I bought a 4.0l engine for $10! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I bought a 4.0l engine for $10!

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a 4.0l engine for $10!

I was fortunate enough to purchase this motor on ebay for $10.50. It was pulled from a 94 with 130,000 miles. It doesn't have a flywheel but crank easily turns over. It does have an area of rust on the block I'm a little concerned about, but overall its appears to be pretty decent. If anyone can tell me things that are obviously missing from the motor please let me know as this is the first 6 cylinder I have see up close. I hope to be able to rebuild it and put it in my 89 to replace the 2.5l.

This next photo is the area of rust I am concerned about. Not sure if this can be repaired at a machine shop or not.

89blackwidow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
88YJtoCJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

looks like a blown head? Can't really tell from that picture which part of the block it is.

You could get a new head if thats the case, which would take care of that during a rebuild.
88YJtoCJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
moonshinefuel
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, you got ripped, $7.49 would have been my final offer. Considered an HO engine right? I think all od them were at that time, not sure though.
moonshinefuel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
green89yj
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah. That is an HO. It's OBDI too which will help when wiring it up. Obviously gonna need a new distributor, ha. I'd go to the junkyard and get everything from a 94 YJ or XJ as far as wiring goes and just start cleaning the block up and looking for issues.
WTS: 4.2 parts. Fuel lines, pump, block, head, accessories, just ask
green89yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If I am reading the block casting correctly its from a 95. The number is 509MXI3. The other block number is 53020569 which I think is a serial number.
Unread 04-11-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

It is a 95+.

The oil cap is a clicky type that screws on. The Earlier ones had two tabs.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #7
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the responses!
Unread 04-11-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
geusey
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshinefuel View Post
Wow, you got ripped, $7.49 would have been my final offer. Considered an HO engine right? I think all od them were at that time, not sure though.
yeah, im pretty sure all of the fuel injected 4.0s they put in yjs were HO.
Unread 04-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
SkullTripper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Where can I find out what the numbers on the side of my engine mean? sorry for highjacking :/

[COLOR="Lime"][B]My 1987 Jeep Wrangler Build..[/B][/COLOR]
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/z-o-r-v-87yj-build-slow-978747/[/url]
SkullTripper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

That engine looks pretty good & that bit of rust on cast iron is nothing, but before installing it, I'd do a compression test on it to see if it's worth putting in - the rebuild parts and labor for things like honing etc will add up to a lot of cash. To do the compression test, you'll need a bell housing, starter motor, and battery.

Do you have the harness, computer, etc as well?
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Shame you live in N. Cali. I have a 20 gallon plastic tank with fuel pump etc you will need. Bound to save you some cash, Think i have $25 bucks in it. But shipping a fuel tank has to be a nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 12:58 PM   #12
Reverb
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Wire brush that rust off and see if thats a crack on the left. I think thats a mounting point though so you should be in the clear.
Reverb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #13
RikRotorhead
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Alternator, idler pulley, and power steering pump are missing.
That rust could be coming from a leaking freeze plug. Hard to tell from that pic even which side of the engine it's on.
Great score. And yeah, you will need a flywheel from a 4.0 with the CPS notches, an AX15 trans, NP231/J transfer case, and a fuel tank from a YJ that had fuel injection. Your 2.5 has the AX5 and a np231 with 21 spline, you need a 23 to work with the ax15.
All bone yard parts or craigslist. But for what you paid for that engine, it will be a relatively inexpensive install.
RJC#512
RikRotorhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Where you at in NorCal? There's lots of us in the Sac area that would probably be willing to help out.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2010, 05:46 PM   #15
89blackwidow
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
That engine looks pretty good & that bit of rust on cast iron is nothing, but before installing it, I'd do a compression test on it to see if it's worth putting in - the rebuild parts and labor for things like honing etc will add up to a lot of cash. To do the compression test, you'll need a bell housing, starter motor, and battery.

Do you have the harness, computer, etc as well?
No harness or computer. I think I will probably take my time on this and break it down to replace the bearings, rings etc. I also take the block to get new freeze plugs put in.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.