How warm should my hubs get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How warm should my hubs get?

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!

Unread 06-08-2013, 06:24 AM   #1
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

How warm should my hubs get?

I have a Dana 60 on the rear and a Dana 44 on the front. I lost a bearing a few months ago and now have been getting into the habit of checking if any of my other hubs are getting hot. I've only had it back on the road for a couple days and only have a six mile trip to work. When I get to work they are ALL warm to they touch. Just seem weird for such a short trip. Any thoughts?

Wyogunman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:14 AM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Heat from the brakes???? It should be warm to the touch, the heat from the brakes will travel to other metal parts. By they should not be at a temp that would burn your fingers or hand.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
Heat from the brakes???? It should be warm to the touch, the heat from the brakes will travel to other metal parts. By they should not be at a temp that would burn your fingers or hand.
Agreed. Warm to the touch is fine. The rotors are dissipating heat and a lot is absorbed in the axle/hub. Sounds like everything is as it should be.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #4
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I can't believe I didn't think of that. I guess early morning just got to work posts are not such a good idea. Haha.
Unread 06-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thank you
Unread 06-08-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Don't worry about your post that is what the forum is all about. It is here for everyone newbie to expert. A great place to collaborate and learn. Happy trails!!!

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-17-2014, 04:01 PM   #7
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I know this post was a while back but turns out my Dana 60 was low on fluid. Since it's a full floater the bearings didn't have enough lubrication. I thought it was high enough but with a SOA and the axle turned up it actually needed to be higher. Long story short I now have a new 60 in the rear. Just a FYI for anyone running this setup.
Unread 03-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #8
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I've never worked on a Dana 60 full floating axle but isn't that when you have a spindle and the bearings ride on that? Which would mean they are a sealed unit with wheel bearing grease? On yours it sounds like the gear oil lubricates the bearings. Is that right?

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Wyogunman
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Yes. Gear oil lubricates the bearings

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.