Hydroboost guys, I need some help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydroboost guys, I need some help

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #1
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hydroboost guys, I need some help

I am prepping everything I need to do the Hydroboost swap into my Jeep. I already procured the hydroboost, mount, pedal and bracket, master cylinder, H.O. Pump, lines and remote reservoir. I also grabbed the proportioning valve, but now realized it might not work. I have an 8.8 with discs in the rear and the prop valve I grabbed is for disc/drum combo. It has 2 very different sized brake lines.

So, out of curiousity; what did you guys run for a prop valve? I want to do it riht the first time and not have to take the system apart again in the future. I know i can et an aftermarket prop valve, but I am looking to keep it simple.

Any suggestions?

Unread 04-07-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Can you not just change the fitting that goes into the valve and reflare that brake line?
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:45 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Suimmit and Jegs both sell them.
Mine is an Allstar from Summit. Turn the knob and set the F/R pressures to your liking.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #4
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
Suimmit and Jegs both sell them.
Mine is an Allstar from Summit. Turn the knob and set the F/R pressures to your liking.
Any issues with the bias? How much adjustment did you have to do?
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil1330 View Post
Can you not just change the fitting that goes into the valve and reflare that brake line?
If it was that simple it wouldn't be an issue. The prop valve was designed for disc fron drum rear. The drums use less fluid with higher pressure to actuate the brake cylinder. The pistons in the calipers require more fluid with lower pressures. So even if i changed out the brake line size, the prop valve was setup to move a certain amount of fluid, so the rear brakes would in turn get fluid differntly than needed and may not work correctly.

Kind of the same idea when people swap in an 8.8 with discs and they rmo e the o-ring from the stock Jeep prop valve.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
If it was that simple it wouldn't be an issue. The prop valve was designed for disc fron drum rear. The drums use less fluid with higher pressure to actuate the brake cylinder. The pistons in the calipers require more fluid with lower pressures. So even if i changed out the brake line size, the prop valve was setup to move a certain amount of fluid, so the rear brakes would in turn get fluid differntly than needed and may not work correctly.

Kind of the same idea when people swap in an 8.8 with discs and they rmo e the o-ring from the stock Jeep prop valve.
Gotcha, that's why that was kinda of question Cuz I was unsure if that would even work. I know now.thanks
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCBuckWild View Post
Any issues with the bias? How much adjustment did you have to do?
No problems with the bias at all.

In fact I`ve gone from 1/2 ford (HP44) calipers to full 1 ton dual piston calipers......Dodger rotors and 1 ton caliper brackets...........and was able to readjust with plenty of additional adjustment available.

3 thoughts since you want to do it once and do it right.

The MC you want should have a 1 1/4 - 1 5/16ths bore. This allow the MC to push enough fluid for any application you might have/want.

If your going to run a ram you might consider talking to Vanco or Blaine and having the MC ported. I tried unported and was not happy with the low RPM response. Even a bigger pump or driving the pump faster would not of helped. You can only pass so much fluid through the MC at a time. Excess pressure means heat.

You want to run a cooler. Consider this a must have. The pump will be adding a lot of heat to the fluid and you will want to have a means of removing it.
Unread 04-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
USMCBuckWild
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
No problems with the bias at all.

In fact I`ve gone from 1/2 ford (HP44) calipers to full 1 ton dual piston calipers......Dodger rotors and 1 ton caliper brackets...........and was able to readjust with plenty of additional adjustment available.

3 thoughts since you want to do it once and do it right.

The MC you want should have a 1 1/4 - 1 5/16ths bore. This allow the MC to push enough fluid for any application you might have/want.

If your going to run a ram you might consider talking to Vanco or Blaine and having the MC ported. I tried unported and was not happy with the low RPM response. Even a bigger pump or driving the pump faster would not of helped. You can only pass so much fluid through the MC at a time. Excess pressure means heat.

You want to run a cooler. Consider this a must have. The pump will be adding a lot of heat to the fluid and you will want to have a means of removing it.
I initially grabbed an 08 Chevy 6.0 hydroboost, but was told this was not optimal. Went back and picked up a 91 Astrovan system. Supposedly has a larger port than the 08. Its a 1 5/16 from what I understand.

Not running a ram. Just hydro boost with a steering box. I actually picked up one of the factory HO pumps (a 185 pump, I checked the vane plate) so it should exceed the requirements of just the hydroboost and steering.

I already put a large trans cooler in as my power ateering cooler. Its mounted low in front of and seperate of the radiator. Its spaced about 3/4" awayfrom the radiator so as to not sink heat from the radiator. I gotthe high pressure lines from the 08, which are almost perfect for length, and better hoses than the Astrovan had.

I am pretty confident in the setup, the only shortfall I could see was the prop valve. I like the idea of the adjustable one, and will probably go in that direction.
Unread 04-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good plan.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.