How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt eliminator - 56K beware - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt eliminator - 56K beware

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #1
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

How to: Vacuum Disco Elimination, Axle Tube Sleeve Fix, ubolt eliminator - 56K beware

Last year while wheelin’ in Colorado with some friends, I developed a serious crack underneath my passenger side SOA perch. The problem didn’t surface till the next day while I was in Moab doing a relatively easy trail. All the sudden my front axle started making some interesting noises, and looked as if I had balljoint issues at first glance. So Randy (Rock_Worm) and I got out to take a look. Next thing I know, Randy say’s something to the effect – hey Joe, I think I’ve found the problem”.

Anyway, we did a trail repair & then towed it back to our campsite in Moab. The following day, Randy, Larry & I welded it back up as a temporary fix so that we could continue wheelin’ for the next week. It has held up fine ever since & has several other trail runs on it – but I wanted a more permanent fix. So, this is where my “Disco Elimination & Axle Tube Sleeve Fix and ubolt eliminator” begins.

Here’s what the initial crack looked like:

Face of the axle tube:

View from underneath:

View from the back:

So, back at my campsite, I borrowed a friend of mine’s Lincoln MIG welder and we cleaned up the crack and welded it back as best we could.

My friend Larry, from WA, helping do some welding:

Beginnings of the repair:

Okay, now that I’ve explained how my troubles started – here’s what I’ve done as a more permanent fix. Yea, it’s a HPD30 and some may say; “why polish it?” This fix cost me a grand total of ~$30.00 for the 3”x.250” DOM, including hardware. I already had everything else laying around my garage.

I had a pair of perches, so I got some 3”x.250” DOM and started doing some measuring.

I secured the Jeep on jack stands & pulled my tire, then started to remove the Warn hubs:

Then I removed the Warn spindle & Vanco calipers and rotor:

Joe Dillard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #2
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Next was to remove the Warn passenger side axle shaft:

Remove the steering links from my MORE steering bracket:

Remove & tape up the axle breather & ARB fitting:

Then the drive shaft and secure it out of the way:

Next up was to remove the ubolts & spring plates:

HPD30 removed. You’ll notice I didn’t bother removing the brake rotor, hub spindle etc from the driver side since there was no need.

Now it’s time to start chopping up the disco housing & completely remove it so I could sleeve the tube with the DOM.

I opened up the vacuum disco block-off plate and stuffed a rag in it so that debris wouldn’t enter the tube as I cut portions of the tube off:

As you’ll notice here – I cut off the tube close to the axle perch so I could take advantage of as much of the axle tube as possible when I sleeve it.

Here’s the outer portion of it that I’ll reuse. Notice how I marked the tube so that when I reattach it – my caster should be correct:

Next up, I opened up the disco housing block-off plate & move my rag to the inside of where I’d be making my second cut.

Vacuum disco gone:

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #3
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

No, Iím not a dentist there are some deburring tools I use to help remove those nasty/pesky burrs after cutting:

Then I removed the old RE axle tube shock mount:

Cleaned up the axle tubes with a flap disc:

Test fit of the new sleeve, perch & rechecking castor with my angle finder:

I drilled some holes in the new sleeve so I could plug-weld it in place:

Test fit & checking castor:

Marking the new spring perch for welding:

Fabricating new spring plate and ubolt eliminator plate:

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:52 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Since I did a 1Ē wheelbase stretch some time ago Ė I needed to drill an offset hole in my spring perch so the centerpin has an exit:

Measure twice Ė drill once

Ubolt eliminator test fit:

Plug welds complete & beginnings of the sleeve welded:

Spring perch & ubolt eliminator tact welded & angle rechecked:

Starting to paint/reassembly & getting ready for final welding:

Perch & new lower shock tabs welded:

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Nothing ever goes perfectly Ė right?

I checked the tube and noticed that the rag I put in it earlier was accidentally left inside. No big deal, I took a broomstick handle & retrieved it:

Thatís better. Notice the ARB crosspin:

On to the reassembly. Brakes, steering, spindle, shocks, check:

Drive shaft, breather ARB Ė check:

Unread 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Hubs & tires, check:

Well, thatís about it. This is just the first fitting. Iíll be changing this design in the future, but you get the idea as to why & how itís done.
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM   #7
ghost183
1992 YJ Wrangler 

wow joe...

you actually made it look easier than what i thought it would be.. very nice, and clean!!
Important Notice:... DUE TO RECENT BUDGET CUTS, STOCK MARKET PERFORMANCE, RISING COST OF ELECTRICITY, GAS AND OIL... THE LIGHT AT THE END OF THE TUNNEL HAS BEEN TURNED OFF.... WE APOLOGIZE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE............ Regards:... THE GOVERNMENT
ghost183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

First class work man. Very nice.
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
EnFuegoUno
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sweet!!!....
EnFuegoUno is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
bartolo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

never thought it could be done nice job and very clean
bartolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
havasu
On permanent vacation

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I wish I had half the ambition that you have Joe! Great write up!
havasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks guys.

I must admit - it was time consuming, and I could have done thing better in certain areas. I'll address a few items in the next couple days. EG: paint, better hardware, and a couple other items.

I took it for a test drive today. Other than the need to adjust my drag link, everything seems fine so far.
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #13
Brads_nky_yj

Bout frikin time Dillard!
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:43 PM   #14
RockWoRM
Don't Fear the Jeeper

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I think this shows how a little fab skill and willingness and patience can "get 'er done"!

I am currious where ya came up with the u-bolt eleminator idea? Looks cool, though.

Pic for nostalgia sake.

WRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 CHOPPER View Post
Knowledge is a tool, without knowledge, you are just a tool.
RockWoRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 11:15 PM   #15
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

That was NOT a "happy camper Kodak moment" for me Randy.

It was certainly nice to have you along to assist/advise/pitch in wherever you could. Looking forward to our next run together.

As far as the ubolt eliminator approach I did goes - I thought "what easier way is there than this?" Plus, it's cheap, easy to make, and effective.

I have seen a few designs that are a little bit like mine, but not completely.

What I like alot about it is that it seems I can torque each bolt to specs easier and that the bolts are out of harms way a little better than before.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.