How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt eliminator - 56K beware - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt eliminator - 56K beware

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-26-2009, 10:32 PM   #31
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks.

I'm in the process of designing another new truss for it. One more coat of polish. The cardboard template is finished & I'll be cutting the steel plate for it tomorrow.

If I finish the truss tomorrow - I'll post a thread for that as well.

Next in line on the drawing board is a new SUA HPD30 truss since I've had quite a bit of folks interested in me making that for them. It shouldn't be too hard.

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #32
Goobersbro

so is the passenger side leaf perch bigger than the drivers since the tube has a larger diameter..... or did you just grind it out to make it for... or am I an idiot and its the same size as the driver???
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:45 PM   #33
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You got it right if you mean the diameter.

My passenger side axle tube still uses a few inches of the original tube at the inner C, and the housing. The larger tube I bought & installed simply slides over the factory tube & doubles the thickness at the ends and is welded to the original tube.

The perch shoulder on the driver side is rather tall (it's an RE SOA offset perch). The new passenger side perch has a lower shoulder height & was made to fit 3 to 3.25" axle tubes, so it fit perfectly with the 3" DOM & I didn't have to alter it at all to get the right height.

Hope that makes sense.
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:48 PM   #34
Goobersbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
You got it right if you mean the diameter.

My passenger side axle tube still uses a few inches of the original tube at the inner C, and the housing. The larger tube I bought & installed simply slides over the factory tube & doubles the thickness at the ends and is welded to the original tube.

The perch shoulder on the driver side is rather tall (it's an RE SOA offset perch). The new passenger side perch has a lower shoulder height & was made to fit 3 to 3.25" axle tubes, so it fit perfectly with the 3" DOM & I didn't have to alter it at all to get the right height.

Hope that makes sense.
Oh okay yea I am considering doing this mod later on when I go SOA but wasn't sure how that would work with the perches
Unread 06-26-2009, 11:02 PM   #35
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

It should work fine for anybody that runs a 1 piece passenger side axle shaft, SUA or SOA.

No ubolts hanging down (especially for a SUA rig) is a good thing.

Certain care must be taken when welding near the seal that's inside the diff & you need to make sure the tube is the correct length, and to set the castor correctly. Those are a couple of gotcha's you'll want to ensure get done right the first time.
Unread 11-04-2009, 08:36 PM   #36
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Update:

I have had some folks voice doubt that my ubolt eliminator design would hold-up to severe abuse. Well, after a handfull of local runs, an additional ~10 days in Colorado & Moab wheelin', there are zero signs of fatigue & all is perfectly well.

The axle is now equiped with a truss I designed & installed. There's lots of polish on this little ol' HPD30.

Finished but before the truss was welded in:

Unread 03-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #37
TeddyN
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I think it is fantastic! i am working with my first SOA with my daughters jeep and plan to use my GI bill to learn to be a better fabricator. lots of ideas. like rebuilding your 30 instead of a swap. i would love to know all about the warn hubs and so forth.

Ted
Unread 03-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #38
Fernando
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow Mr. Dillard

I wish I had your skills and shop, this looks amazing! Is this at your garage? certainly looks better than many shops around here!

There really is another level for what you can do in your home in the US in terms of fabrication and tools... I guess it may have to do with the great variety of tools you can have access to.

Someday I would like to have a home shop like you do. Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHammer
I don't mind writing for Fernando because he reads, and re-reads EVERY WORD!... Good to write for someone that actually READS the answer, and takes time to UNDERSTAND what comes back for an answer!
-------------------------------
Fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2010, 01:38 PM   #39
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyN View Post
I think it is fantastic! i am working with my first SOA with my daughters jeep and plan to use my GI bill to learn to be a better fabricator. lots of ideas. like rebuilding your 30 instead of a swap. i would love to know all about the warn hubs and so forth.
Ted
Thanks.

I did the Warn hub conversion kit several years ago before the price crept up - plus I got a good deal on it and installed it with the help of a friend who had done several.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando View Post
Wow Mr. Dillard

I wish I had your skills and shop, this looks amazing! Is this at your garage? certainly looks better than many shops around here!

There really is another level for what you can do in your home in the US in terms of fabrication and tools... I guess it may have to do with the great variety of tools you can have access to.

Someday I would like to have a home shop like you do. Congratulations!
Again, thanks.

I did all the work at my home in the garage. While nowhere near as complete as some others - I do have a 1/2 way decent set of tools that I have gathered over the years.

This is the backside of the truss welded to the tube:

Unread 04-10-2010, 02:32 PM   #40
provinT13
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Wait, so you just sleeved the inside of the axle and welded it with some rosette welds? Did you have to do anything with the bearings or seals?

94 YJ Build

99 TJ Build
provinT13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2010, 06:17 PM   #41
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by provinT13 View Post
Wait, so you just sleeved the inside of the axle and welded it with some rosette welds? Did you have to do anything with the bearings or seals?
Nope - imagine completely removing (chopping off) the vacuum disco housing portion of the passenger side, leaving all the original axle tube in place that you can. Then sleeving the outside of the remaining tube.

This provides for a good portion of my axle tube to be ~1/2" thick.

As you can imagine, axle tube length needs to be paid special attention, as well as castor when welding everything together.

I welded the new DOM directly to the old exposed tube since I left a small gap between the DOM & the housing, and also a small gap at the inner C. Then went back & ran a second bead.

The plug/rosette welds were just a bonus.

All seals & bearing were left in place. However, I took precaution not to overheat them by running several relatively short beads.
Unread 09-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #42
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Nope - imagine completely removing (chopping off) the vacuum disco housing portion of the passenger side, leaving all the original axle tube in place that you can. Then sleeving the outside of the remaining tube.

This provides for a good portion of my axle tube to be ~1/2" thick.
I have had a few folks ask about the above. So to give folks an idea, this pic is close to how my axle tube looks as far as thickness is concerned (the one to the right ).

Plus, it's trussed.

Unread 02-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #43
RedRubiconLJ
Web Wheeler

2013 JK Wrangler 

Nice write up!! Great Job!
34" Toyo AT2's

Sold 2005 Red Rubi Unlimited
Jeep Pics

2004 TJ sold
1993 YJ sold
RedRubiconLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2011, 10:01 PM   #44
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRubiconLJ View Post
Nice write up!! Great Job!
Thanks.

It recently survived 8 more days out in Johnson Valley, so I suppose its doing okay for what I have put it thru.
Unread 01-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #45
NBFarmboy
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Not to dig up a older thread, but just have to say, Great Job!!, and an even better write up!!
Thank You!
"Bullfrog" 88 XJ 4.0, Doorless, 2" lift, 33-10.5 tires, very cut fenders...
NBFarmboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.