How-To: TJ Axle Shaft Conversion - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > How-To: TJ Axle Shaft Conversion

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 11-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #76
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Went to NAPA and they didn't have the part ANYWHERE, nor did any other parts stores.

Not Any Parts Anywhere...lol

and yeah, I read about 10 posts saying the 11800 seal didn't work for them, so pound sand noobie

I found one that works though

alex_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2010, 04:43 PM   #77
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I have a late 80's XJ axle with disconnect going into my TJ. Anyone have confirmed part numbers for the seals? I keep getting conflicting information everywhere. Searched extensively and read the Stu Offroad article.
Going by this post I'm wondering why you are posting in this thread looking for a seal. This thread is about the total opposite of what you are doing, its about going from a disconnect to a full shaft from a TJ or XJ. So if you have a TJ and are looking for advise to do the opposite maybe you should look in the TJ forums but my guess is that you can not put a split shaft into a TJ axle because you do not have the disconnect fork or even the space to install the sleeve to engage the two shafts together.. But.. if you are just swapping the full axles, then you would just have to ask any counter person for the seal that fits the late 80's XJ axle tube.. right?
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM   #78
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djsthe1 View Post
Going by this post I'm wondering why you are posting in this thread looking for a seal. This thread is about the total opposite of what you are doing, its about going from a disconnect to a full shaft from a TJ or XJ. So if you have a TJ and are looking for advise to do the opposite maybe you should look in the TJ forums but my guess is that you can not put a split shaft into a TJ axle because you do not have the disconnect fork or even the space to install the sleeve to engage the two shafts together.. But.. if you are just swapping the full axles, then you would just have to ask any counter person for the seal that fits the late 80's XJ axle tube.. right?
I don't think you understand. I'm putting the disconnect axle into my TJ, but using the TJ shafts and knuckles. Why the hell would I want to put a split shaft into a TJ housing? That's ludicrous. Why don't I pull my 4.0 and put in a 2.5 while I'm at it?

I am essentially doing exactly what is being discussed here, the only difference is that the axle will be under a TJ, not an XJ.
Unread 11-09-2010, 07:32 PM   #79
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_c View Post
I don't think you understand. I'm putting the disconnect axle into my TJ, but using the TJ shafts and knuckles. Why the hell would I want to put a split shaft into a TJ housing? That's ludicrous. Why don't I pull my 4.0 and put in a 2.5 while I'm at it?

I am essentially doing exactly what is being discussed here, the only difference is that the axle will be under a TJ, not an XJ.
Your right.. I don't understand, why would you be swapping axle tubes..
Unread 11-09-2010, 08:13 PM   #80
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Your right.. I don't understand, why would you be swapping axle tubes..
He's swapping the entire D30 into his TJ, probably because the XJ and YJ D30's are high pinion and the TJ is low pinion.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #81
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timatoe View Post
He's swapping the entire D30 into his TJ, probably because the XJ and YJ D30's are high pinion and the TJ is low pinion.
Ahhh good point, just not used to TJ guys wanting to install YJ stuff on their jeeps, usually its them trying to prove that they are better in some way..
Unread 11-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #82
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ahhh good point, just not used to TJ guys wanting to install YJ stuff on their jeeps, usually its them trying to prove that they are better in some way..
IT'S FROM AN XJ

LOL
Unread 11-10-2010, 02:18 PM   #83
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

OK, Alex... please explain to us because clearly we don't understand...
Unread 11-10-2010, 06:52 PM   #84
Bigwilly
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Seems as though he is in his own little world!
Bigwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:12 PM   #85
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, I understand its from a XJ its still a VAD system, why install it in a TJ then use the full axle shaft? And how he stated Napa didn't have the 11800 seal "ANYWHERE", Napa just like any other parts store is more than gladly order it for you annnnd any other part store can cross reference the part number for you.. Well thats how I got mine and it works fine..
Unread 11-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #86
mudmovers
1995 YJ Wrangler 

My friend is doing this conversion right now (it's being done to an XJ, but the tech is the same). You are correct, the housing is not machined for a seal to be installed in the center section. The seal will fit in the CAD housing, as the original tech article explains. If you smooth the area of the axle where the seal will ride, it should be fine. He used a fine grit sanding disc and smoothed out the rough stuff, and the polished with an emery cloth to get it more like a machined sealing surface. I anticipate that it will seal fine, and there is less headache of dealing with the removing the pumpkin. Time will tell for sure! Good article to the OP, btw, and thanks for the tip about the drivers side seal being correct...I found this forum through searching for information about what seal to use.

Jon
mudmovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #87
alex_c
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yea, I understand its from a XJ its still a VAD system, why install it in a TJ then use the full axle shaft? And how he stated Napa didn't have the 11800 seal "ANYWHERE", Napa just like any other parts store is more than gladly order it for you annnnd any other part store can cross reference the part number for you.. Well thats how I got mine and it works fine..
I went to napa with that number, and they did not have one that matched that part number in any of the locations in my area. They could order one but it would take weeks. I went elsewhere and found something that worked.

I'm putting a XJ HP d30 into my TJ for a few reasons:

High pinion = better DS clearance and drive line angles.
No crush sleeve = Easier to change pinion seals/work on the axle in general
4.10 gears = Could not find a TJ axle available for a good price that had 4.10 gears to match my 8.8
Reverse cut gears = Gears "pull in" when being driven, as opposed to a low pinion setup that "pushes away". This results in a stronger R&P setup.

I couldn't find one with 4.10 gears without the VAD. I removed the vacuum actuator, shafts, knuckles etc from the housing, made a block-off plate and I will replace everything save the housing and gears with TJ stuff. Why? So my unit bearings and brakes are TJ parts, not XJ stuff. This saves me from having to buy all new parts. I COULD use a cable disconnect system and retain the two piece shafts, but I would rather not spend the $250, and I like the idea of less moving parts. Also, my TJ shafts use bigger U-joints than the XJ shafts that came with the axle assembly.

...why would I NOT use the full axle shaft when my jeep was never set up for a VAD system to begin with?
Unread 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #88
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmovers View Post
..... You are correct, the housing is not machined for a seal to be installed in the center section. The seal will fit in the CAD housing, as the original tech article explains......
That's all fine, but if you put a seal in the CAD section the axle shaft will destroy it, as it's not machined to have a seal in that spot, but it is at the pumpkin. Same process applies at that location though if the seal won't quite fit, light sanding/grinding etc...
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #89
mike_breaker_5
Web Wheeler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

a relatively simple task has become a tragic train wreck. it's not brain surgery. just relax, drink a beer or 12, and just goose-fraa-baa.

it's not much to look at... but it's mine.
5.2lswap, metalcloaks, bedliner, tucked belly, d60's, soon to be nv4500 and d300.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...r-junk-990191/
mike_breaker_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2010, 01:00 PM   #90
mudmovers
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudmovers View Post
If you smooth the area of the axle where the seal will ride, it should be fine. He used a fine grit sanding disc and smoothed out the rough stuff, and the polished with an emery cloth to get it more like a machined sealing surface. I anticipate that it will seal fine, and there is less headache of dealing with the removing the pumpkin. Time will tell for sure!
Your point is correct, Timatoe, if no other precautions are taken. But my hope/expectation is prepping the axleshaft in the area where the seal will now sit, if installed in the CAD housing, will allow a good seal without the additional headache. Will report back after a bit to see how it goes My only concern is about runout along the length of the axleshaft and having a seal in the middle, rather than at either extreme end. The seal fits nice on the area the smoothed out where it will ride in the middle, but runout could be the cause of failure, if it happens.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.