How-To: TJ Axle Shaft Conversion - Page 7 - JeepForum.com

 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of 117 Old 11-13-2010, 08:35 PM
timatoe
Registered User
 
timatoe's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Grass Valley California
Posts: 14,877
Ohhh, gotcha, you were referring to smoothing the shaft itself for the seal. I think I misread it the first time.


Quote:
Originally Posted by George Orwell
We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
timatoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #92 of 117 Old 02-08-2011, 01:07 AM
two_much_talk
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: West Michigan
Posts: 388
wish I would have found this sooner !!!
two_much_talk is offline  
post #93 of 117 Old 05-05-2012, 02:41 PM
mitchs1224
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: clermont
Posts: 153
question about the seals? i looked up the seal from napa # (11800) thats referenced on here, as well as the one from quadratech refrenced in another thread and they seem to be very diff. the one from napa looks like a thin o ring type seal and the one from quadratech that is recommended looks like a sealed bearing type oil seal any idea which one is right?
mitchs1224 is offline  
post #94 of 117 Old 05-05-2012, 03:35 PM
NHfireLJ
Web Wheeler
 
NHfireLJ's Avatar
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchs1224 View Post
question about the seals? i looked up the seal from napa # (11800) thats referenced on here, as well as the one from quadratech refrenced in another thread and they seem to be very diff. the one from napa looks like a thin o ring type seal and the one from quadratech that is recommended looks like a sealed bearing type oil seal any idea which one is right?
I'm pretty sure this has been cover numerous times in the thread, anyhow...

There is no seal on the passenger side differential with a 2 piece shaft, the seal is down by the disconnect , so when you install the one piece shaft you now need a seal on the passenger side diff... the axle tube isn't machine for a seal there (so there is no lip) in the tube, so the napa 11800 fits perfecly in there, just tap it in a 1/4 -1/2 inch or so...

Trust us, just get the Napa 11800, it'll work... There is also no need for a seal down by the disconnect now...

LUCY...2005 Unlimited "LJ" Rubicon Sahara #495 Build thread. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/my...hread-2778642/

BETTY...94 SE, Stroker 4.6, 4.5,lift,35"s,D30 Aussie, 8.8. Sold
NHfireLJ is online now  
post #95 of 117 Old 05-05-2012, 04:50 PM
wayno32m
Member
 
wayno32m's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: N.Central Ma.
Posts: 444
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHfireYJ View Post
I'm pretty sure this has been cover numerous times in the thread, anyhow...

There is no seal on the passenger side differential with a 2 piece shaft, the seal is down by the disconnect , so when you install the one piece shaft you now need a seal on the passenger side diff... the axle tube isn't machine for a seal there (so there is no lip) in the tube, so the napa 11800 fits perfecly in there, just tap it in a 1/4 -1/2 inch or so...

Trust us, just get the Napa 11800, it'll work... There is also no need for a seal down by the disconnect now...
He speaks the truth the NAPA 11800 (custom seal,kinda) fits perfect in the passenger side it is different from the (stock) drivers side . I did this MOD and it works
wayno32m is online now  
post #96 of 117 Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 PM
mitchs1224
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: clermont
Posts: 153
thank you!

i would like to thank jeep forums and everyone who answered my questions over the last few weeks, today i did the solid axle conversion and with the exception of a couple small brain fart's that where totaly my fault, the job went great, i pulled the carrier seated the new seal NAPA 11800!!!! , and replaced the drivers side seal while i had it apart, none of this would of been possible with out all the great info i found on here. the research i was able to do was irreplaceble!!
mitchs1224 is offline  
post #97 of 117 Old 03-19-2014, 03:30 PM
XJ93
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,539
Just because I plan on doing this myself in a couple weeks, the plastic "slinger", is it really needed? Not sure if $8 shipping is worth it for a $2.99 part if it isn't needed. Could I just put a seal on the end of the tube and call it good?
XJ93 is offline  
post #98 of 117 Old 03-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Flajeeper1
Registered User
1987 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lakeland, FL
Posts: 732
Yes, Alloy USA makes axles seals for then end of the tubes. They have zerk fittings and help to keep water and mud out of the tubes.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetrai...&t_pn=ALY11103
Flajeeper1 is offline  
post #99 of 117 Old 01-03-2016, 08:04 AM
mustanggarage
Member
 
mustanggarage's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: atlantic
Posts: 266
just FYI the pictures on this thread are not working. I appreciate the time you took to put this thread together and I still found useful information from the written parts. It is too bad I can't see the pics it would make it even better. but again thanks for doing the work of writing up the conversion.
mustanggarage is offline  
post #100 of 117 Old 06-16-2016, 03:17 PM
ThatGuyCollin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 379
Does anyone have pictures on this? If I do this could I use the "outer piece" from my current axle. I am referring to the part that goes in the wheel bearing and is connected to the TJ axle shaft by the U-joint.

