How would you set up these Rigs? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How would you set up these Rigs?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How would you set up these Rigs?

I got a phone call a little while ago from a buddy of mine who just picked up a 91 YJ. He told me that he wants to turn the 91 into crawler or for trails, and his 89 YJ into a mudder. Then he proceeded to ask if I knew what engine, transmission, t-case, lift size, axle's, rims and tires he should get for both vehicles. Mind you, both YJ's are stock and equipped with the 2.5L and 5 speed transmission. He also stated that money isn't a problem that he wants the best.(I told him that it would be when he was done with both builds, but we will see how it goes..)But he also said that he wants to stick with Mopar for the engine and trans, and Dana for the axles. So I gave him my answer, but I just thought I would ask you guys and see what you think.

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."-Mao Zedong

"For Those Who Fought For It, Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know"-Unknown

00 TJ on 31x10.5x15's- DD
89 YJ-Under the Knife
R3V413 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #2
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Mopar 318 (5.2 Magnum) in both. NV 3550 trans. Atlas transfer case. D44 axles with 4.88's and OX lockers front and rear. Both jeeps same drivetrain, just different tires and suspension.
You can mail-order the whole thing from Quadratec except for the engines.
Let's see how deep his wallet is.
oldtime_ironman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
hesserdude07
1993 YJ Wrangler 

all depends on what he wants for set ups... he needs to decide what he wants and we can help more from that.
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:36 PM   #4
sbsg2005
1995 YJ Wrangler 

More specifics would help. Planned tire size, how hard he plans to wheel em, does he have a heavy foot, stuff like that would help. As far as the dana 40s never heard of em. Did you mean dana 44. If money is now object I would go with dana 60's front and rear or 60 front and 14 bolt rear. Engine, trans, and transfer combo sounds good though.
sbsg2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
phil1330
1964 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtime_ironman View Post
Mopar 318 (5.2 Magnum) in both. NV 3550 trans. Atlas transfer case. D40 axles with 4.88's and OX lockers front and rear. Both jeeps same drivetrain, just different tires and suspension.
You can mail-order the whole thing from Quadratec except for the engines.
Let's see how deep his wallet is.
What is a D40 AXLES???? Do you mean dana 44??

318 5.2 magnum....X2 Atlas tc..X2

Shop around Quadratec is over priced on most things.

Crawler dana 60s front and rear,lock the rear, stretch front and rear, tube fenders front, comp cut rear, BOGGERS, full cage, sliders (posion spider)...

Mudder..Dana 60rear dana 44 front,boggers,tsl?(either one really) soa,sye,locke the rear....

These are just suggestions.
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:07 PM   #6
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My mistake yeah I meant the D44
Unread 08-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
jeepinmichguy_
2003 TJ Wrangler 

How can we suggest anything with out knowing what size tire he is going to want to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
oldtime_ironman
Web Wheeler
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
How can we suggest anything with out knowing what size tire he is going to want to run?
^^^ X2. I'm not into mudding but I imagine it takes some fair midrange and top-end HP. But the main thing is, what size tires? I'm not into mudding, but I see a LOT of guys around here with full-size rigs. They all put 6" lift and 38" Swampers.

Far as crawling goes I really wouldn't know, but maybe jeepinmichgyuy knows about tires for crawlling.

We need to know what tires to use in order to tell what suspension to use.

I recommended the same drivetrain for both because that way he only needs to keep one set of spare parts for both - and also he's going to need the low-end torque for crawling, and the high-end HP for mudding. The 5.2 Magnum can do that. Also, the Atlas case is offered with different gears - it has either a real deep gear for crawling, or a regular gear for mudding. So the "crawler model" goes into the crawler, the regular model goes into the mudder. That way he can use identical axles on both rigs. I think it would be a good all-around compromise.

What do you think of that idea?

Unread 08-23-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
Tire size for the crawler 39's, for the mudder 37's

As to how hard he plans on wheeling em, easy at first, until he gets used to it then pretty heavy for both. Does he have a heavy foot. Not really, but he has his moments when he can.

If you guys have any more questions please let me know

Thanks for all the help

"Politics is war without bloodshed while war is politics with bloodshed."-Mao Zedong

"For Those Who Fought For It, Freedom Has A Flavor The Protected Will Never Know"-Unknown

89 YJ-Under the Knife
Unread 08-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #10
BriansCJ
1994 XJ Cherokee 

For the mudder
350 Built
SM465
Atlas
HP60, RCVs, spool, ect...
14B, spool, DISC brakes, ect...
44" TSLs
Unread 08-24-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
R3V413
2000 TJ Wrangler 

89 YJ-Under the Knife

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.