HUGE problem with '87 4.2L - Ignition Switch Power Issues (No power on key turn) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HUGE problem with '87 4.2L - Ignition Switch Power Issues (No power on key turn)

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #1
jesseleikerjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

HUGE problem with '87 4.2L - Ignition Switch Power Issues (No power on key turn)

I need any Big help REAL fast that any one would be kind enough to offer...

My friend came over in his '87 YJ with a 4.2L engine (with a mess of electrical molestation inside of it, by the way) needing his Heater Core replaced. We went through the whole process...got the heater core put in and got a Chevy Blazer blower motor upgrade taken care of...put everything back together. No problems (and a record time, by the way) until now.

Upon plugging everything back in - we turned the key onto Accessory, fog lamps kicked on, radio lit up, but no fan on the new blower motor running. Weird: but not the end of the world. He turned the key back to "off." I was about to see what was going on with connections, when he turned the key back to Accessory to try again. Upon doing so we noticed that unlike a few seconds ago: nothing is recieving power.

Checked everything I could...all fuses, all connections, all wires, etc. etc. etc. Although the PO wired this thing RIDICULOUS (it is a mess and doesn't make any sense, but has worked until now) it seemed everything was "in place." With that said, here are the symptoms:

The dome light, head lights, brake lights, and Warning signals work at full-throttle with the key off, as it should.

Upon turning the key to Accessory: the Fuel pump, radio, turn signals, and any other power-related kick that you normally get does not kick like it shoud...at all.

Upon turning the key past Acc to Run, (obviously) the engine does not turn...the starter isn't receiving power, etc. etc. etc.

I immediately assumed it was the Ignition Switch, so we went and picked one up for $14. at Advanced Auto Parts...put that in (which was RIDICULOUS), but that isn't the problem. Didn't change a thing.

Any ideas here? I feel like the problem HAS to be between the key/ignition/wiring to battery, or who knows what. It acts as though you aren't turning the key, however, the key turns, the rod adjusts the "switch" in the Ignition switch module, the module is brand new. Is it a power connection from the ignition switch to the battery or...I don't know...that's why I'm on here.

He's coming back over in the morning to take it to the shop to see what's going on...if I can avoid him having to take this to the shop before about 9am tomorrow...I would owe you BIG TIME! Thank you so much.

jesseleikerjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
sentinal02
H2 Recovery Team Member

1992 YJ Wrangler 

the 87 uses fusible links off the starter relay terminal on the firewall near the battery to power the higher amp draws like the ign switch. my guess is you burned one of them for some reason. get out the meter and start testing them one by one till you find the one that's bad.

92 YJ 4.0L Ax-15 231
5" springs, 1" shackle 31's or 35's depending on my mood
sentinal02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #3
Mark05059
1989 YJ Wrangler 

that or you got a ground problem somewhere near where you worked on the heater stuff.. pinched wire.. screwed through a wire.. something odd...

1989 Wrangler Black Bone Stock 2.5l 5spd
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Mark05059 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
jesseleikerjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, the ground was my first guess. I checked every possible ground I could think of, particularly in range of the heater stuff and nothing seems to be amiss. I didn't screw through anything, i'm positive of that. The strangest part was: everything worked as soon as we were done...than a few seconds later it didn't. The owner of the Jeep actually mentioned he had an '87 before this one that had a fusible link burn out and he had to have it replaced...I was going to study on that a bit before I asked any questions about it...but since you are bringing it up, sounds like he may have been on to something!
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:54 PM   #5
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you have the battery cables off ? If you did make sure they are clean and tight .

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
jesseleikerjeep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Well, the '87 is running. We spent about 3 hours getting the heater core/blower motor in...and about 5 hours trying to figure out why it wouldn't fire up, including putting in the ignition switch, checking all the wiring to and from etc. Remember how I said we checked all the grounds and all the fuses twice (two of us, checking twice each...). Yeah, we missed one. Fusible link's have fuses built into the wire on this mess and guess what we found as soon as he got here this morning and we opened the hood:

lol. God dammit.

Thanks for your help guys. By mechanic's hourly wage that right there is about a $300.00 fuse. I have it framed in the garage now. What a mess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.