94 YJ 2.5 w/ 33x12.5's, 4.88s
ThatGuyCollin is offline  
post #101 of 117 Old 06-16-2016, 03:53 PM
mustanggarage
Member
 
mustanggarage's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: atlantic
Posts: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuyCollin View Post
Does anyone have pictures on this? If I do this could I use the "outer piece" from my current axle. I am referring to the part that goes in the wheel bearing and is connected to the TJ axle shaft by the U-joint.
this is where I did mine. I took some pictures, and did a bit of a write up on it. it starts towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...69/index5.html


as far as using your outer axle shaft my recommendation is to use the tj shaft and ujoint because it is stronger than the pre 95 ujoint. why do you want to use your outer shaft anyway were you not able to find a complete axle? because you can easily find them on ebay. you can swap in a 270 x ujoint if you decide to use your outer shaft. I just bought new shafts with new ujoints all as a unit.
mustanggarage is offline  
post #102 of 117 Old 06-16-2016, 05:01 PM
ThatGuyCollin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 379
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanggarage View Post
this is where I did mine. I took some pictures, and did a bit of a write up on it. it starts towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/j...69/index5.html


as far as using your outer axle shaft my recommendation is to use the tj shaft and ujoint because it is stronger than the pre 95 ujoint. why do you want to use your outer shaft anyway were you not able to find a complete axle? because you can easily find them on ebay. you can swap in a 270 x ujoint if you decide to use your outer shaft. I just bought new shafts with new ujoints all as a unit.
I was hoping to have matching u-joints without switching the driver side axle shaft. So the 270x works with a TJ inner and a YJ outer? Why does this work if they are different sizes?

94 YJ 2.5 w/ 33x12.5's, 4.88s
ThatGuyCollin is offline  
post #103 of 117 Old 06-17-2016, 07:13 AM
mustanggarage
Member
 
mustanggarage's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: atlantic
Posts: 266
I know you can buy a ujoint for a 95 wrangler and swap it into a 90 wrangler. I did this on mine. I am not sure if mixing the shaft ends will work. if you want the same size ujoints, one option would be to use a non CAD cherokee shaft. pre 95 they have the same ujoints. I know the 95 and tj ujoints are the spicer 297 x. I wrote it wrong above. they are supposed to be stronger. I don't know if you can just swap the inner shaft or not. but it is pretty easy to swap both to the tj axle and then they would match. you can find the drivers side shaft on ebay for about 50.00 I THINK the tj ujoint will work in the early shaft but I am not sure about that. the reason I think that is when I went to oreilly to get my new ujoint they sell one that it is for 87-06 wranglers. so they must measure the same. some have a grease zerk, some don't. I think the ones without the zerk are stronger. sorry I wish I was more sure and could help you more, on this but I only know what I have done.
mustanggarage is offline  
post #104 of 117 Old 06-17-2016, 07:35 AM
ThatGuyCollin
Registered User
1994 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 379
I am just going to get the shafts for both sides. It is $30 from a local pull-a-part for everything. Then I will just put in new u-joints and call it good.

94 YJ 2.5 w/ 33x12.5's, 4.88s
ThatGuyCollin is offline  
post #105 of 117 Old 06-17-2016, 08:32 AM
mustanggarage
Member
 
mustanggarage's Avatar
1990 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: atlantic
Posts: 266
that is what I would do. be aware the tj bearing hub will not work on the yj. once you get it on and put the brake disk on and tighten the lug nut, the wheel won't turn. so you have to use the yj hub. also, if most places tell you to use that napa 11800 seal. I found the EAS seal that I put in mine, I put the number on my page. anyway that seal is much easier to use.
mustanggarage is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
TJ axle shaft conversion in YJ YJ_Aaron YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 28 05-26-2011 11:50 AM
front outer axle seals and axle shaft runout... mudb8 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 32 01-02-2011 12:49 PM
XJ shaft conversion question czjeeper YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 11 12-20-2009 06:35 PM
axle shaft touching pinion shaft kit05 TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 08-22-2009 12:42 PM
TJ axle shaft conversion? Lavacrawler YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 16 01-02-2004 09:39 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome