Hydroboost guys, I need some help - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
USMCBuckWild
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sneads Ferry
Posts: 975
Hydroboost guys, I need some help

I am prepping everything I need to do the Hydroboost swap into my Jeep. I already procured the hydroboost, mount, pedal and bracket, master cylinder, H.O. Pump, lines and remote reservoir. I also grabbed the proportioning valve, but now realized it might not work. I have an 8.8 with discs in the rear and the prop valve I grabbed is for disc/drum combo. It has 2 very different sized brake lines.

So, out of curiousity; what did you guys run for a prop valve? I want to do it riht the first time and not have to take the system apart again in the future. I know i can et an aftermarket prop valve, but I am looking to keep it simple.

Any suggestions?


91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
USMCBuckWild is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 08:43 AM
phil1330
Registered User
1964 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lexington
Posts: 451
Can you not just change the fitting that goes into the valve and reflare that brake line?

"Life is hard, it's harder if your're stupid"...The Duke
phil1330 is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,604
Suimmit and Jegs both sell them.
Mine is an Allstar from Summit. Turn the knob and set the F/R pressures to your liking.
jsawduste is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
USMCBuckWild
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sneads Ferry
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Suimmit and Jegs both sell them.
Mine is an Allstar from Summit. Turn the knob and set the F/R pressures to your liking.
Any issues with the bias? How much adjustment did you have to do?

91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
USMCBuckWild is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
USMCBuckWild
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sneads Ferry
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
Can you not just change the fitting that goes into the valve and reflare that brake line?
If it was that simple it wouldn't be an issue. The prop valve was designed for disc fron drum rear. The drums use less fluid with higher pressure to actuate the brake cylinder. The pistons in the calipers require more fluid with lower pressures. So even if i changed out the brake line size, the prop valve was setup to move a certain amount of fluid, so the rear brakes would in turn get fluid differntly than needed and may not work correctly.

Kind of the same idea when people swap in an 8.8 with discs and they rmo e the o-ring from the stock Jeep prop valve.

91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
USMCBuckWild is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM
phil1330
Registered User
1964 CJ5 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Lexington
Posts: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
If it was that simple it wouldn't be an issue. The prop valve was designed for disc fron drum rear. The drums use less fluid with higher pressure to actuate the brake cylinder. The pistons in the calipers require more fluid with lower pressures. So even if i changed out the brake line size, the prop valve was setup to move a certain amount of fluid, so the rear brakes would in turn get fluid differntly than needed and may not work correctly.

Kind of the same idea when people swap in an 8.8 with discs and they rmo e the o-ring from the stock Jeep prop valve.
Gotcha, that's why that was kinda of question Cuz I was unsure if that would even work. I know now.thanks

"Life is hard, it's harder if your're stupid"...The Duke
phil1330 is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,604
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Any issues with the bias? How much adjustment did you have to do?
No problems with the bias at all.

In fact I`ve gone from 1/2 ford (HP44) calipers to full 1 ton dual piston calipers......Dodger rotors and 1 ton caliper brackets...........and was able to readjust with plenty of additional adjustment available.

3 thoughts since you want to do it once and do it right.

The MC you want should have a 1 1/4 - 1 5/16ths bore. This allow the MC to push enough fluid for any application you might have/want.

If your going to run a ram you might consider talking to Vanco or Blaine and having the MC ported. I tried unported and was not happy with the low RPM response. Even a bigger pump or driving the pump faster would not of helped. You can only pass so much fluid through the MC at a time. Excess pressure means heat.

You want to run a cooler. Consider this a must have. The pump will be adding a lot of heat to the fluid and you will want to have a means of removing it.
jsawduste is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
USMCBuckWild
Registered User
1991 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sneads Ferry
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
No problems with the bias at all.

In fact I`ve gone from 1/2 ford (HP44) calipers to full 1 ton dual piston calipers......Dodger rotors and 1 ton caliper brackets...........and was able to readjust with plenty of additional adjustment available.

3 thoughts since you want to do it once and do it right.

The MC you want should have a 1 1/4 - 1 5/16ths bore. This allow the MC to push enough fluid for any application you might have/want.

If your going to run a ram you might consider talking to Vanco or Blaine and having the MC ported. I tried unported and was not happy with the low RPM response. Even a bigger pump or driving the pump faster would not of helped. You can only pass so much fluid through the MC at a time. Excess pressure means heat.

You want to run a cooler. Consider this a must have. The pump will be adding a lot of heat to the fluid and you will want to have a means of removing it.
I initially grabbed an 08 Chevy 6.0 hydroboost, but was told this was not optimal. Went back and picked up a 91 Astrovan system. Supposedly has a larger port than the 08. Its a 1 5/16 from what I understand.

Not running a ram. Just hydro boost with a steering box. I actually picked up one of the factory HO pumps (a 185 pump, I checked the vane plate) so it should exceed the requirements of just the hydroboost and steering.

I already put a large trans cooler in as my power ateering cooler. Its mounted low in front of and seperate of the radiator. Its spaced about 3/4" awayfrom the radiator so as to not sink heat from the radiator. I gotthe high pressure lines from the 08, which are almost perfect for length, and better hoses than the Astrovan had.

I am pretty confident in the setup, the only shortfall I could see was the prop valve. I like the idea of the adjustable one, and will probably go in that direction.

91 YJ, 350/700R4/231, 8.8/HPD30 with 3.73s, 6" SOA with 38" TSLs. If I ever see the previous owner again, I am going to curb stomp that meth-head brain dead crackpot.
USMCBuckWild is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,604
Sounds like a good plan.
jsawduste is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome