I call it the Basket Case. - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I call it the Basket Case.

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion KitLJ Suspension Systems from Clayton Off Road

Unread 11-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #151
sampsonite987
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Awesome! Your persistance paid off.

sampsonite987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #152
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampsonite987 View Post
Awesome! Your persistance paid off.
Thank you. I wasn't about to give up that easily. Sure Ihad a couple V8's in my garage and a couple TH400's sitting around, but I wanted it "stock like". I wanted the reliability, power and economy (maybe economy) that an L6 was famous for.

I had spent some time on it last night, ordering radiator hoses (on back order), fluids and such. I also removed the drivers side fender to make access a little easier when I install the PCM on the firewall. I will have more pics later. Since I unreaveled all of the wire harness, I will have to rewrap it back up. Oh well, at least I can better judge where and how I want my wiring to run.
jeep-running-002.jpg
The PCM will be going just under the bulkhead connector. I have to make sure that it clears the charcoal canister, or relocate the canister. I'll see when Iget to that point.
jeep-running-003.jpg
As you can see, I have a bigger mess than I had started out with. Hopefully, I will have it all back in order by this weekend.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...t-case-989208/
remmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2010, 08:24 PM   #153
CreepyCrawler95
1995 YJ Wrangler 

thats alot of wiring. wire shroud or shrink wrap
CreepyCrawler95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2010, 07:11 AM   #154
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreepyCrawler95 View Post
thats alot of wiring. wire shroud or shrink wrap
Yep, it is, but it isn't that difficult, just time consuming. I plan on using wrap and split loom, much like how it was originally. At least this way I can run my wiring based on the components in the engine bay.

Unread 11-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #155
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Last night I managed to complete the relocate for the charcoal canister and the installation of the PCM(pics coming soon). I will then clean and seal (paint) any bare or rusty metal that is there and reinstall the drivers side fender. Hopefully my lower radiator hose will show up today, the nthe fluids will be complete. This weekend I will start with the wiring, getting it located where I want it to run and start wraping it up. It is starting to get colder here now, so I am running out of time. My garage doesn't keep heat very well.

Unread 11-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #156
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

I have no pictures since my wife took the camera for her students performances.

As I have mentioned earlier, I had managed to get the Jeep running finally. I wrapped the wiring back up and tucked it away as neatly as possible. I thought that I had an issue at one time. I thought that the tranny was no good. I put the jeep into drive, nothing, went through all the gears, still nothing. So I let it set for a few days until I had an idea. I checked my t/case shifter linkage and realized that I had one more notch to go! DOH! I had forgotten that I put the t-case into neutral when I bolted it back up to the tranny. So I was off by one step.

I took it for a test drive last Saturday night. WOW! The power it has! It had a bog when I first step on the gas, but once it kicks in, it goes! I am glad that I had stuck with the 4.0 conversion. BTW. I have 3.07 gears too! Now, to look for a soft top for a reasonable price so that I can drive it.

Unread 11-15-2010, 10:47 AM   #157
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Great Job, Looks Great! I had the same reaction, i had the 4 cyl for 10yrs and 225k miles, took it for a spin with the 4.0 couldnt believe the difference, allthough i have the stock 4:10s and 35's.
20jeepster10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #158
five-string
1990 YJ Wrangler 

remmons, those pictures are exactly what mine looks like right now, spaghetti everywhere! I installed a 4.0 head on my 4.2.

I did the same thing, unwrapped both the original and replacement harnesses and removed all the wiring I don't need. I ripped the dash apart to remove factory AC and original computer behind glove box, along with all the wires.Then I will wrap and loom everything once it is running. All connections soldered and shrink wrapped. And you are right, time consuming but not too difficult one wire at a time.

I found by labeling each necessary wire with a piece of tape helps me to remember what it is for and where it goes. Otherwise I would be looking up the same wires several times.

You sure have come a long way from page one. Great work.
White Jeep Club #119
☼lllllll☼
five-string is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #159
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Thank you, five-string. It has been a lot of work. There were times that I had become so frustrated that I had to walk away from it. Trying to get it running was possibly the most challenging thing that I had ever done. But once all of the planets aligned and the stars shone bright, I was able to get it started. It was a reward. All of my frustrations seemed to have vanished once I heard the motor purr.

I have some pictures of progress. I have gotten further than this, but these are what I have for now.

I pulled the left fender off to gain an easier access to the firewall for the placement of the ECM.
jeep-progress-10-17-2010-009.jpg

I used 1/4"x2-1/2" carriage bolts through the firewall to secure the PCM. It looks right at home there. I had also relocated the Charcoal vapor canister.
jeep-progress-10-17-2010-010.jpg

While I had the fender off, I sprayed any bare metal with a can of rusty metal primer. There was only a little oxidization, but I figured that it wouldn't hurt to do it anyway. I also painted the firewall. It was easier to access now before I reassembled everything.
jeep-progress-10-17-2010-015.jpg

I started the retaping process. I first separated what circuits and runs went where, pretaped them into place, then ran a full wrap around all of the wires.
jeep-progress-10-17-2010-020.jpg

Here was the hardest area to wrap up due to all of the components involved in the area, but it is all done now. A few of the bare wires will be wrapped within the split loom. These wires are for future use, just in case I added in a component, like a radiator cooling fan, a second set of fog lights, a hood light etc.
jeep-progress-10-17-2010-023.jpg

I have since wrapped all of the bundles of wire in split loom. I had recycled all of the good pieces (which were still in great shape) and placed them according to size and length of the bundled runs. It may not look factory, but it sure does look a heck of a lot better than it did when I started.

Now, to move on to the tranny leak. By the looks of it, it is coming from the front pump area, but I will have to pull the tranny back out in order to determine this. I have yet to reconnect the front frive shaft. I guess that it was a good idea to leave it off until everything has been worked out.

Unread 11-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #160
x99j

excellent progress! i don't know if you know this? but that pcm location is the stock location for yj's 91-96. that is where my 91's is located.

i am proud that you stuck with this wiring frustration and prevailed, their are not many people on this planet that can handle this level of complexity!

good luck with the pump seal on the aw4. love the pictures! mike

91 yj 2.5l, ax-5, np 231 3 inck lift, 31'' mud rovers

12 kk 3.7L, 42rle, mp1522, d-30, 8.25.
x99j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 10:51 AM   #161
20jeepster10
2004 TJ Wrangler 

how about updates!
20jeepster10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #162
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20jeepster10 View Post
how about updates!
It has been set on the back burner for the mean time. Christmas and a possible divorce has taken priority over my project. After the holidays I should be able to get some time in on it.

Unread 12-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #163
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmons View Post
It has been set on the back burner for the mean time. Christmas and a possible divorce has taken priority over my project. After the holidays I should be able to get some time in on it.
I'll be looking forward to the progress. Hopefully the jeep isn't a cause for the divorce.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2010, 02:16 PM   #164
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Naw, the Jeep isn't. It was one of the things that we shared common ground on, that and her Jeep.

Unread 02-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #165
remmons
Some assembly required.
2002 KJ Liberty 

Well, after going through some life-altering changes, I am happy to report that I have my Jeep back! My new home has a garage too, but it was used for the maintenance personel for storage for the complex. They said that it will be a couple weeks before they can clear it all out. After this, I will be able to start on getting it ready for spring.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.