Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hummer intake YJ style

26K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  NHfireLJ 
#1 ·

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Oh yeah. I'm planning on lowering the cap anothe 1.5-2 " EDIT: already done in first pic.

Parts list..

Finding a Hummer H1 cap is hard and expensive..Over $80.
i used a M35 Cap for $22. http://www.tnjmurray.com/m35.cfm

(2) 3" dia x 30" flex intake tubes from auto zone

1 intake tube flange from autozone,

3.5" hose clamps...

4" plumbing flange (crapper flange):2thumbsup:

stainless 1/4 x 2 screws and T- nuts from Lowes

Tools

4" hole saw
3" hole saw
screwdriver
sealant/ RTV

#4 ·
The cowl hole location is sort of random. I looked at the original thread and then picked a spot...drill and got lucky!!! There is alot of space!!!

Then thru the firewall.

I didn't like the idea of lowering my fuse box, so Once you remove the computer (temporarily out of the way) There is a crap load of space below it and behind the washer fluid reservoir...

I lowere the washer tank about 2-3 inches, by relocating the bracket. Make sure you don't go too far and kink the fluid hose to the wipers. The coolant tank can stay where it is...

I then drilled my 3" hole thru the firewall from the eng compartment side. This will be just below the fuse panel...It sucked drilling

#5 ·
The flange...

The M35 hood fits perfectly on a 4" plumbing flange...

These are not my pics, but did the same idea. I cut 2 sides off my flange,

Instead of using anchor nuts on top of the cowl, I used a heat gun softened the flange and banged in some "T" nuts. Because the YJ cowl doesn't come out, you need either a buddy to hold the nuts or someway to keep the nuts inplace, this way I could just run the screws down thru the cowl....

BTW, insert the flange upside down on the cowl to mark your holes for the screws...Make sure it is level and get the measurement for the spacers seen below...5/8" on mine

Attachments

#6 ·
Once the flange is mounted and sealed with RTV, Run one length of intake tubing up into the flange, and secure with small screws that are counter sunk into the plastic (that way the cap can slide down over them)

I ran another bead of RTV around the tube/flange joint..

Then run the tubing thru the firewall.

This stuff is expandable from 10" to 30" accordian style....Because you are running under and infront of the fuse box, leave plenty of extra tub inside the cab so you can get to your fuses. (this is the drawback to my install).

the tube can be compressed (shortened) when in use, and extended out of the way to reach fuses...

There should be about 8" or so coming thru the firewall into the eng compartment...

Seal the tube /firewall junction...More RTV...

#7 ·

Attachments

#8 ·
On the above picture, The flange running into the side of the airbox is angle UP by 1/2 -3/4 inch with spacers on the bottom, bacause the tube exits into the fender well.

I also used a BFH and gave the fender well a love tap down, to make more room...

After the airbox is reinstalled, connect the 2 lengths of intake tubing together...

Attachments

#9 ·
Then Remount the computer...you can either run it along the firewall to the otherside if you have enough wire, or hang it from the grill support as I did...

Done....

I know, not alot of pics..I get going and forget, but most of the needed pics are in the other threads...

If you need a specific pic, let me know...

Good luck...

BTW, the second pic is before I cut the mushroom down to a lower height. Ist pic in the thread is the finished product

Attachments

#17 ·
The weight of the high lift is minimal on opening th hood as its right by the hinge and you have the whole hood as a lever arm....

At standard opening, where the hood support rod, gets tuck into the hood, the hi lift just touches the cap....I'm going to drop the cap about 2" = no more issues.

The cap is held on with 3 screws and can be easliy removed if need to invert the hood to the windshield frame...

#31 ·
Now that's a wicked cool intake! I'd love to do this to my jeep! question for you tho:

Do you think the windshield will still fold?

Nice Jeep!! :cheers2:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.