipe to support the swingset. I will anchor down the system at a later date.

I then purchased two u-bolts and drilled holes through the hoist system to mount it to the swingset.

I had fabbed up four chunks of 1-1/2"x1-1/2"x6" angle iron and installed them onto the hoist cable I-bolts.

Once I had everything together I parked my Jeep under the hoist. I removed all of the fasteners from the top, hooked up my lift brackets, and cranked the top up and off of the jeep. The top is heavy on the back, so the hoist system started leaning to the back. This is telling me that I will need to drill a hole for a centering pin so that the hoist assembly isn't twisting on me when I crank up on the top. Otherwise, I am happy with how well that this had worked. I will repaint this when ihave some free time.
imag1599.jpg   imag1601.jpg   imag1600.jpg  

Unread 05-12-2013, 11:29 PM   #247
Jansar
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hello
I have a similar project going on my own wrangler, 90cherokee engine with aw4 auto trans to replace old 4.2&tf999
did u do anything fancy to the interiors when u put the shiftstick on the floor??
I was going to do the same with mine but still thinkin what to do with the interior
also i was going to use wranglers own np231 tcase as i have sye already on it, u wont get sye to 242, or atleast not the same as in 231...

awesome build u got there sofar
Jansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 01:30 PM   #248
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jansar View Post
Hello
I have a similar project going on my own wrangler, 90cherokee engine with aw4 auto trans to replace old 4.2&tf999
did u do anything fancy to the interiors when u put the shiftstick on the floor??
I was going to do the same with mine but still thinkin what to do with the interior
also i was going to use wranglers own np231 tcase as i have sye already on it, u wont get sye to 242, or atleast not the same as in 231...

awesome build u got there sofar
I haven't done anything wit hthe interior as of yet, other than get a fully functioning dash, steering, seats, and shifters mounted to the floor. I used sheet metal srews to attach the shifter directly to the tranny hump, I also attached the stock XJ shifter to the floor pan as well. I had to fab up a transfer case link, but in the end it was well worth it. I am planning on building a center console and shifter cover, but time seems to have been escaping me.

As for the transfer case, have the spline count ready for when you are going to swap it to the AW4, as that the AW4 electronically controlled automatic featured an output shaft with 21 splines, with an upgrade to 23 splines in 1991. As to the conversion, I have no knowledge of this, but I'm sure that the Cherokee forum guys would have the answer to that question.

Unread 05-14-2013, 07:02 PM   #249
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Not to but in I did the same swap I cut the tunnel cutout out the XJ and screwed it to the cover in my yj this allowed me to use the shifter and linkage from the XJ too then I used a tj small consol over it it turned out factory looking all though kinda small
Unread 05-15-2013, 09:33 AM   #250
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
Not to but in I did the same swap I cut the tunnel cutout out the XJ and screwed it to the cover in my yj this allowed me to use the shifter and linkage from the XJ too then I used a tj small consol over it it turned out factory looking all though kinda small
This sounds like that it had turned out fairly well. I have yet to make a center console, it's either been too cold (during the winter) or I've just been too busy. Someday I'll get around to it.

Unread 08-14-2013, 02:21 PM   #251
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

No, I haven't dropped off the face of the Earth, just been tied up with work and chasing girls, (well, one girl anyway).

Last Friday I had went down to my local salvage yard and picked up a Ford 8.8 with disc brakes and a 3.73 with a limited slip, tag code 3L73. Although it is missing the calipers, I had picked this up for $200.00. I have decided that the 3.73 will be adequate for most of what I will be doing, since I am only running 31's with the possibility that I will go to 33's in the near future. I will start rounding up the parts to install it in to my YJ, such as the pinion flange adapter (which can be found on a ranger), the brake calipers, parking brake cables (from a Grand Cherokee), and the M.O.R.E. 8.8 install kit (perches, plates, and U-bolts). But, in the mean time, I will begin to remove the spring perches, the shock mounts, and the rotors, sand the rust off, and begin the finish work. During this time I will begin rounding up what I will need to do a SYE as well. There is a fine write-up over on the Cherokee forums for performing an SYE on the NP242 transfer case. I will post pics once I figure out why my phone is not sending the pics to my Photobucket or to both of my e-mails.

Unread 08-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #252
Tshark299
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I have an 8.8 I picked up from a U-Pull-It a few years ago that I still haven't gotten around to installing so can't wait to see how this goes for you!

'95 XJ - Donated drive train to the YJ, Parted out the rest

'51 CJ-3A - Buick 225 V6: Painless Wiring Harness, Warn Overdrive & Hubs, 2" Lift, 31" Muds
Tshark299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #253
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tshark299 View Post
I have an 8.8 I picked up from a U-Pull-It a few years ago that I still haven't gotten around to installing so can't wait to see how this goes for you!
It's good to hear from you again Tshark, it's been awhile.

I am in the process of rounding up all of the components to make this install a quick and efficient one.

Yesterday I had went to my local auto salvage yard and picked up a pair of disc brake calipers for just under $40.00. I had also picked up a pinion yoke flange for adapting my 1310 style u-joint to the 8.8, but Ihad pulled the wrong one, so today at lunch I am going back out there to get the right one. I will hopefully also pick up a set of disc brake parking brake cables from a GC, I have been told that they will work. I will see...

Unread 08-26-2013, 09:07 PM   #254
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Today I went to the salvage yard and pulled a front D30 axle with 3.73s for $250.00. I also I bought a used 4x4 posi lock that was in excellent condition for only $40.00. Now to prep my axle before I install it.

Unread 10-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #255
WJ4x4LIFE

Impressive, by the way. Any updates?
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.