How wide is your front bumper? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How wide is your front bumper?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 08-30-2014, 05:39 AM   #46
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

But tj bumpersare made as thick as a tin can. My jeep came with one and I couldn't do anything with it because it was so flimsy. I bought a used stock bumper and am running that.

Unread 08-30-2014, 08:04 AM   #47
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICEKILA View Post
"tanks"

Wait till you see where I put my ax --
I'm already considering using your tab-through-shovel-head idea (though not on the front - my pass-through tube is blocked by the bumper mount)... so please do PM me if you post your ax idea somewhere else - or I guess just put it in this thread
Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #48
gtg413i
2003 WJ 

Mine are chopped to the frame. Nice and thin.
image.jpg

Unread 08-30-2014, 10:32 AM   #49
Richard_

1995 YJ Wrangler 

JeeperDon do you any more pics of your bumper ?
Richard_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 12:59 PM   #50
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
I'm already considering using your tab-through-shovel-head idea (though not on the front - my pass-through tube is blocked by the bumper mount)... so please do PM me if you post your ax idea somewhere else - or I guess just put it in this thread
I might bolt it to the side over the rear tire or finding a TJ rear bumper --- make it a air tank and mount it on the face or on top - maybe / kinda / sort-of
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #51
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_ View Post
JeeperDon do you any more pics of your bumper ?
Here you go... The main plates making the box are 1/4" stock. The wings are 1"x3" 3/16" stock.
img_7336.jpg   img_7337.jpg  
Unread 08-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #52
bpounds

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I like the idea of painting the tow hooks yellow. You can get hurt on those things, and having them stand out from the bumper is a good thing. Looks pretty good too.
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2014, 05:23 PM   #53
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the responses & ideas. I think I'll chop it to about 54" & run it that way for awhile. If I like it I'll cap off the ends & paint everything. I would consider changing the bumper, but the bumper, frame, and winch plate, which was built using 1/2" plate steel, and are all welded together pretty solid and cutting it all off just isn't worth it.
On my last jeep I had replaced both bumpers with tube bumpers I had bought from Quadratec. I don't remember the brand but they were junk. 2 winters and both had rusted through. This thing is so heavy it would take 40 years to rust through.
Unread 08-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #54
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I like the idea of painting the tow hooks yellow. You can get hurt on those things, and having them stand out from the bumper is a good thing. Looks pretty good too.
I think I found my next welding project! This is the rear bumper, have had it since 1998. It looks innocent enough when driving behind the Jeep, but at this photo angle I'm suddenly amazed it hasn't been a problem on the trail.

Since the Jeep is pretty tall, when working in the rear cargo area I have to straddle it. The hook pointing up has grabbed the crotch of my pants a few times, can be scary (especially when as you get older your pair of guy parts tend to hang down further).
imag0044.jpg  
Unread 09-01-2014, 11:12 AM   #55
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Here are some before and after pictures. I cut 10" off each side of the bumper leaving it at 50". Now all that's left is to cap off the ends and then I can unbolt the winch and paint everything.

I also included a few pictures f the winch mounting plate and you can see why I don't want to try cutting it all off to put a different bumper on. I don't like the way the tow hooks look like theyre crowded by the gussets but I think I'll have to live with that.

jeep1.jpg

jeep2.jpg

jeep3.jpg

jeep4.jpg

jeep5.jpg
Unread 09-01-2014, 01:55 PM   #56
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowplowdog View Post
I don't like the way the tow hooks look like theyre crowded by the gussets but I think I'll have to live with that.
That big front face with the fairlead doesn't really do much on those outer edges. You could remove a couple inches off both ends of the face and not hurt any capability or strength.
Unread 09-01-2014, 03:58 PM   #57
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
That big front face with the fairlead doesn't really do much on those outer edges. You could remove a couple inches off both ends of the face and not hurt any capability or strength.
I could cut about 3" off the drivers side but only about 1" off the passenger side. Awful lot of work to do it though, both the gusset and face are welded solid on both sides and it's 1/2" thick steel so I think I'll just leave well enough alone. It's bigger than it needs to be but theres enough room between the gusset and the hook to easily get a chain in there if need be so I can live with it. Maybe once I get the ends of the bumper capped and painted it won't bother me so much.

fairlead.jpg
Unread 09-01-2014, 07:42 PM   #58
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I like to weld, so if it was me, I'd strip the whole thing down and start over. It's your Jeep, not the PO's any longer. As is, it's like buying a house and not painting over the old owners ugly colors.
Unread 09-02-2014, 12:08 AM   #59
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I kind of liked the looks of it when it was super wide. Made it look unique! Like you do a lot of ramming!
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2014, 10:50 AM   #60
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDon View Post
I like to weld, so if it was me, I'd strip the whole thing down and start over. It's your Jeep, not the PO's any longer. As is, it's like buying a house and not painting over the old owners ugly colors.
Its a project I may consider when I have more free time but for right now with the hours I'm working, and bow hunting season almost upon us, I'm not going to be having much of that. I still have a list of other thing that need to be done before before I start heading up north every weekend to try to stick bullwinkle.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.