Howell Fuel Injection: Emissions vs Offroad Kit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Howell Fuel Injection: Emissions vs Offroad Kit

G2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChRough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhumphrey View Post
I've heard about putting your own kit together from junkyard parts. I have a couple of issues with it. One, you don't really know what you're getting from junked parts and two, not sure what all I need to make it work. I don't have any junkyards around me, so that's an issue as well.
I did noth think to suggest that, and it is avlaid option.

Go to the howell website and get the jeep installation manual, it's free. There are part numbers for most of the stuff and it would not be hard to make your own kit. You would need to buy or may your own throttle adapter plate though. See how much they want for just the harness.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM   #17
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty

I did noth think to suggest that, and it is avlaid option.

Go to the howell website and get the jeep installation manual, it's free. There are part numbers for most of the stuff and it would not be hard to make your own kit. You would need to buy or may your own throttle adapter plate though. See how much they want for just the harness.
I guess I can check carparts to see what it would cost to piece together. I'm just worried about getting bad parts.
Unread 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM   #18
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berniebikes View Post
........ so for someone not really interested in putting something together themselves the system is nearly one source, plug and play (not entirely, but nearly).
Or for someone who doesn't have that option due to emissions laws.

But yest that's obviously a good option, if he's willing to take on the task.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #19
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe

Or for someone who doesn't have that option due to emissions laws.

But yest that's obviously a good option, if he's willing to take on the task.
I don't have emissions to contend with, so I'm going to look into piecing it.
Unread 08-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #20
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

jhumphrey, shoot me a pm. I did a lot of research on parts and what was needed. I'd be happy to share what I have so you can get an understanding of everything. I also might have a few items left over from my install that could help if you are interested.

Bernie
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:04 AM   #21
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The JY TBI will be better for emissions than howell because it controls spark. Besides the harness and tb every other part can be purchased for less than a howell kit! If you take your time and lay the wires out it is really simple. Here is some info and many of us have done it if you have questions.

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48769

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/j...te-up-1066016/

http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47254

From the jy you can expect a sensor or two to be bad. Mine i got needs a temp sensor and the iac cleaned, but even with those issues it runs 150% better than a carb.
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:16 PM   #22
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynmaker View Post
The JY TBI will be better for emissions than howell because it controls spark. Besides the harness and tb every other part can be purchased for less than a howell kit!
That's fine and dandy, but many people don't have the option, that's what jbolty and I were both saying. It's not legal for people in CA for example to do that.
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #23
Flingit1200s
2009 JK Wrangler 

Does anyone know what the actual difference is between the Howell "emissions" kit and the "offroad" kit?
"Rusty" is a 2009 JK, "X", 6spd, 2.5" Rock Krawler, Fox shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, AR Baja 15x8, Tuffy console, PIAA Fogs, 4:56 gears which are too low for this tire size, JCR front bumper, Warn winch.
Flingit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:11 PM   #24
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flingit1200s View Post
Does anyone know what the actual difference is between the Howell "emissions" kit and the "offroad" kit?
It's probably a $15 difference in O2 sensor and a $85 smog legal sticker.
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #25
jhumphrey
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
It's probably a $15 difference in O2 sensor and a $85 smog legal sticker.
Thats my guess too. I dont see any differences between the two, other than price
jhumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 08:35 PM   #26
Flingit1200s
2009 JK Wrangler 

very possible......lol
"Rusty" is a 2009 JK, "X", 6spd, 2.5" Rock Krawler, Fox shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs, AR Baja 15x8, Tuffy console, PIAA Fogs, 4:56 gears which are too low for this tire size, JCR front bumper, Warn winch.
Flingit1200s is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:03 AM   #27
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Howell's install instructions have a statement that for an emissions legal install you have to have a fully functioning catalytic converter, egr valve, pcv valve, canister and purge system, and a vehicle speed sensor. Their non-emissions install does not have a vehicle speed sensor, and the vehicle speed sensor is not supplied thru Howell, they will only tell you the sources. Not a lot of differences between the systems, but some. Personally, I think you are paying more for them getting the approvals than you are for different hardware
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #28
raynmaker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The great republik of california.
The howell is less of a system than you can put together from the jy. There must be a way to get approved for emissions. You guys are just screwed by everyone.

vss ideas
http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=50649

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.