Howell FI Air Filter - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Howell FI Air Filter

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Howell FI Air Filter

So the Howell kit is on and running like a champ, whats the best air filter setup to go on top? I see the instructions tell you to go buy a K&N and give you the part # but I don't see how that's going to clear the brake booster... anyone got experience here? (I did a search.. nothing conclusive). Thanks!

SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The main thing to keep in mind is that the neck of the Howell throttle body is 5-1/8" (5.125"). This is the same size as many carbs, so you can go from there and customize your filter setup to your desire using whatever size/shape carb style filter you like. The larger you can go on filter size, the greater the filter area, and thus the longer your filter will last without needing to swap in a new one. If you go off road, you might want to avoid the K&N style washable filters. They let a lot of small dust particles through.

I just picked up a round, generic carb air filter right off the shelf from my local parts store. Just been using regular STP brand filters for it. I think mine is about 11" diameter and easily clears the brake booster. I needed a neck spacer to better clear the electrical connectors on the throttle body.

Another option is to use a plenum type setup which would allow you to position the actual air filter in a location other than directly over the throttle body, let's the engine get cooler air if you position it right, and you can better protect it from water. A little more pricey than the carb style filters though.
NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I went to pep boys and got one of these. Clears everything with no issues. The Jeep will only pull so much air, the filter is the least of your restrictions.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...FUWo4AodsQgADw

I have read (even on JF as I remember) some tests which suggest than K&N reusable element gains flow at the cost of reduced effectiveness in filtration. You may want to google some test results before deciding.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
I went to pep boys and got one of these. Clears everything with no issues. The Jeep will only pull so much air, the filter is the least of your restrictions.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Edelbrock/350/...FUWo4AodsQgADw
I use this one too, well the chrome version cause it's like $14 at Napa.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #5
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Mine is just the stock box with an extension. Works fine.
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
SLCSmoker
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys, I went with the Edelbrock too after following the link. Fits great, looks great! Man this Howell FI turns it into a different Jeep completely.
SLCSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCSmoker View Post
Thanks guys, I went with the Edelbrock too after following the link. Fits great, looks great! Man this Howell FI turns it into a different Jeep completely.
I did mine last summer and was well pleased with the results. Howell was helpful especially when I had some issue due to the Duraspark pickup.

The one quibble is they could stand to reorganize the installation manual. All the information is there, but it's not all easy to find.

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
jay-h is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-10-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I just went with a stock filter housing from a 4.3, as I recall it was an astro van. The filters are cheap and I change it about every other trip to the desert; the dust out there is like baby powder.

If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.