Hurricane Sandy Damage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hurricane Sandy Damage

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 04-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #1
pschardien
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Hurricane Sandy Damage

We got hammered by Hurricane Sandy last fall. I changed the oil & filter removing about 2 gallons of water from the oil. I suspect I have water in the Automatic Transmission too. I read about changing the fluid by dropping the pan & changing the filter. I also read to pull the lines off the radiator to flush the torque converter. I don't think the water went down the carburetor but I'm not 100% sure. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Transfer case, front & rear differentials? Its been sitting since the storm;I did not try to start it after the storm (battery was dead anyhow). Because of the cold all I've done so far is drain & replace the oil & filter as well as hosed off the entire vehicle with clean water both inside & out. Any recommendations??

pschardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #2
EABiker
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Besides changing the fluids, it would be a good idea to disconnect, clean then re-connect the wiring harness connections. Hard to say if water could get into the converter, but if you find it in the rest of the trans, or in the engine I would assume so.
EABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pschardien View Post
We got hammered by Hurricane Sandy last fall. I changed the oil & filter removing about 2 gallons of water from the oil. I suspect I have water in the Automatic Transmission too. I read about changing the fluid by dropping the pan & changing the filter. I also read to pull the lines off the radiator to flush the torque converter. I don't think the water went down the carburetor but I'm not 100% sure. Is there anything else I should be looking at? Transfer case, front & rear differentials? Its been sitting since the storm;I did not try to start it after the storm (battery was dead anyhow). Because of the cold all I've done so far is drain & replace the oil & filter as well as hosed off the entire vehicle with clean water both inside & out. Any recommendations??
DO NOT turn that engine over until you pull all the spark plugs!

If your girl is throwing gang signs with her toes you're hitting the spot.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.