Humming sound in 4 high - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Humming sound in 4 high

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 12-17-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Humming sound in 4 high

We got our first real snowfall yesterday and I was deiving about 45mph in 4 hi when I noticed a slight humming noise in the front. When I shift back into 2 wd it goes away. Just wondering if this is normal or if I need to check the fluid levels and all that jazz. Any opinions would help.

Soldierfoley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Cmon guys 33 people have read this and no one can say if their front end has a slight hum in 4 high? Help out a noob! I'll buy you a beer
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:07 AM   #3
YelloJeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am by no means an expert but this morning (snow) my Tacoma has a bit of a hum also. Haven't used the fwd Hi in my Jeep really. Only 4lo in the woods behind my house...
My guess is that it is normal. I could be wrong though. Just figured that if noone else was helping you out....
YelloJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:33 AM   #4
grandboost98
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you probably need to get the front driveshaft balanced
98 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP - too many mods to list::SOLD::
grandboost98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 07:40 AM   #5
Mudmouse990
1990 YJ Wrangler 

you should be fine fwd isnt really made for high speeds its ok on snow because it will slip but dry pavement is a no no haha i figured you knew that
[B]90 yj 2.5l or pure power,thrush turbo, gutted cat, RC 4in lift,1" boom shackles, 33" BFG A/T's, outlaw alum rims,Rhino lined interior,overhead lights,connex 3300 cb, Homemade disco's, no rear trackbar
future mods- diamond plate rocker gaurds, fold down bus steps,home made front and rear bumpers , tube fenders, paint my doors red,possibly a winch, 302 ford or a 350 chevy, ford 8.8, cv style shaft and much more [/B]
[COLOR="Red"][SIZE="5"]
Check out my build thread[/SIZE][/COLOR] [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/90yj-getting-there-1155268/[/url]
[COLOR="Yellow"]My Home made Quick Disconnects Write up [/COLOR][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/"]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/home-made-quick-disconnects-write-up-pics-1182040/[/URL]
Mudmouse990 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 08:15 AM   #6
WRMJeep
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Clearly you are concerned about the sound. First thing I would do is check the front axle fluid level along with take a look at the front driveshaft. You may have the semi common issue of the front drive shaft rubbing against your exhaust downpipe / headpipe.

On mine the sound is more like a rusty grinding sound than a hum. But maybe once you get fast enough turns into a hum.
WRMJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:31 AM   #7
Soldierfoley
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys. @WRMjeep I don't hear any rusty sound, just a slight hum. Sounds a little like the blower motor but is coming from the front axle.
Unread 01-10-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldierfoley View Post
We got our first real snowfall yesterday and I was deiving about 45mph in 4 hi when I noticed a slight humming noise in the front. When I shift back into 2 wd it goes away. Just wondering if this is normal or if I need to check the fluid levels and all that jazz. Any opinions would help.

I normally do not comment when someone states something that just makes me shake my head. But in this case I will break my silence.

" or if I need to check the fluid and all that jazz."

My opinion would be to go ahead and check the fluid.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #9
jeepyj13
1993 YJ Wrangler 

we got snow down in MS yesterday and i drove my yj in 4hi it had slight hum when i got to 45mph but i assume thats normal as long as the wheels are slipping cause the tcase is open with no center differential like awds. if your on dry pavement switch back to 2wd cause that can put wear on drivetrain and soon damage tcase. idk i could be wrong about the normal of humming but the rest is true for the tcase.
jeepyj13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.