Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How well does your e-brake hold?

759 views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  RAYMAN975 
#1 ·
How well does your e-brake hold? I was to the point of going to the floor with the e-brake and it not holding, so I got out the FSM and did the whole adjustment procedure...now it is hard to get it to go past 6 clicks,and holding a hell of alot better...but on a 45 degree uphill incline or so, it still seems to want to creak and groan and roll back some. ( I tested and tightened about 4 times, but don't want to tighten any further..Im near the end of the adjustment bolts limit.)
How strong should it be?

#2 ·
This won't help with your adjustment, but I trust you had the recall done on the e-brake? They replace the complete under dash pedal unit. Apparently the old unit can release unexpectedly. Since you are talking about the pedal part holding ok though, an old/new pedal unit is not your problem.

45 deg is huge! I doubt the design was ever expected to hold at that angle. If it holds in 'normal' conditions and roadway hills, it is fine. On 45 deg situations on the trail off-road, my trans in 1st and a 4:1 tcase do a fine job of keeping the truck still. THEN I can add the brake if I wish.

#3 ·
My e-brake never worked. My buddy's rolled into a car one day. I just don't trust it. I just leave it in first gear no matter what. To scary for me to depend on a 13 year old rusted e-brake cable.

#4 ·
JeeperDon said:
This won't help with your adjustment, but I trust you had the recall done on the e-brake? They replace the complete under dash pedal unit. Apparently the old unit can release unexpectedly. Since you are talking about the pedal part holding ok though, an old/new pedal unit is not your problem.

45 deg is huge! I doubt the design was ever expected to hold at that angle. If it holds in 'normal' conditions and roadway hills, it is fine. On 45 deg situations on the trail off-road, my trans in 1st and a 4:1 tcase do a fine job of keeping the truck still. THEN I can add the brake if I wish.
Looks like I'll be talkin to my local Chrysler dealership on monday.

Anybody have a link to where I can find this TSB?

#8 ·
I had the recall done on my e-brake a few years ago just because there was a recall so i figured it needed to be done. Never really had a problem before then but about 2 years later it wouldnt hold at all, would never stay engaged and all this was after they did the recall work. I just took it back in a few weeks ago and they replaced it again but told me first that they didnt think it would be covered under any kind of warranty but they did end up fixing it for free again. I have a bad feeling that i will be in the same situation in a few years again and im sure they wont want to keep replacing the e-brake petal. I would say that if youhavent had any problems with the petal not staying engaged dont take it back to the dealer, i know i wish i never did.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.