Hummer intake for YJ-- write-up with many pics - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hummer intake for YJ-- write-up with many pics

New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-06-2009, 01:01 AM   #31
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSA96 View Post
One particular section contains a pair of trees that lean in towards ea other at the top of a nasty hill. You have to gain momentum to get up the hill and as you pass between the trees you get slammed to the side and slide through on your roll bar. If you have your windshield up it takes the majority of the abuse.
Holy hell, count me out. If it's that big of a deal you can always take the windshield off, or take off the precleaner and the hose from the firewall to the air box and fold down the windshield as usual

Quote:
Man I love what you have done here. I noticed you mentioning that 2 1/2" would have been easier. That is probably what I will go with. Any reasons why you didn't other then it sounding like 3" parts was what you had around.
I went with 3" because the precleaner I liked was a 3" output. I couldn't find a 2-1/2" model within the CFM range for this engine.

Quote:
This would be my first major mod and I have only had my 95 yj for about a month. How do you get past doing that first cut hoping that your not going to screw something up royally??
In order to not be afraid, you have to quantify the worst case scenario, and have a solution ready in your mind for that disaster. Have a Plan B. Here, the worst case scenario is making a mess of the cowl. A good Plan B would be fabbing some kind of patch to both support the snorkel elbow and conceal the damage. That's not so bad, is it? Great, now start cutting!

Unread 04-06-2009, 10:20 AM   #32
Poobah
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSA96 View Post
One particular section contains a pair of trees that lean in towards ea other at the top of a nasty hill. You have to gain momentum to get up the hill and as you pass between the trees you get slammed to the side and slide through on your roll bar. If you have your windshield up it takes the majority of the abuse.
I would think that is a good reason to carry a chainsaw on your rig...plus it is good to have when the zombies come...

San Diego Thread . Green Jeep Club #99 . Tj Owners Club #299 . . Just Runs

"What, me a cynic? I trust you have proof!"

Wheelers for the Wounded
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #33
tx_medic
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I was looking at the top-spin precleaners and I'm wondering about the required CFM for the 4-cyl YJ? Does anyone know the minimum/maximum and optiamls?
tx_medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-03-2009, 10:10 AM   #34
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

I know it's a little late, but anyway,
here's how to go about figuring the CFM requirements of the engine.
(cubic inches x max rpm) / 3456 = cfm

so, a YJ 4 cylinder is 2.5L, multiply that by 61 to get the cubic inches, 2.5 x 61 = 152.5ci

I don't know the max rpm for the 2.5, so I"m just going to use 4k for this example.

152.5ci x 4000 = 610000

610000 / 3456 = 176.5 cfm

so, a 2.5L YJ four cylinder requires 176.5 cfm of air to run at 4ooo rpm.

NOTE: This formula figures the cfm at a 100% volumetric efficiency; therefore, the actual cfm requirement to run the engine will be slightly less.
Unread 03-19-2010, 09:57 PM   #35
Nates93yj

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do you Notice any intake sound in the cab, if so how bad?
1993 Jeep Wrangler Nates93yj BuildSOLD
Nates93yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #36
BrockGrimes

Updates?
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #37
Bravo1782
1994 YJ Wrangler 

This mod is pretty sick, but here's my concern...so you drop that fuse box a couple of inches...does it put it in the way of boot mud\being stepping on, etc? Is it still safe where it gets moved to?
Bravo1782 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.