Hummer intake for YJ-- write-up with many pics - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hummer intake for YJ-- write-up with many pics

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #16
instg8tor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I swear your air box looks farther forward than mine. Would you mind taking a measurement from the firewall to the back edge of the air box. I'd like to do something similar but I just cant see how I could make it fit with my current m\c and brake booster.

Unread 10-06-2008, 03:22 PM   #17
Douglas S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by instg8tor View Post
I swear your air box looks farther forward than mine. Would you mind taking a measurement from the firewall to the back edge of the air box. I'd like to do something similar but I just cant see how I could make it fit with my current m\c and brake booster.
reread the write-up, your answer is in there

to the OP, i have also been trying to think of a way to do this since i saw the write up for a TJ, but I too looked only on the passenger side. Your write-up has made this a must-do modification for me.
Unread 10-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #18
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
reread the write-up, your answer is in there

to the OP, i have also been trying to think of a way to do this since i saw the write up for a TJ, but I too looked only on the passenger side. Your write-up has made this a must-do modification for me.
Thanks, bud. You could do it on the passenger side if you didn't mind sacrificing the heater and defroster. That was a no-go for me. I though on the drivers side I might have to sacrifice the windshield washer bottle to make it all fit, but it turns out I could have it all. I even got to keep my cheesey Harbor Freight train horn.

One thing I left out of the original write up was that I had to move the power steering reservoir three inches inboard and mount it on the fan shroud.
Unread 10-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #19
instg8tor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

ah, I see it now - good stuff
Unread 10-06-2008, 08:47 PM   #20
JeepsOLot
1992 YJ Wrangler 

As far as folding down the windshield is concerned, could one use a shorter pre-cleaner intake, or, with the windshield down, would it choke it, even if it was lower? Thanks,

Jerry
Unread 10-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #21
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsOLot View Post
As far as folding down the windshield is concerned, could one use a shorter pre-cleaner intake, or, with the windshield down, would it choke it, even if it was lower? Thanks,

Jerry
I don't think a shorter tube would really be practical. Mine only sticks up about a half inch on the short side. I think if it was any shorter the pre-cleaner wouldn't attach securely.

I think it would choke it with the windshield down even if it was flush. If you wanted to drop the windshield you could just take off the pre-cleaner and the hose from the firewall to the air box. The intake would be just about back to stock.
Unread 10-09-2008, 04:01 PM   #22
tominox

Have you noticed any power gain or change in fuel consumption since this mod?
tominox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #23
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tominox View Post
Have you noticed any power gain or change in fuel consumption since this mod?
I haven't driven it far enough to notice a difference in gas mileage. It does seem to have a bit more power, but that could just be in my head because I'm pleased with it. It seems to run better when it's clean, too.
Unread 10-09-2008, 09:26 PM   #24
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've been wanting to do this mod for a while, I could never figure out how to make it work on the passenger side though. I guess I never really considered the driver side, I may have to do this.
Unread 10-09-2008, 11:41 PM   #25
Jkanly

I think the hummer style intake hoods are meant to be a bit higher. A good pile of mud under or around the hood cap would clog it up a bit.

Why don't you just leave the intake under the dash rather than cut a hole in the tub?
l---L 0lllllll0-

()_)-()_)--o-)_)
Jkanly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2008, 12:20 AM   #26
swedishdwarf
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkanly View Post
I think the hummer style intake hoods are meant to be a bit higher. A good pile of mud under or around the hood cap would clog it up a bit.

Why don't you just leave the intake under the dash rather than cut a hole in the tub?
Good question. I don't plan to use it for water crossings, although it certainly would lend itself well to that. Now the intake is on the centerline instead of at the front bumper, so if you did get in deep water you'd almost have to be trying to hydrolock. Also, if you thought there was a deep mud hole in your future you could put on a big ugly extension to bring the intake up over the windshield, like the original humvee snorkel.

I live in the desert, so this setup is primarily just to incorporate a precleaner into my intake. The Top Spin is like a little pneumatic centrifuge. The air gets sucked in and swirls around in a circle before going down the pipe. This forces a large percentage of the impurities, like the ubiquitous local dust, to fly to the outside edge of the canister and be expelled through the ejection port.

As far as having the intake in the cab, the whooshing noise would drive me insane. I like being able to hear the radio.
Unread 01-01-2009, 09:50 AM   #27
HanksRide
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=swedishdwarf;5801500]It looks like the easiest and cleanest possible way to do a hummer style intake on a YJ is going to be on the driver's side. I can live with that.

We're going to reuse the stock air box with a few modifications. First we need to seal it up, so pull out the air box and drill out the rivets that hold the little rectangular plastic plate on the side.

Man I love what you have done here. I noticed you mentioning that 2 1/2" would have been easier. That is probably what I will go with. Any reasons why you didn't other then it sounding like 3" parts was what you had around.

This would be my first major mod and I have only had my 95 yj for about a month. How do you get past doing that first cut hoping that your not going to screw something up royally??

I went through a stream of water a couple of days ago that almost got my stock system.... I know, I know - it has to be done !!!

Thanks again, great write-up!!!
3500 Mile Road Trip With Daughter
Daughters 04 TJ Build Thread
My-95-YJ Build Thread
HanksRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 12:03 AM   #28
ITSA96
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
I dont know to many people that do this. The trails i ride on, you would get knocked the **** out or cut up from the limbs and bushes if you rode with the window down. Also, most folks dont have a true A pillar on their cage and that window frame is in fact part of the cage system. I get beat up enough anyway with just the doors off.
I can think of at least one trail around here where you will destroy your window frame or not make it through if you don't put it down.
ITSA96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 12:13 AM   #29
sprowley
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSA96 View Post
I can think of at least one trail around here where you will destroy your window frame or not make it through if you don't put it down.
If its a huge object that won't make it over the windshield, how does it clear the rollbar, since that is taller than the windshield?

97 TJ Sport black on black with MT/R Kevlars and lots of new parts coming!

Canon EOS-1D Mark III, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM, Canon EF 17-35/2.8L USM, Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX USM

My Fuelly page (fuel economy and usage tracking)
sprowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2009, 12:24 AM   #30
ITSA96
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprowley View Post
If its a huge object that won't make it over the windshield, how does it clear the rollbar, since that is taller than the windshield?
One particular section contains a pair of trees that lean in towards ea other at the top of a nasty hill. You have to gain momentum to get up the hill and as you pass between the trees you get slammed to the side and slide through on your roll bar. If you have your windshield up it takes the majority of the abuse.
ITSA96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.