Which Hub Do I Use? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Which Hub Do I Use?

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 08-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Which Hub Do I Use?

I needed a new outer axle shaft for my 91 YJ, so I got a used one from Jeff Daniels (local Jeep shop), and he gave me the whole thing, inner and outer shaft, with the hub/bearing assembly. However, when I got the hub off of the shaft, I sat it next to my old hub and it's slightly taller. The back of it is shaped a little differently, but it seemed to fit fine in my knuckle. I know at some point they changed the bearing type because my Haynes manual says that "early models" (soooo descriptive) can have the bearings repacked, but the "later models" are sealed. I don't know much of the vehicle history, all I can tell you is its what I think is the stock d30. The driver's side bearing has been replaced recently. I'm going to take it out and compare, but for now, here's some pics.

Old one is on the right, new on the left, you can see the newer one has a recessed bearing in a way

Old on the right, new on the left, you can see the different height

nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

What shaft?
Did these come with the newer TJ shafts you were asking about in this tread?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/.../#post12012924
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
nathanninja
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nope they came with a YJ shaft, it was a tad different than my other one, but fit right up. I ended up using the bearing that came with the shaft because it was better than mine, and it fit right with the shaft. Just to clarify, the bearings aren't repackable are they?
nathanninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:43 PM   #4
Tom95YJ
[] Eye'd Jeep Connoisseur

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanninja View Post
Nope they came with a YJ shaft, it was a tad different than my other one, but fit right up. I ended up using the bearing that came with the shaft because it was better than mine, and it fit right with the shaft. Just to clarify, the bearings aren't repackable are they?
Newer YJ's had bigger U joints on the front axleshafts , I wouldn't be suprised if the hubs were bigger also !

The wheel bearing/hub assembly are not repack-able if it has play it needs to be replaced
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
laredojo
2002 WJ 

I did this last year. I hope this works better for you than it did for me. the problem started with the brake disk. the new hub plate is a larger diameter than the old one, so the rotor wouldnt fit over the hub. So I got the rotor that went with the hub. this rotor disk is also in a slightly different place, further out board, so my caliper wouldnt work . the brake shoe on the inside kept falling off the caliper... what a nightmare.......
hope yours is ok.
Unread 08-12-2011, 11:01 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Use the one that was already on your Jeep.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2011, 06:51 AM   #7
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I noticed a difference between 88 and 90 front axles when I swapped. Had to use the hubs, rotors and cal from swap axle and not my new ones might have something like that going on. I would use what fits your axle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.