hp d30 steering stabilizer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hp d30 steering stabilizer

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-09-2008, 08:50 PM   #1
bigstinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

hp d30 steering stabilizer

So uh... I have a d30 that I picked up from a guy. I believe he said it came out of a cherokee and I'm pretty sure it is high pinion. I have not yet gone hi-steer steering. I do have wobble at 70 mph - I always figured it was a jeep thing but I don't know, maybe I have bad ball joints. I did just replace the unit bearing on the driver side. But to the point...

I don't have a steering stabilizer. The tie rod has a hole in the middle for a steering stabilizer. I was thinking about welding a bolt onto the axle to hold the other end of the steering stabilizer but that has got to be a lot of pressure at that point. I think I can burn it on there, but not for sure.

the only hole on the axle is for the trackbar.

Google showed me lots of TJ's with the steering stabilizer on the drag link but my drag link is a new one that I put on there and it was made for a YJ so no stabilizer bolt hole.

Any advice or pics would be very much appreciated.

Buy my unit bearings!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=533752
bigstinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
bigstinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

just a bump for a lil help
Buy my unit bearings!
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #3
bob082484
1995 YJ Wrangler 

A new steering stabilizer should come with a new bolt that presses in the tie rod. As far as the bolt for the other side, start cruisin junk yards or try the hardware store.
bob082484 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
northjeep
Jeep parking ONLY

1988 YJ Wrangler 

make a bracket that is held on with u-bolts for the axle end.
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #5
Mr.B
Wot's...uh The Deal?

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstinger
So uh... I have a d30 that I picked up from a guy. I believe he said it came out of a cherokee and I'm pretty sure it is high pinion. I have not yet gone hi-steer steering. I do have wobble at 70 mph - I always figured it was a jeep thing but I don't know, maybe I have bad ball joints. I did just replace the unit bearing on the driver side. But to the point...

I don't have a steering stabilizer. The tie rod has a hole in the middle for a steering stabilizer. I was thinking about welding a bolt onto the axle to hold the other end of the steering stabilizer but that has got to be a lot of pressure at that point. I think I can burn it on there, but not for sure.

the only hole on the axle is for the trackbar.

Google showed me lots of TJ's with the steering stabilizer on the drag link but my drag link is a new one that I put on there and it was made for a YJ so no stabilizer bolt hole.

Any advice or pics would be very much appreciated.

Someone's got to ask. You can get up to 70 MPH? I wouldn't know if I had a wobble at 70 MPH, I've never been there. Also it would be helpful if you filled out your Jeep profile.
White '94 YJ 2.5L 5 speed, 35" BFGs KM2's, 5" lift, Mark VII 2 speed fan, Milemarker PE8000, Front Aussie Locker, Power steering conversion, '98 Cavalier seats, MORE Boomerangs in front, 136 amp ZJ alternator, JB conversions SYE, Tom Woods custom drive shaft, 8.8 with ARB, 4.88 gear ratio, Teralow

My Jeep

'89 XJ Laredo Bone Stock

Member:The Wrecking Crew

Ham license:
KB6(tooeasytosearch)

Everyone is Welcome
www.rubiconramblers.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Sanderson
You have no respect for excessive authority or obsolete traditions. You're dangerous and depraved, and you ought to be taken outside and shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew
I may have proven that I am in fact an idiot, by all of your standards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritjobbie View Post
Mr.B's post gets you as close to Buddha as you can get on JF...
Mr.B is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #6
crb577
1993 YJ Wrangler 

my trailmaster SSV stabilizer that I bought about 2 weeks ago came with a new bolt for that exact hole you are talking about no need to weld one
D30 w/yukon alloys, lock right, jb4x4 bracket, Rusty's HD tie rod 8.8w/ LSD,SOA xj rear 100" wheelbase, homemade greasable boomerang shackles, SS braided lines, 1" prothane body lift, 35" TrXus M/T, smitty built XRC.
lots of gen right armor and rear stinger.
crb577 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 03:51 PM   #7
Michael_94YJ
1994 YJ Wrangler 

under the track bar bracket (or either the passenger side spring perch) should be a threaded hole for the other side of your steering stabalizer. I have a factory steering stabalizer i'll sell ya for $12 shipped if you want it. Nothing wrong with it. But to be honsest, a lack of steering stabalizer shouldn't be a problem. I'm inclined to say that you have caster, TRE, or some other type of problem that attributes to your wobble. I have no issue cruising 70mph in my jeep and i'm spring over. In fact, my jeep drives 10 times better now, than it ever has. If you want the ss then let me know.
-Michael
flowmaster,15x12 wheels & 35x15 TSLs, sway bar discos, 3.5" leaves SOA + shackles, 2" body lift, JB steering bracket, SYE, M.O.R.E. anti-wrap bar, Bilsteins 5125s up front & BDS Hydros out back, axles in the works
http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...y/Image075.jpg
Michael_94YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2008, 08:53 PM   #8
bigstinger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Lots of thanks for the offer of the SS. I happen to have one. I have the bolt that goes into the tie rod as well. I just don't have a threaded hold for the other side of the steering stabilizer. so I can bolt it to the tie rod but don't have anything to bolt it to on the other side.

Yep, I can do well over 80. Not a great idea but you do what you have to do on I95 between here and Northern VA.

The wobble only happens between 70 & 75. If I take it up to 80 then no wobble.

Caster is definitely off. The knuckles were not rotated to compensate. The steering wheel doesn't want to readily return to straight after turning. But would that matter from 70 to 75 and not more?

I have actually put my head out the window.... don't ask... at that speed and saw the front wheels bouncing...don't try this at home kids, stay in school, don't do drugs.

My jeep does drive better after going SOA, new shocks, etc.

Not sure how to diagnose a bad TRE....Any tips on that?

I don't know for sure but the balljoints look good...
Buy my unit bearings!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.