Howell TBI fuel injection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Howell TBI fuel injection

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaPremium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDG

Unread 02-01-2013, 08:53 PM   #1
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Howell TBI fuel injection

I'm considering pulling the trigger on upgrading to the Howell TBI Setup. I'm currently running a weber 32/36 and am just tired of it. the jeep runs good but it's always a vacuum leak, running rich, adj choke, adjusting air/fuel etc. I've been reading some write ups and they seem to be good but what I can't find it anyone's opinions on the difference it would make. How much better do the run? Will it see a power difference? mpg difference? currently only getting about 12mpg.

Lrasser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I can't comment on the mileage as I just don't put enough road miles on it to calculate. The improvement in throttle response is unreal vs. the weber I was running. My weber always ran great, idled smooth, ok power, and ran at angles pretty well, but the immediate response with the EFI setup is night and day.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks!!! Thats the type of info im looking for. Do you think it was worth the money? How difficult was the install?
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #4
yellow2kgt
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am also running the Howell efi. I can honestly say that I did not see much of a mpg upgrade over my well tuned mc2100. However, the overall drivability was greatly improved. Instant starts regardless of the temp and the fact that my wife no longer had to call me asking if she needed to pump the the gas to start the YJ was worth it. I have been running this setup for 5 years with no issues. The install is fairly simple and well documented in the instructions. My install took about 10 hours over a few days. The hardest part is thinning the original wiring harness and learning what is needed and what can be removed.
Howell EFI, BDS 3.5" lift, M.O.R.E 5/8" Boomerang shackles, 1" Daystar BL, 1" JKS MML, TFI, Crager soft 8s w 35" Dunlop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8, 4.88s, Dana 30 E-Locker, Terra Flex SYE, Tom Woods CV shaft, Warn M8000.
yellow2kgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-01-2013, 09:54 PM   #5
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I lready removed the old computer, any unneeded wiring, emisions, old vacum lines etc. will that be an issue then? i've already taken out anything that wasnt needed to run it as a carb setup. even a single wire alternator and dist. Is that going to make it hard to tie in the new system?
Unread 02-02-2013, 02:29 AM   #6
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrasser
I lready removed the old computer, any unneeded wiring, emisions, old vacum lines etc. will that be an issue then? i've already taken out anything that wasnt needed to run it as a carb setup. even a single wire alternator and dist. Is that going to make it hard to tie in the new system?
Probably. The Howell kit uses a lot of sensors that you have probably done away with already.

It's a good kit. Mpg gain will only change drastically if you drive it differently. Which will be impossible because it has more git up n go.
Unread 02-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #7
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

what original sensors does it utilize?
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:03 AM   #8
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrasser View Post
No, it won't make it hard to install at all.

However, suggest before you go the Howell route you consider what you are doing. Howell sells their kit as a complete system, essentially sourcing all the parts and pieces for you and combining it. What you will get is a GM ecm (the same one used in millions of gm installations from mid 80s to early 90s) throttle body MAP sensor, coolant temp sensor, O2 sensor, wiring harness and throttle body adapter, and with some kits you get a velocity speed sensor. the Howell system will control fuel only, not spark or ignition What you end up with after install is an electronically controlled precisely metered fuel system, and you retain your old ignition and spark control (vacuum and mechanical advance systems). If you need an emissions legal tested system, such as in California, Howell provides that.

IMO, the real advantages of fuel injection are when you get precisely metered fuel and precisely controlled ignition spark. That way, your ecm monitors the changing engine conditions and adjusts both, spark and fuel, so you remain with the best operating system under any conditions. For reasons I don't understand, Howell removed the wires that control ignition form the harness and just doesn't use that feature, though it is an integral part of the gm ecm and system.

If you are reasonably handy and can follow simple guided instructions you can make your own system from parts and pieces you procure yourself individually and have a system that controls both spark and fuel for around $400. There are detailed write-ups on the board, I have a couple saved in word format, and there are plenty of folks here and at Binder Planet that can advise how to go about it. I chose that way over Howell and I've been very happy with my TBI system. I'm not knocking Howell cause they sell a good product, have gotten the approvals for EPA compliance, and seem to give decent customer service and advice. However, IMO, their product lacks a key feature and is pricey.

As for responsiveness and performance, the fuel injection will be much better than you have now. Starts under all weather conditions will be completely reliable, your mileage should be in the 17-18 around town if you keep your foot out of the accelerator, and the gas smells and constant tuning will go away.

To answer your question, the only old sensors you had on your jeep that could be used by Howell are the MAP sensor and O2 sensor (I think the temp sensor is also possible, but would have to look at the specs to make certain). Howell gives you new ones anyway.
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thats great info. Thanks !!!

I've been reading a bunch of posts regarding building it from used parts and agree with what your saying. I've been searching for some time now and havent been able to find anything that shows what parts would/could be used. I would greatly appreciate any info your could assist me with.
Unread 02-02-2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

sent you a pm
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #11
Lrasser
1998 TJ Wrangler 

got it. I emailed you my email address

Thanks!
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I had issues with my ignition during the instal so I ended up swapping to HEI. The efi fires off the tach signal and I just wasn't getting one. Other than that the install was easy. I do like the idea if having a computer controlled ignition as mine is a little rough just off idle with lite throttle input. I should be able to tune that out with springs on the dist, but haven't messed with it yet

I would certainly check out piecing a kit together. The Howell kit is easy, but it you have the time you could save a lot of money. Personally I traded my weber and $250 for the Howell kit from a friend so I couldn't pass it up.
bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm in CA so had to have the sticker to be legal and got the Howell kit. Could not be happier and it's been about 5+ years. When I first installed it there was a big improvement but the whole thing really came alive after switching to an HEI distributor.

As for the wires, the first snip is the hardest.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrasser
what original sensors does it utilize?
My mistake. I'm sorry for leading you in the wrong direction. When I was going over the instructions of install it seemed like you kept a lot of stuff. Looks like you're piecing it together anyhow which is really cool. Best of luck.
Unread 02-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

The howell install instructions lists a lot of the GM part numbers and can be downloaded from their website.

Pieceing together a system would not be very hard but would take a lot of time to source everything and to make a proper wiring harness.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.