I-4 2.5L 89 YJ refuses to start - runs rich if at all - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > I-4 2.5L 89 YJ refuses to start - runs rich if at all

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYear End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 09-17-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
JeepArt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I-4 2.5L 89 YJ refuses to start - runs rich if at all

Ok Jeepers, I'm looking for some advice.

Bought a 89 YJ I-4 2.5L and I've hit a snag. The jeep (when running) runs very rich. Black exhaust marks on the pavement where it's been idling, carbon fouling on the spark plugs and so on. Now to compound the issue, it refuses to start at all. Trying to start results in a gas odor from under the hood and no ignition.

Here's what I've done and tested:
  • Replaced distributor cap and rotor
  • Tested for spark (successful)
  • Replaced plugs
  • Replaced MAP sensor
  • Replaced O2 sensor
  • Replaced CPS
  • Cleaned Throttle Body Injector
  • Tested for fuel flow (successful)
  • Replaced fuel filter
  • Replaced air filter

Questions:
  • Any suggestions on other things to check to get her started?
  • What could cause her to run so rich when running?
  • I'm speculating the TBI could be a factor...what are the odds?
  • I haven't replaced the TPS yet but have one on order...should I do that as well?

Thanks in advance for your help getting this girl up and running.

JeepArt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepArt View Post
Ok Jeepers, I'm looking for some advice.

Bought a 89 YJ I-4 2.5L and I've hit a snag. The jeep (when running) runs very rich. Black exhaust marks on the pavement where it's been idling, carbon fouling on the spark plugs and so on. Now to compound the issue, it refuses to start at all. Trying to start results in a gas odor from under the hood and no ignition.

Here's what I've done and tested:

[*]Replaced distributor cap and rotor[*]Tested for spark (successful)[*]Replaced plugs[*]Replaced MAP sensor[*]Replaced O2 sensor[*]Replaced CPS[*]Cleaned Throttle Body Injector[*]Tested for fuel flow (successful)[*]Replaced fuel filter[*]Replaced air filter

Questions:
[*]Any suggestions on other things to check to get her started?[*]What could cause her to run so rich when running?[*]I'm speculating the TBI could be a factor...what are the odds?[*]I haven't replaced the TPS yet but have one on order...should I do that as well?

Thanks in advance for your help getting this girl up and running.
Do a fuel pressure test. I am betting you have a bad pressure regulator. You should have I think its 14 psi with the tbi. Someone will need to verify that though.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
JeepArt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Would low fuel pressure be symptomatic of running rich when running at all?
Unread 09-17-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepArt View Post
Would low fuel pressure be symptomatic of running rich when running at all?
No but high fuel pressure would.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using JeepForum

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

The pressure is only 14 psi on the TBI. You should look at the rebuild kit with replacement injector for the throttlebody. This is in the Schaef thread below:

How to google the forum:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...oogle-1003734/

To download the fsm:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/87-88%20YJ%20Jeep%20Wrangler%20FSM%20manual.pdf
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/40590346/1990%20Jeep%20Factory%20Service%20Manual.pdf

If you download the FSM and you are not a member of dropbox, please PM Ninjakid and join under him. It gives him more space to store and it is a real generous thing to get the manual for free!
http://jeepspace.jeepforum.com/ninjakid

Also lots of good info in Shaef's threads about his TBI:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/8...ocess-1293442/
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/2...-idle-1293410/

Get a multimeter. Some of the pre 91 tbi sensors require an adjustment to setup when replaced. Since you are dealing with PO that probably didn't know, chances are you need to do some adjustments with the basic tune up. Wide open throttle switch(WOT), the throttle position sensor(TPS), Idle Speed Adjustment Motor(ISA), and the fuel pressure on the throttle body.
Que89YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:11 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry, ignore the injector thing for now. Read through the thread and it tells you about measuring the pressure. x1000 with Siva. Measure it!
Unread 09-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
JeepArt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Will do on the pressure check...if I can get the Jeep running. The problem I'm facing now is that the engine won't start. Fuel is being delivered, plenty of spark, but no ignition. Ideas? It's headed for the shop if I can't get this figured out. TIA
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:08 PM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

No ignition.... Yes. Check power at the coil. Replace the coil ICM. Most good parts stores have a testor for it. You can check fuel pressure by jumping the fuel pump relay with a small wire between 30/87 in the relay socket.
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:16 PM   #9
JeepArt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

What's odd is it was running, rough and rich mind you, but it was running. Maybe this helps... When it was running it ran Ok until I stopped the Jeep then it wouldn't restart, even with starter fluid.
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the fuel pressure before you do anything else.

-1989 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L, soon to be 5.2L
-1996 Jeep Grand Cherokar 5.2L, donor and rainy day driver
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:24 PM   #11
JeepArt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'm picking up a fuel pressure gauge tomorrow along with a new TPS which I was planning to install anyway. Another observation: after cleaning the TBI I fired the engine and saw what looked like a good amount of fuel come from the injector into the throttle body.
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:28 PM   #12
95YJRusso
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does the starter motor turn over?
Unread 09-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #13
JeepArt
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Starter motor turns over. I get spark from the distributor. New plugs all checked and gap. Visually confirmed fuel into the throttle body and out of the injector.

I can't help but think it's electrical/computer related because of the hatchet job the previous owner did on the wiring to install a stereo (turn on the headlights and the radio loses power... Go figure.)
Unread 09-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #14
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Check the pressure. If you are getting spark then there is only fuel and timing. I miss understood what you said about spark. Siva is right.
Unread 09-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #15
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
Check the pressure. If you are getting spark then there is only fuel and timing. I miss understood what you said about spark. Siva is right.
I remembered some of what you taught me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.