Howell Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Howell Help

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsLabor Day Sale!

Unread 09-09-2011, 10:58 AM   #1
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

Howell Help

I got back on the TBI - HEI install yesterday. I finished up and went to fire it up ... nothing just crank....
I started on trouble shooting this morning. It has spark, has tach, check engine light is on and stays on thru crank. Figured out that i wasn't getting gas.
I called Howell, he had me check this and that. I finally figured out that i had my fuel line / return lines switched. I hook up the pump to the correct line and left the return line dangling. Fire it up... starts right away, and idles half-way decent. About then i realize my garage floor is covered with gas. Didn't realize the return line,returned that much gas.... doh!!!!
I turn off it off. I ran hoses and got the lines all hooked up the way that they are supposed to be. Went to fire it up again... nothing... just crank, but this time I am getting fuel. I called Howell back, he said try to floor it, this will cut off all fuel, since maybe its flooded. Well it didnt cut off all fuel but it did sputter to a start, but just dies when I let off gas.
I am frustrated and don't know what I am missing.

Double_DD-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Flooring it while cranking is the clear flood mode.

Is the pump priming then stopping when you first turn on the key?

When I first installed mine it was running pretty rich and that turned out to be a bad MAP sensor. I would start with looking for codes if you can get an OBD 1 scanner, or do it with the blinking light method. It will show up as a 1987 Chevy light truck on the scanner so you can get more info about the codes form a chevy forum.

Howell support is very good but it works best if you do the basic tests before calling.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

When I floored it while cranking (while on the phone w/ Howell) it just poured tons of gas in. The guy at Howell said it should stop all gas when floored. Said my throttle needs to be adjusted.

When I turn on the key, the pump primes for a second or two. When I crank it, it spits gas in the TBI as it should.

What I get is, it fired up correctly the first time. Then when I put the hoses back, it doesn't want to fire up. I tried to re-create the scenario (with the return hose going into a gas can this time) still nothing.
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
89yjparrothead
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If it's flooded then try disconnecting the injectors on top of the throttle body. Crank it over and then when it starts, run back and hook up the injectors. You have to be pretty quick with this but it will at least allow you to clear it till you can get your problem solved. Good Luck!
Unread 09-09-2011, 11:48 AM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

or, disco the fuel pump until the flood clears
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #6
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

the only time it wants to start, is when i am giving it maximum gas. Then when it sputters to a "start", when i let off the gas, it dies.
Unread 09-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

OK, I got it up and going. It looks like I had turned the dizzy too much on install.

One thing, I got it up and idling good. right at about 800 rpm. I got excited and took it for a test drive around the block. It sputters until I get to about 2000 rpms and then smooth acceleration.
Ideas?
Why nothing from 1000-2000 rpms?
Is this a timing issue?
Unread 09-13-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

What do you have it timed at now?
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:27 PM   #9
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

I am going with the assumption that each hash mark is 2 degrees BTDC. So it's at idle at about 8 BTDC (4 hash marks). At 1600 rpm its at about 16 BTDC. It idles good right now and picks up rpms good (in the garage). All of these are taken with the vac advance off.

So I will test it again on the road, in the morning.

Those measurement about where it should be??? I know you are at 12 and others are around 8.
Unread 09-14-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Also make sure you're connections at the HEI are good, especially if you didn't use a plug and used spade connectors there. Ooy, I chased a problem there literally for weeks.

Also you're setting your timing at curb idle right, right around six to seven hundred rpm? I only ask cause some have set their initial timing at like 1200 rpm. I don't know where mine is other than at idle really.
Unread 09-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Double_DD-s

2008 JK Wrangler 

Does Port "J" on the TBI get plugged? If not where does a vacuum from J go to???

By the way, I passed smog today, even though it runs like crap.

And now my Jeep wont fire up again.
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:09 PM   #12
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

One of them gets plugged, but I don't remember. I can get out and take a look at mine tomorrow and snap a couple of pics or something.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.