hydraulic throwout bearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hydraulic throwout bearing

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 12-17-2001, 12:52 PM   #1
evilpsych

hydraulic throwout bearing

hey guys.. went to go bleed my clutch line cuz i thought it had air in it from one of my earlier posts.. the metal lines going into the trans were awfully loose.. i attached the bleed line, and pumped the clutch twice and fluid was everywhere.. i figure the tubing snapped off or came loose. anyway.. how much should it cost me to get this done? autozone has the bearing for $99.. i got a quote from the local dealer here for $670 installed..

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 05:20 PM   #2
byj92

$670??? no way...find someone else...my line snapped a few months ago, which sucked...i took it to a local mechanic and it was $250 installed...maybe i just found a good deal, but 670 is way excessive
byj92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 08:02 PM   #3
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

If you are replacing the throw out bearing, you should also change the clutch. Shouldn't be any more in labor because they are removing it anyway too get to the throw out bearing. If the bearing is bad then you know the clutch will be going soon. It isn't a very hard job. Just drop the tranny, Everything is right there. Shop manual explains everything. You and a buddy can probably do a complete repair on one saturday

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2001, 09:01 PM   #4
bob91yj

Removing the clutch is NOT required to replace the internal slave cylinder/throw out bearing. My buddy and I did mine in about 3 hours start to finish in my driveway. We're both mechanics, and have a tranny jack. It's easily doable on a Saturday with a couple of buds.

Replacing the clutch while you're in there is a good idea though.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.