I bought a 4.0l engine for $10! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I bought a 4.0l engine for $10!

Bilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and CBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiDana 30 Truss for your TJ, LJ, ZJ, and XJ

Unread 04-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #16
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverb View Post
Wire brush that rust off and see if thats a crack on the left. I think thats a mounting point though so you should be in the clear.

Yeah the pic doesn't do it any justice but the area to left is actually a little tab or fin that comes out away from the block. I took a scribe to it and flaked off the loose stuff, but it looks only to be surface, so I think I am good.

89blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #17
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
Where you at in NorCal? There's lots of us in the Sac area that would probably be willing to help out.
I appreciate the offer but I live about 6 hours north in Humboldt county.
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #18
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89blackwidow View Post
Yeah, that's a little too far. Good luck though.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 07:41 PM   #19
Wheelman286
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
It is a 95+.

The oil cap is a clicky type that screws on. The Earlier ones had two tabs.
My 92 has a screw oil cap just like his. It came with it too.
Unread 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #20
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I grew up in sohum
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:06 AM   #21
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
No harness or computer. I think I will probably take my time on this and break it down to replace the bearings, rings etc. I also take the block to get new freeze plugs put in.
Before you start into all this rebuild and parts acquisition (most of the drive train, computer, wiring harness, etc.), it might be worthwhile making a comprehensive list of what you need and then seeing what the whole project is going to cost you. Personally, I wouldn't rebuild a 4.0, especially if I also had to get the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, etc. I would find a doner vehicle that has a small V or some variety (V6 or V8 - I prefer GM for this) and take as much of the drive train and electronics as I would need for the swap. You'll end up with more available power and better economy with this type of swap.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:49 AM   #22
Fhajad
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
Before you start into all this rebuild and parts acquisition (most of the drive train, computer, wiring harness, etc.), it might be worthwhile making a comprehensive list of what you need and then seeing what the whole project is going to cost you. Personally, I wouldn't rebuild a 4.0, especially if I also had to get the transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, etc. I would find a doner vehicle that has a small V or some variety (V6 or V8 - I prefer GM for this) and take as much of the drive train and electronics as I would need for the swap. You'll end up with more available power and better economy with this type of swap.
Why not rebuild a 4.0?

I can get a rebuilt kit for like, $450 that has everything in it but the crankshaft and machining.
Fhajad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 08:35 AM   #23
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
I agree with you about making a list of parts I will need for the swap. I also need to take the time and do some more research. I plan on getting another vehicle this time next year which will allow me to tackle this project without feeling rushed. I plan on using my transfer case from my 2.5l and finding an AX15 tranny. I also had already planned on putting a SYE on it also. I thought about doing the V8 swap but feel I'll need to replace alot more parts such as radiator, axles etc. than doing the 4.0 swap.
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:55 AM   #24
matko25

i would suggest lifting the tub off it will make everything easier
matko25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-13-2010, 10:09 AM   #25
Allen52105
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I live in eureka if you need any help with the jeep

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.