Hp dana 30 vaccume acuator seal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hp dana 30 vaccume acuator seal?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 12-18-2014, 10:44 AM   #1
Bighaydn

Hp dana 30 vaccume acuator seal?

Hello, I'm leaking oil outta my axle on the passenger side right near the knuckle. It's gear oil and I've located it to the seal at my vaccume acuator. Anyone know what this seal is called? And the best way to replace it?

Bighaydn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 10:52 AM   #2
fishadventure
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Technically it is the "CAD" - center axle disconnect. Black rtv is what I have used though.
Unread 12-18-2014, 10:55 AM   #3
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like #21 http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-ax...rangler-yj.htm

Here is the first thread that came up in a search http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/d...ement-1108000/

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Bighaydn

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishadventure
Technically it is the "CAD" - center axle disconnect. Black rtv is what I have used though.
I don't think we are talkin about the same seal. The axle shaft goes through this seal
Unread 12-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

That seal is somewhat tricky to install. I have replaced that seal, but destroyed another one in the process. Buy two, and return the extra if you don't need it.

I used a long piece of 3/4" all thread with large washers to pull in the seal. Do some searching on the technique - there are several threads on it. It's a 2-man job. One at the CAD, and the other to turn the nut to pull the seal in. I just installed my seal flush with the tube end. I didn't try to seat it fully against the step in the tube. You'll need a perfectly sized washer or socket to fit into the tube, as the seal surface isn't very wide. Or others have ground down a washer for a perfect fit in the tube.

Also, you might want to replace the driver's side carrier seal at the same time. If one went bad, the other probably won't be far behind. You will have to remove the carrier to replace that seal.

I've since gone to a one-piece shaft, which moves the seal to the carrier. It's a great upgrade, and would be a good time for you to do it.

Again, there are a ton of threads on this topic, so do some research before starting.
Unread 12-18-2014, 03:21 PM   #6
Bighaydn

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanF
That seal is somewhat tricky to install. I have replaced that seal, but destroyed another one in the process. Buy two, and return the extra if you don't need it. I used a long piece of 3/4" all thread with large washers to pull in the seal. Do some searching on the technique - there are several threads on it. It's a 2-man job. One at the CAD, and the other to turn the nut to pull the seal in. I just installed my seal flush with the tube end. I didn't try to seat it fully against the step in the tube. You'll need a perfectly sized washer or socket to fit into the tube, as the seal surface isn't very wide. Or others have ground down a washer for a perfect fit in the tube. Also, you might want to replace the driver's side carrier seal at the same time. If one went bad, the other probably won't be far behind. You will have to remove the carrier to replace that seal. I've since gone to a one-piece shaft, which moves the seal to the carrier. It's a great upgrade, and would be a good time for you to do it. Again, there are a ton of threads on this topic, so do some research before starting.

I've have done research. Is this seal just called an axle shaft seal?
Unread 12-18-2014, 04:40 PM   #7
Partsmke
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighaydn View Post
Hello, I'm leaking oil outta my axle on the passenger side right near the knuckle. It's gear oil and I've located it to the seal at my vaccume acuator. Anyone know what this seal is called? And the best way to replace it?
If you want to beef up your 30 and stop the oil leaks and other vacuum operated issues. Buy a set of one piece axles from a wrecking yard or new. They have larger ujoints and seal much easier. It requires a new seal in the axle housing on the right hand side of the carrier, the axle are found in TJ's and many other Jeep vehicles that came original manufacture non-vacuum operated. Yes the axles turn all the time, not much of an issue, if you want strength and reliability.
Stock Spicer axle part numbers 75814-2X Right (passenger side) and 75814-1X Left (drivers side)
Partsmke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Bighaydn

I didn't my vaccume acuator awhile ago for a cable lock system and it seems to hold up nice, I think I'd swap it out with a 44 before I'd beef it up. Yeah it's a darn good little axle to and goes awesome with an 8.8 but I've been itching for full widths for awhile now
Unread 12-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yes, that is the axle shaft seal like other said It can be tricky to install
Unread 12-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
uhohthe50
1990 YJ Wrangler 

And if you went to a one piece Tj shaft you would most likely have to get your front ds balanced

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.