How will my dana 35 handle a locker with 33's - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How will my dana 35 handle a locker with 33's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-30-2006, 04:36 PM   #1
renegadeyj

How will my dana 35 handle a locker with 33's

When I upgrade tires from a 32 to a 33 I think I will probably throw in a locker, if my axle can handle it. what are your opinions on this setup.

Unread 04-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #2
jeep loser

Havn't blown mine up yet.
jeep loser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 05:08 PM   #3
atomicmoose
Just call me Moose

Works for some and not for others.... Just make sure you have spare parts with you.
atomicmoose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
RockWoRM
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Do U have gears? The lower ya go, the more chance ya take. I would go with a auto locker like a No-Slip or such. Good unit for not too much money. I would deffinately get some kind of truss. Those D35 tubes flex like most don't know. One reason guys do break them. Go easy on the skinny pedel and U should be OK.

I ran this combo on 33's for a few years with zero probs.
http://65.42.106.152/forums/showthread.php?t=727690
Had a truss... but I allready sold it.

WoRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 05:59 PM   #5
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I haven't had any problems and my D35 has been locked for 6 years. If you are going to lock it maybe consider a Super35 kit that comes with a locker and high strength axles. I drive mine like it has a D35, carry spare shafts and everything else I need to fix it on the trail (unfortunately that all adds up to about a 100 pounds of extra gear I need to tote around). I have an auto so that helps absorb some of the shock loads. While we all know the D35 is the greatest, how long it lasts is usually up to the driver. I've seen a couple break in person and MANY videos on the internet and in EVERY case the breakage was driver error.

Example 1:
Observed: No forward progress due to loss of traction (results in bouncing in place)
Drivers Solution: Mash the go peddle (bounce more and higher)
Result: Snap

Example 2:
Observed: No forward progress due to things being in a bind (great traction everywhere so tires are not turning)
Drivers Solution: Mash the go peddle

I have seen the about two examples time and time again. Unfortunately everyone blames breakage on a crappy D35 instead of crappy driving.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
Bob_R
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have had one also for several years now. I did add the bigger axles for a better feeling of security. I'm fully locked with 4:88s, it's great, no problem crawling over lots of rocks, as already said just don't be stupid. Have fun.
Unread 04-30-2006, 09:20 PM   #7
z71offroader

it depends on a few things which most have been already discussed. such as how hard are u on it, how low of gears ur running, and also which locker ur using, and what power ur pushing to them.
i see u have the 4.0 so 4:10s or 4:56s is probably the ratio ur looking at?
93 YJ- SOA, R.E 1.5" Leafs, Custom paint, 35x16 Boggers,15x10 97 series rockcrawlers. Diamond plated interior and exterior, Tera SYE/CV DS, Herculined Tub, Bestop, Warn Bumpers w/ 9.5ti, 8.8" rear, D30 front, both ARB's with 4:88's, Super 88, Posi-Lok, Alpine Stereo, Tuffy Security, Hella Fogs, ProComp Spots, and much more.

07 2500HD D-Max CC LB Black Ranchhand Bumpers, MBRP 5" Straight Piped Exhaust, Edge Evo, N-fabs, 305/65/18 BFGs on Black Motos, much more soon to come!

(Sold)03 Z71- 33x12 BFG Muds, American Racing Victor Teflons, K&N intake, Gibson Exhaust, Ranchand bumpers, Hypertech programmed, Hella Spots, 12" JL sub, and much more.
z71offroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 09:32 PM   #8
renegadeyj

Right now I have stock gears, but I think when I go to 33's I will switch to 4:10's. I think though now that I have thought about it, I dont really want to spend money on an axle that I will replace, because after I get out of college I plan to spring it over and run 37's. I may just try and find a cheap 8.8 and do an axle swap. I just cant see myself spending alot of money on a crappy axle.
Unread 04-30-2006, 10:05 PM   #9
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

It will not be a problem, especially if you have a 4 banger. Less horse power means less chance of breaking. I ran a Detroit in a D35 for 2 years. Went over the Rubicon twice, and other trails of similar quality. I don't think I even got close to breaking. You simply have to drive in a controlled fashion. Be aware of what you have.

I recently upgraded to D44s because I got sick of the response people gave me when they learned that I had a D35.

You have a 4.0 so you need to be more careful with the power you apply in hardcore situations.

My feeling about the D35 is that the ring and pinion is as likely to break as the shafts. I have a friend who broke the ring and pinion on his D35 on the gatekeeper at Rubicon. The shafts held up fine. That is the problem with a Super 35 kit. It gives you D44 strength shafts but leaves you with a weak ring and pinion.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #10
crazymon01
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i am runnin 32's with the 410's and locked with lock rite locker and havent had any problems yet.. i bout to upgrade to 33's jus take it easy. jus remember u may be drivin a gernade with the pin pulled..
307 -> 411 gear swap
lock rite locker on the dana 35
33 x 12.50 Mickey Thompson radial MTZ
4.5" Rubicon Express heavy duty Suspension Lift
currie boomerang shackles
8,000 lbs. Winch
bikini top
tonneau cover
pictures?? http://www.cardomain.com/id/ironm98
crazymon01@aol.com
crazymon01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2006, 01:08 AM   #11
Alheim
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJeeper91
Example 1:
Observed: No forward progress due to loss of traction (results in bouncing in place)
Drivers Solution: Mash the go peddle (bounce more and higher)

Example 2:
Observed: No forward progress due to things being in a bind (great traction everywhere so tires are not turning)
Drivers Solution: Mash the go peddle

I have seen the about two examples time and time again. Unfortunately everyone blames breakage on a crappy D35 instead of crappy driving.
Haha, excellent post GJ
Alheim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.