Hydraulic clutch hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hydraulic clutch hose

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Jeep Yj Fred
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hydraulic clutch hose

Im replacing my clutch master cylinder, and unlike the newer jeeps, the 88 is not available for purchase as a sealed complete system that comes pre-bled. The clutch master cylinder is seperate from the hydraulic line and slave. I am worried that when i loosen the fitting on the clutch master cylinder that im going to break the hydraulic line because it is rusted pretty good. The hydraulic line is not available at any of the local parts stores. Does anyone know of any chain stores or other places that might make or carry a hydraulic line if i bring them my broken one? The hydraulic line im referring to has a metal brake line for the flare at the fitting and turns into a hydraulic hose to bend around the trans tunnel and then back to a metal brake line for the fitting at the slave.

Unread 03-22-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can make your own. You can make it from hard brake line, or soft brake line, or have a length of hydraulic hose made by any hydraulic shop (yellow pages), just don't make it out of any soft hose that will expand from the pressure, even pressure fuel line won't work.

Here's an example of an installation I did about 2 years ago, the cylinder is different from yours, it's a double acting cylinder and the front hose is only used as a vent. The rear hose is connected to the master cylinder - it all works great

Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
BIGHEEP
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Yj Fred View Post
Im replacing my clutch master cylinder, and unlike the newer jeeps, the 88 is not available for purchase as a sealed complete system that comes pre-bled. The clutch master cylinder is seperate from the hydraulic line and slave. I am worried that when i loosen the fitting on the clutch master cylinder that im going to break the hydraulic line because it is rusted pretty good. The hydraulic line is not available at any of the local parts stores. Does anyone know of any chain stores or other places that might make or carry a hydraulic line if i bring them my broken one? The hydraulic line im referring to has a metal brake line for the flare at the fitting and turns into a hydraulic hose to bend around the trans tunnel and then back to a metal brake line for the fitting at the slave.
I had to replace the line when I did my slave cylinder. If you break it they can be purchased online (4WD.com or Quadretac) or from the dealer ($160 bucks, ask me how I know). One important thing to know when removing it is that the nut on the slave end of the hose is fixed to the metal line. It does not spin, the nut coming off the slave cylinder spins only. Get some good flare nut wrenches and good luck!
Build thread http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/m...igheep-534340/
North East Willy Jeep Organization
www.NEWJO.ORG
BIGHEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #4
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

You can get one here; $59.38 +$8 Shipping P/N 53004345
http://www.wyckoffchryslerparts.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Yj Fred View Post
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:35 PM   #5
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

My buddy got one at the local Napa, somewhere in the $60 - $80 range.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #6
minimudder
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfons View Post
You can make your own. You can make it from hard brake line, or soft brake line, or have a length of hydraulic hose made by any hydraulic shop (yellow pages), just don't make it out of any soft hose that will expand from the pressure, even pressure fuel line won't work.

Here's an example of an installation I did about 2 years ago, the cylinder is different from yours, it's a double acting cylinder and the front hose is only used as a vent. The rear hose is connected to the master cylinder - it all works great

I don't know if ive ever seen a jeep so clean underneath..... its almost a shame!
minimudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2008, 06:06 AM   #7
Alfons
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by minimudder View Post
I don't know if ive ever seen a jeep so clean underneath..... its almost a shame!
That was a complete rebuild - I don't like working in grunge, the whole thing looked like that.
Alfons is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.