Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

How water proof is a 95 YJ

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Que89YJ 
#1 ·
So we finally got some rain in Florida and i found some mud holes. The question is i have mud everywhere inside is it safe to spray down the dash or is it strictly wipe-down.

#2 ·
I would suggest that an aftermarket radio may not be very waterproof. If you have one installed, like I do. Other than that, mine has seen a pretty decent amount of rain with no noticeable effects.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#3 ·
I pressure wash mine all the time. From May to September I don't even have a top on. And yes a marine radio is not waterproof. It is only built to prevent corrosion. There is an international waterproofing code. Look it up I don't remember. My radio, according to that code, has been tested with direct high pressure water.

#8 ·
derailed75 said:
Dont know about auto radios but for CCTV cameras its an IP rating, like IP66 means zero dust intrusion and it can take a high pressure water jet for 5 minutes with no intrusion.
Exactly what I have. IP66

#9 ·
Rag clean.
Pull your dash apart. It's easy. That way you'll know how the gauges are assembled.
While it's apart, clean all the connections and use dielectric grease on the connections to keep corrosion at a minimum.

If you're going to be using your Jeep for aquatic activities, be sure all the vent hoses are there, in good condition, properly routed and have the valves on the ends.

If you have an automatic, watch the depth. The vent is in the torque converter housing about 3/4 of the way up.
You don't want to flood it unless a relative owns a trans shop and likes you.

Reactions: bruinjeeper
#10 ·
The connectors on these jeeps are water resistant not water proof. Take some time and use dielectric grease on the connectors. You don't need to cram it in the connector but a light coat on the surface and in behind where the wires go into the connector will help make it more water tight and check the corrosion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.