humming sound....help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > humming sound....help!

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-06-2011, 10:28 PM   #1
Phil6mac
2008 JK Wrangler 

humming sound....help!

The jeep is making a constant humming sound behind the driver side rear tire. Its like a constant "HMMMMMMMMMMMM". Any thoughts? Could this be my fuel pump or something else with the fuel system? Its definitely louder on the rear driver side corner than the passenger side. Help!

Phil6mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do you only hear it when moving? or when the engine is running? If when the engine is running its the fuel pump. This is normal if the tank is low on fuel as the pump its self is no longer submerged, even though the pump pickup is. If the tank is full, then its the pump making noise. I have had a pump make noise like that for years with never a problem. But I have had pumps fail within days of making noise. Some pumps dont make any noise when they fail....
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2011, 08:54 PM   #3
Phil6mac
2008 JK Wrangler 

I can hear the sound while driving and while parked with the engine still running. I'm on the lower side of the tank for sure (probably 5 or 6 gallons left). I have noticed the sound for maybe a month or so now...I think I've noticed it because I just put my soft top back on so its a bit quieter in the cab now (quietness is relative). No other issues though....

Should I fill the tank all the way and see if I notice the sound still? Appreciate the feedback!
Phil6mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah fill it and see, just remember if its your pump and you fill it and it craps out, you now have a full tank to deal with when you replace your pump.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.