How wide is your front bumper? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How wide is your front bumper?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-27-2014, 07:54 AM   #16
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICEKILA View Post
A little shorter than my shovel --

Unless that's just for looks and around town, buddy - that's a trail nightmare waiting to happen. Going to assume it's an around-town Jeep since you have highway tires on the Jeep, so no problem there.

Mambo_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 09:05 AM   #17
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo_Dave View Post
Unless that's just for looks and around town, buddy - that's a trail nightmare waiting to happen. Going to assume it's an around-town Jeep since you have highway tires on the Jeep, so no problem there.
He just pushed the shovel through the frame tube and called it done, agree with you, pretty poor.

I made this bumper a couple months ago. The wings protect the fenders without getting in the way crawling. All 1/4" steel.

1392696155-l.jpg

Unread 08-27-2014, 11:25 AM   #18
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

Now that's a bumper Don! I may have to borrow that design.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:32 PM   #19
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You've never seen what passes for trails up here

I'd have to - "try" to snag sump-tin

And dont make fun of my 31's --
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 12:49 PM   #20
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
A little shorter than my shovel --

Quote:

I like it. I put mine up next to the hi-lift on the hood, but when I saw your picture I thought it was a good idea. These guys around here think everyone is boulder hopping in their Jeep. Just one paradigm and they think we all have to conform to their idea of off-roading. Besides, what's the worst that can happen? A broken $20 shovel. Roll on!

How did you secure it?
bpounds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 01:26 PM   #21
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

I'm not making fun of you in any way.

I run 31's as well - but there is a difference between tire tread patterns. I'd never make fun of someone's size of tires, and wouldn't even make fun of highway tires. (In fact, if I can afford and find another YJ - red, totally stock, hard top, stock wheels ... I will have non-off-road tires that very well may be smaller than 31" on it for a daily driver / rain driver.) But I will state what I see.

31" tires:

Unread 08-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #22
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpounds View Post
I like it. ... These guys around here think everyone is boulder hopping in their Jeep. Just one paradigm and they think we all have to conform to their idea of off-roading. Besides, what's the worst that can happen? A broken $20 shovel. Roll on!

How did you secure it?
I'm not going to tell you the things I've seen happen, but I come from Pennsylvania which pretty much has the same terrain as his in NY.

Down here in FL I don't even have boulders, but I do take mine off-road in places other than open farm fields - and there's no way I'd run that here.

If you're that clueless, or if you live out in the middle of the open desert, go for it. You'll learn the hard way like many of us did, or you'll be golden and still wondering what woods-running Jeepers can get into accidentally.

You may come to realize that soft balloon next to his steel shovel head is called a tire. They aren't that strong, and aren't filled with concrete. You may even start to compare the pictures you've seen in this very thread... studying the thickness of many of our front bumpers. Then, sometime a few decades from now a little light bulb will blink on above your head, you'll put 2 and 2 together, and realize that a metal shovel head with a point will cut a tire or brake line fast if that shovel's handle is not as tough as the bumpers most of us are using. My guess is that it isn't, but that Jeeper may very well have the mother of all shovel-handles for bumper use.

Come to think of it - all these Jeepers in the thread - except you of course - are crazy for having steel bumpers at all. Why, I agree with you - if that shovel is strong enough, then a simple wooden or fiberglass front bumper is all any Jeep needs for off-road use. These guys - I'll tell ya ... they just spend money foolishly on steel parts. Can you believe the OP started this thread about a cast-iron tube bumper? Comical I tell ya. A simple wooden pole with a metal spike at each end for a bumper... that's all anyone needs. After all, what could go wrong up front there? We aren't Jeeping over boulders in most states.

Now where is that PVC door and Roll-cage thread at? We have some teaching to do to those guys.
Unread 08-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #23
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You still don't get it. Not everyone goes out breaking stuff. We don't all need 8.8 axles. We don't all need armor. I've been off-roading pickups for over 40 years, and have never bent a bumper (not totally true, I have dragged *** plenty of times.) I drive responsibly. I stay on roads, because it is illegal to drive across country. I'm pretty sure I can spend a day off-roading without running into stuff. I don't waste my time going to off-road "parks" where the only goal is to see how fast you can break something. I have no problem with those who enjoy that sport. But what is it that makes you assume all Jeep owners do that stuff?

