Howell tbi question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Howell tbi question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 03-31-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Trout54
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Howell tbi question

Hey everyone

First and foremost I want to introduce myself as the new guy... and I have recently purchased my second YJ in my life and being a little further along in life, I can actually afford to do things I want to it... (Not a high school rig this time)

I recently bought a 1987 4.2l with Howell injection...it's really clean and I like some of the mods the po has done...2.5" lift, 31s, revolving shackles, etc

I have been reading on this forum everyday for a couple weeks now and have already changed the TC to the 231 amc, put new motor mounts in, did a proper fluid change, installed new audio components and the list is just beginning all from info and write ups here. The members on this site deserve a huge thank you from me for the awesome info I have found out and learned already...I have reignited a internal love for jeeps and excited about being part of the community again...so thanks already and in advance.

Now to my first general question...the Howell tbi kit installed on my 87 is awesome so far runs good...however the previous owner had it from his dad who did the install and the tach doesn't read the rpm at all and I was told it's a tach filter problem...I have no experience with this system and I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and what can be the possible solutions?

Thanks again

Trout54 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:06 PM   #2
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout54 View Post
Hey everyone

First and foremost I want to introduce myself as the new guy... and I have recently purchased my second YJ in my life and being a little further along in life, I can actually afford to do things I want to it... (Not a high school rig this time)

I recently bought a 1987 4.2l with Howell injection...it's really clean and I like some of the mods the po has done...2.5" lift, 31s, revolving shackles, etc

I have been reading on this forum everyday for a couple weeks now and have already changed the TC to the 231 amc, put new motor mounts in, did a proper fluid change, installed new audio components and the list is just beginning all from info and write ups here. The members on this site deserve a huge thank you from me for the awesome info I have found out and learned already...I have reignited a internal love for jeeps and excited about being part of the community again...so thanks already and in advance.

Now to my first general question...the Howell tbi kit installed on my 87 is awesome so far runs good...however the previous owner had it from his dad who did the install and the tach doesn't read the rpm at all and I was told it's a tach filter problem...I have no experience with this system and I am wondering if anyone has had this problem and what can be the possible solutions?

Thanks again
Tach reads off positive ignition coil. You can trace the wire from the firewall bulkhead connector to see where it's going or run a new wire to that firewall spot.
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM   #3
Trout54
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I pulled the tach out and it has the stock plug harness with four wires...which one needs to be connected to the +ign coil?
Unread 03-31-2014, 09:56 PM   #4
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Do you have a white plastic horseshoe-shaped clip that slides over the coil?

Going on a hunch that the coil was upgraded...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using JeepForum
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #5
89yjparrothead
1989 YJ Wrangler 

There is a filter that you might need to get. Call Howell and they will get you taken care of.
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM   #6
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ4LIFE View Post
Tach reads off positive ignition coil. You can trace the wire from the firewall bulkhead connector to see where it's going or run a new wire to that firewall spot.
Actually, no. The tach reads the negative coil wire. Here, from the Howell install instructions

AFTERMARKET IGNITION SYSTEMS: If you are running an aftermarket ignition system (MSD, Mallory, Jacobs, etc.), you might not have a coil signal that will trigger our built-in tach filter. If your engine will not start, and you have one of these systems, contact Howell Engine Developments at Ph 810-765-5100 for
assistance.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #7
YJ4LIFE
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniebikes View Post
Actually, no. The tach reads the negative coil wire. Here, from the Howell install instructions

AFTERMARKET IGNITION SYSTEMS: If you are running an aftermarket ignition system (MSD, Mallory, Jacobs, etc.), you might not have a coil signal that will trigger our built-in tach filter. If your engine will not start, and you have one of these systems, contact Howell Engine Developments at Ph 810-765-5100 for
assistance.
Actually YES I did efi a few months ago. The '89 tach runs off coil positive like cj7's
Unread 04-02-2014, 01:27 PM   #8
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well, not meaning to get into any type of argument but look at the FSM engine wiring diagram. I have the 88 here, it shows a yellow (+) coming from the starter relay (connected to the ignition switch also) to the positive side of the coil. Off the other side (-) of the coil is a green wire connected to the tach and the ignition module. Also, Bill USN-1 over at Binder tech says connect the tach to the negative side of the coil, and it shows that way on his TBI wiring diagram. Maybe it works either way, but all the literature I have shows the negative terminal. Maybe 89 is different?
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #9
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

FWIW, the Howell instructions indicate:

Quote:
Connect the labeled white wire to the ignition coil negative terminal to pick up a tach signal. NOTE: Multiple spark discharge ignitions require a special Tach filter to function correctly. Contact Howell if you need one.
Here's a link to the Howell TBI installation manual PDF

I have a 1990 4.2 engine, w/Howell TBI. The tach pickup wire is hooked up to the negative terminal on the factory style coil.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Trout54
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the info everyone ...I did some parts investigating under my hood and the Previous owner installed the tfi ignition kit by CRT...I will be calling Howell this week to see if they have a filter for this type of coil

http://www.crtperformance.com/html/tfi.html

Does anyone have any good or bad opinions on this mod?
Unread 04-03-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What you have is also known as the Team Rush mod. Basically does away with the crappy stock dizzy cap/rotor for bigger Ford style. Runs smoother, less crossfire/misfire, stronger spark.

I have the stock style MSD Blaster 2F coil, instead of the TFI style coil. The mod as a whole made a difference even with the Carter BBD. Helped unlock the higher rpms, smoother idle, basically unleashed the 4.2L. Even better with the Howell.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2014, 04:41 PM   #12
whiskeywiz
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Off topic, on topic... I'm not sure, but I put an MSD setup on. Tach wouldn't work. In the little research I did I found out that its common, and a filter is needed, and they aren't cheap, and IIRC the filter isn't always a lock for a fix. Could be off on the last point...

Let us know how it works out.
whiskeywiz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.