hummer cold air intake on a YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hummer cold air intake on a YJ?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-25-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

hummer cold air intake on a YJ?

after reading this writeup, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/write-up-hummer-cold-air-intake-326040/
I want to do something similar, but I've got a YJ, which means that I don't have a removable cowl, and will probably have to route the tube differently(most likely through the firewall, and up behind the dash).

so, has anyone done/seen the hummer style cold air intake on a YJ?

thanks,
muddy

muddy93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-25-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

ya I saw that post too and was very interested in this but never found anything for the YJ
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:32 PM   #3
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

i am going to do this--and I am going to make it work. I will take pics. I am currently painting the hummer intake...

So, question--how much can I cut into the firewall? This may sound really stupid, but what if i made a quick-access hatch behind the battery? like, a hatch that literally has hinges and a latch of some sort? is that a bad idea? or just plain stupid?

i'm going to route a 3 inch tube from the front of the airbox, properly sealed to waterproof, around to the outside of the airbox (relocate horn) along the back of engine bay (firewall, zip tied) and punched through the firewall to the immediate right of the battery. I have to drill a 4 inch hole for the hummer intake, so i will actually be able to fit my hand in to fish the tubing through the cowling.

The biggest problem in my opinion will be making sure the intake is secure against branches, etc. i need to fashion some sort of collar that both conforms to the hood curvature (at least a little bit, i can use rubber shims and seal pads to even it out) and can properly retain the intake head. The intake head is a big piece of equipment--someone grabbing it hard or a branch smacking it with some leverage could be a problem if it is not strongly secured with a collar mounted to the body. On the TJ, this guy: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/w...intake-326040/ used a plumbing flange with 3 inch adapter, I could do the same if I could get it to bend and curve. (doubtful?) Also, it would be on the outside of the jeep body, not interior since I do not have access to the cowling...If anyone has any ideas on how I could accomplish this please let me know--in the meantime I'll be searching the net and fabricating some stuff in the shop.

Additionally, anyone know off the top of their head if they make 4inch to 3 inch tube adapters? I mean I'm sure they do...

EDIT* Or wait, on the guy above's write up--he uses spacers to level the flange--would spacers on TOP of the hood look awful? Could i feasibly tear into the firewall to install a flange from below? Would be a lot of carnage... No, shouldn't do that. Tap brakes.

If the curve isn't terrible, rubber spacers could work...
goAF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:43 PM   #4
NHfireLJ
Jeeper Creeper

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Dude,,,,Ritalin

BTW, read this if you haven't...

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...y-pics-615089/

YJ,, go driver side...
LUCY...2005 LJ Rubicon Sahara #495

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5" lift, on 35"s D30 Aussie, 8.8 w/ LSD.

Hummer Intake
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...style-1257285/
NHfireLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-12-2011, 08:19 PM   #5
goAF
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Ritalin for sure. Haha.

I like that write up, but he relocated a LOT of stuff, and he didnt solve the problem of making sure the air intake was sturdy and secure. I'm doing passenger side.
goAF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.