The point is, so many here on JF only see other Jeeps through the lens of how they use their own Jeeps. And show little respect for anything less extreme. You were the one that felt it was necessary to criticize how someone else chose to do something, and the parrot crew has to jump right on.
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM   #24
Mambo_Dave
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You still don't get it. Not everyone goes out breaking stuff. We don't all need 8.8 axles. We don't all need armor. I've been off-roading pickups for over 40 years, and have never bent a bumper (not totally true, I have dragged *** plenty of times.) I drive responsibly. I stay on roads, because it is illegal to drive across country. I'm pretty sure I can spend a day off-roading without running into stuff. I don't waste my time going to off-road "parks" where the only goal is to see how fast you can break something. I have no problem with those who enjoy that sport. But what is it that makes you assume all Jeep owners do that stuff?

The point is, so many here on JF only see other Jeeps through the lens of how they use their own Jeeps. And show little respect for anything less extreme. You were the one that felt it was necessary to criticize how someone else chose to do something, and the parrot crew has to jump right on.
But unlike California, I know what New York (off roading / woods areas) is like, and I also know the snow and ice he'll face on even multi-lane highways in mid-winter.

Snow, ice, and a hill (of which NY and PA have many)... is all it takes to make a Jeep, or anything, into a bumper car at even a 3 MPH slow-slide. I just think that what you consider even mild off-roading mishaps is what other parts of the country see every few months out of the year while on the roads.

I was not disrespectful to him, but I can be to anyone suggesting something unsafe and life threatening. The man owns a Jeep Wrangeler, not a Civic, in New York; there is every indication that he could take it out on tree-lined trails or ice-lined roadways. A guard rail could make that shovel shove-in just as fast as a tree.

I doubt he'd carry a shovel at all if he didn't see even marginally tougher conditions than the paved highways and open fields of California.
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #25
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Fair enough. I guess we've hijacked the thread enough.

I've got a stock bumper, with the bumperettes removed. I've been tempted to shorten it, but I think I might stick some LED driving light in it, so I have just left it alone for now. Keeping options open.
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
Shadownwpa

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:

But unlike California, I know what New York (off roading / woods areas) is like, and I also know the snow and ice he'll face on even multi-lane highways in mid-winter.

Snow, ice, and a hill (of which NY and PA have many)... is all it takes to make a Jeep, or anything, into a bumper car at even a 3 MPH slow-slide. I just think that what you consider even mild off-roading mishaps is what other parts of the country see every few months out of the year while on the roads.

I was not disrespectful to him, but I can be to anyone suggesting something unsafe and life threatening. The man owns a Jeep Wrangeler, not a Civic, in New York; there is every indication that he could take it out on tree-lined trails or ice-lined roadways. A guard rail could make that shovel shove-in just as fast as a tree.
Maybe you could give it a rest.. He was asking what other people have for bumpers, not for your speech on safely storing tools. If he wants a stubby bumper thats his call, not yours or anyone elses. I know people around me that run a stubby bumper. In PA the shovel storage might be a problem but still... It doesn't matter as that jeep is nowhere near here anyhow. Overreact much?
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:21 PM   #27
RICEKILA
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How did you secure it?

Quote:
I'm not making fun of you in any way.
Didnt say you did
RICEKILA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:34 PM   #28
bgredjeep
1987 YJ Wrangler 

My bumper is as wide as the frame rails. My previous bumper (now my wife's bumper) is about 6" wider than this one.

bgredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #29
bpounds
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

For the OP, the pic is dark so I can't tell, but are you saying it is cast iron, as in cast iron sewer pipe?

Cast iron is a very poor material to use for a bumper. Too brittle. If it is really drain pipe, you're going to have a fun time sawing it. Plumbers snap it off with a chain crimp tool. You can't weld to it either, which explains why it is clamped on with straps.

Or maybe you just meant steel, and not really cast iron at all. I would get rid of a cast iron bumper for sure.
Unread 08-27-2014, 08:24 PM   #30
snowplowdog
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
For the OP, the pic is dark so I can't tell, but are you saying it is cast iron, as in cast iron sewer pipe?

Cast iron is a very poor material to use for a bumper. Too brittle. If it is really drain pipe, you're going to have a fun time sawing it. Plumbers snap it off with a chain crimp tool. You can't weld to it either, which explains why it is clamped on with straps.

Or maybe you just meant steel, and not really cast iron at all. I would get rid of a cast iron bumper for sure.
I'm not sure its cast iron, I said it appears to be cast iron. It has an outside diameter of about 4" and is 1/4" wall pipe. After looking closer the passenger side is slightly kinked which leads me to believe its not cast. Plus it is welded and none of the welds have cracked so it probably is just steel pipe that someone had left over from some other project and decided to make a bumper out of it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.